How visible are MM B. boehmei tibial hooks

Sharno

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi all -

I have a supposedly MM B. boehmei and he's gorgeous and quite fuzzy, for lack of a better word.

I stay away from handling, prodding, picking up my tarantulas when possible, and despite peering at him at various angles around the cage, I am just not quite sure I see tibial hooks yet. I could be missing it; in other MM I have, it's quite easy to spot.

I just want to make sure I am not overlooking it.

Is it usually pretty apparent from a view outside the cage or does he need to be picked up and inspected closer?

Thanks.

skippydude

Arachnobaron
Tibial hooks should be very visible on boehmei. Ultimate molt will change the appearance of the T all together, it will look thin and gangly, with long legs, bulbous pedipalps, plus the presence of emboli

Sharno

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Got it! Thanks to both of you. The emboli isn't visible either, the t in question just seemed so large. Must be a molt away. Which, of course, could be a year, lol :)

Thanks!!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Don't look for tibial hooks! 30 genera don't have them. Look for the emboli at the end of the plaps.

scott99

Arachnoknight
Don't look for tibial hooks! 30 genera don't have them. Look for the emboli at the end of the plaps.
I agree, now that being said, from what I have read MM B. boehmei have tibial hooks.

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I agree, now that being said, from what I have read MM B. boehmei have tibial hooks.
Yes they do but it's usually much easier to look at the pedipalps through an enclosure if the T is in a position where you can't see the undersides of it's front legs. If you're not sure of every genus that does or doesn't possess hooks it just makes it easier if you check the palps first.

Good luck.

Ludedor24

FangzTv
Old Timer
Also MM boehmei are very apparent . They have much fluffier legs and are a stark red, obviously with sexual organs but you wouldnt even need to see them to know. Just google mature male b.boehmei and you'll see what I'm talking about

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi all -

I have a supposedly MM B. boehmei and he's gorgeous and quite fuzzy, for lack of a better word.

I stay away from handling, prodding, picking up my tarantulas when possible, and despite peering at him at various angles around the cage, I am just not quite sure I see tibial hooks yet. I could be missing it; in other MM I have, it's quite easy to spot.

I just want to make sure I am not overlooking it.

Is it usually pretty apparent from a view outside the cage or does he need to be picked up and inspected closer?

Thanks.
Please post photo of you male, just to be sure is not one of the many so called hybrids.

Jose

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Got it! Thanks to both of you. The emboli isn't visible either, the t in question just seemed so large. Must be a molt away. Which, of course, could be a year, lol :)

Thanks!!
Out of curiosity, do you know the T is male? Your OP sounds like someone else told you it was a MM so I'm guessing that you recently acquired the T? Seeing as it's not a MM you may have lucked out and got a female (unless of course, you wanted a MM for a breeding project).

Good luck.

Sharno

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Out of curiosity, do you know the T is male? Your OP sounds like someone else told you it was a MM so I'm guessing that you recently acquired the T? Seeing as it's not a MM you may have lucked out and got a female (unless of course, you wanted a MM for a breeding project).

Good luck.
He was sold to me by an AB member who I trust and came with a recent molt. I had the molt sexed by a local expert. The seller did think he was MM then when he packed him up, called to apologize as he did not see evidence of maturity - I said no problem, my females aren't going anywhere and there's no rush.

I will try to get a picture of him later and post it. As I mentioned, I hate disturbing them in their habitats for any reason. Based on the feedback in this thread, it sounds like he's maybe one more molt away.

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
He was sold to me by an AB member who I trust and came with a recent molt. I had the molt sexed by a local expert. The seller did think he was MM then when he packed him up, called to apologize as he did not see evidence of maturity - I said no problem, my females aren't going anywhere and there's no rush.

I will try to get a picture of him later and post it. As I mentioned, I hate disturbing them in their habitats for any reason. Based on the feedback in this thread, it sounds like he's maybe one more molt away.
Ah okay, thanks for the clarification.

Good luck with the breeding project.

skippydude

Arachnobaron
Some boehmei can get pretty big before "hooking out" I had what I thought was a pen male, he molted and now is a solid 5 1/2" and still not mature

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
They do, but many people get in the habit of looking for hooks (and use that terrible term 'hooking out' for all males maturing), and get in trouble when they have hookless males mature. They'll have adult males and not know it. It's FAR better to look for emboli, and they're easy to spot because the palps are short and don't have the normal foot segment; the bulb is red and shiny and easily seen from the side. That guarantees a male, lack of spurs doesn't. Besides, I can almost always tell an adult male at a glance without seeing hooks or emboli, because they're built more slender and leggier.

Sharno

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here is my boy. Of course, the expert could have read the molt wrong, but I am pretty confident in him. bboehmeimale.jpg

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here is my boy. Of course, the expert could have read the molt wrong, but I am pretty confident in him. View attachment 136201
It might be a boy but it's not a B. boehmei.

Jose

---------- Post added 04-29-2015 at 04:17 PM ----------

Here is my boy. Of course, the expert could have read the molt wrong, but I am pretty confident in him. View attachment 136201
Can you post photo of the female that you want to pair up with your male?

Jose

Jose

Last edited:

Sharno

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So if it is not B. boehmei what is? The person I bought it from here on AB has a good reputation.

I don't have a picture of the female, she is with a friend.

Thanks.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So if it is not B. boehmei what is? The person I bought it from here on AB has a good reputation.

I don't have a picture of the female, she is with a friend.

Thanks.
It's not the reputation of the member on AB that is in question. Is the fact that these spiders are hybrids/boehmei/baumgarteni or of the same species. Your specimen is not the true boehmei at all. I will get back with you I have to go to a driving class for speeding that I have to attend.

Jose

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Please take the time and read thru some of this threads.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?248735-B.-baumgarteni
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?273640-Hybrid-Brachypelma
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?271592-Rescued-B.-Boehmei.
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?249690-Mr.-Baumgarten-is-this-your-bug
I know it's a lot to read but you need too, specially when you want to mate your male and female. I still would like to see a photo of your female and if you have a molt of the female, please post a clear photo of the spermathecae.

Jose

Last edited: