Xenesthis sp. "Blue" eating a gold fish

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is the first time that I have decided to feed any of my spiders a gold fish. So far so good with the feeding. And is the only decent photo the I can post I did not want to disturb her to much.

Xenesthis sp. "Blue" eating a gold fish

awiec

Arachnoprince
Very cool, before people loose their minds over a spider eating a fish, many of the native fishing spiders in my area will catch and consume minnows, thats not all they eat but they aren't going to say no to a big meal. I even kept a Dolomedes with a shallow bowl of water and would stock it with a minnow or aquatic larva and watch it go to town.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very cool, before people loose their minds over a spider eating a fish, many of the native fishing spiders in my area will catch and consume minnows, thats not all they eat but they aren't going to say no to a big meal. I even kept a Dolomedes with a shallow bowl of water and would stock it with a minnow or aquatic larva and watch it go to town.
Well I also decided to give my Xenesthis sp. "White" and my Sphaerobothria hoffmanni gold fish, both tarantulas are eating well. It seems that some of my tarantulas like their new menu.

Jose

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
jealous tried to offer my genic a little runt rat roday [not yet weaned and fairly skinny] and she was like look foo, nevermind.. only more or less smacked it with palps and front legs =[ i do have some pinkies tho XD maybe in a few days shell nom those XD i dont get goldies they ALWAYS have ick here [aquatic keeper, and dont even want the possibility of that nasty stuff gettin in my tanks] =[

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Very cool, before people loose their minds over a spider eating a fish, many of the native fishing spiders in my area will catch and consume minnows, thats not all they eat but they aren't going to say no to a big meal.
It's not the idea of a spider eating a vertebrate that's a problem, it's that tropical fish may have had various chemicals in their water, or been in dirty/contaminated water. Feeder fish don't get deluxe treatment in pet stores. I'm sure some tarantulas will eat fish in the wild. But I wouldn't take the risk of using feeder fish for my spiders.

awiec

Arachnoprince
It's not the idea of a spider eating a vertebrate that's a problem, it's that tropical fish may have had various chemicals in their water, or been in dirty/contaminated water. Feeder fish don't get deluxe treatment in pet stores. I'm sure some tarantulas will eat fish in the wild. But I wouldn't take the risk of using feeder fish for my spiders.
I never bought minnows I usually caught them myself or bred them in a kiddy pool. I certainly wouldn't feed a goldfish, they are not treated the best and are stressed all the time.