What went wrong with my T Stirmi's molt?

Buzzeo

Arachnopeon
Yesterday my (now 10") T stirmi female molted and I noticed the area around her eyes is bald. What is this from? Her diet is mainly super worms and sometimes large crickets. Other than this she seems completely healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Sometimes pieces of the old skin don't come off cleanly. Diet isn't a factor, but lack of moisture/humidity is, and that cage looks too dry for a Therphosa.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Looks like she had a rough time molting so the old and new exo rubbed together. That sub looks like coco fiber to me which I personally would not use for a Theraphosa. If you switch to something like chemical free potting soil then I think your microclimate will be better for a molting spider. This spot is on a tough part of the carapace so I wouldn't worry much and on the bright side she looks like she has a mask.

Buzzeo

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the replies and feedback. I'll provide a better suited enclosure for her needs. Shes moulted 3 times in my care living on cocofiber, I never saw it as a poor choice of sub until now. Thankfully I have the chance to correct it without losing a beautiful T.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Thanks for the replies and feedback. I'll provide a better suited enclosure for her needs. Shes moulted 3 times in my care living on cocofiber, I never saw it as a poor choice of sub until now. Thankfully I have the chance to correct it without losing a beautiful T.
What's the top like? Screen is terrible as it ruins the microclimate and exposes them to drafts, fumes, and sprays. Tarantulas can easily chew thru screen.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Shes moulted 3 times in my care living on cocofiber, I never saw it as a poor choice of sub until now.
Its not. I've used it before in several T. stirmi enclosures for years without issue. Its actually quite good at retaining moisture, and isn't as hydrophobic as peat when its dry. There are other alternatives as well, such as topsoil, etc. I wouldn't recommend organic potting soil...this can often host an infestation of fungus gnats, and sometimes contains manure or other questionable ingredients. The key to maintaining proper humidity is to keep the substrate moist while restricting ventilation, but not completely.