Customization for ExoTerra enclosure

ThrunThru

Arachnosquire
Summer is nigh and I need suggestions / help before the heat waves strikes!

During the month of May, my G.Pulchra's enclosure will be changed (interior). Already that she doesn't feel comfortable when the temperature goes 24,5C and higher, I'm not looking forward to see her in a bad mood..

The terrarium is from Exo Terra and it's the small/tall one (18” x 18” x 24”) which I've converted it unto a wide one. The problem is that there isn't ventilation on top (originally the front, though there is only mesh on top) because of the glass doors. Has any one found a solution to it, as to remove the glass doors and install something else that can allow air flow? Also, would computer fans be a good idea to force ventilation? thx

PS : I live in the top floor in an apartment; the sun wakes up in front of my window :p

cold blood

Staff member
Ok, clear this up for me....it used to have front ventilation...there is no top ventilation....where/how is it ventilated. How 'bout a pic?

A fan in the room is good, I would not force air through/into the enclosure with a fan.

Make sure the t isn't in that window, the sun will rocket the temps otherwise....you probably already do this, but I'm throwing it out there just in case.

miserykills

Arachnosquire
Ok, clear this up for me....it used to have front ventilation...there is no top ventilation....where/how is it ventilated. How 'bout a pic?
It's the small, tall exo terra tank so there's ventilation on the top of it. But they're putting it on its "back" so it can be a long tank for their terrestrial. So now the "top" is the "side" and there's no top ventilation since that's where the doors that are usually in the front are.

ThrunThru

Arachnosquire
It's the small, tall exo terra tank so there's ventilation on the top of it. But they're putting it on its "back" so it can be a long tank for their terrestrial. So now the "top" is the "side" and there's no top ventilation since that's where the doors that are usually in the front are.
Precisely that.

cold blood

Staff member
Well if the side, which is ventilated, is now the top...isn't the top then ventilated?

A pulchra shouldn't require much ventilation.

ThrunThru

Arachnosquire

A fan in the room is good, I would not force air through/into the enclosure with a fan.

Make sure the t isn't in that window, the sun will rocket the temps otherwise....you probably already do this, but I'm throwing it out there just in case.
Side.jpg

I've got a fan in my room already.
None of my Ts are by the window.

cold blood

Staff member
I think that's fine, I wouldn't worry about it personally. If that were an arboreal or a t that required moist sub, it would be a different story.

Whats the thing with the plug in front of the t?

I'd fill that with substrate up to the top of the dam you've created.

ThrunThru

Arachnosquire
I think that's fine, I wouldn't worry about it personally. If that were an arboreal or a t that required moist sub, it would be a different story.

Whats the thing with the plug in front of the t?

I'd fill that with substrate up to the top of the dam you've created.

That thing is simply a temp reader. And filling the substrate up to that dam might be a little too high, unless I may do just that, but only half the other side.

cold blood

Staff member
That thing is simply a temp reader. And filling the substrate up to that dam might be a little too high, unless I may do just that, but only half the other side.
I'm talking about the black thing....

It won't be too high, as it sits now its simply not a safe enclosure for that t...you need to reduce the distance from the top to the substrate.

I cannot comprehend "but only half the other side"

ThrunThru

Arachnosquire
I'm talking about the black thing....

It won't be too high, as it sits now its simply not a safe enclosure for that t...you need to reduce the distance from the top to the substrate.

I cannot comprehend "but only half the other side"
That's right, that black thing is THE temp reader. The other on the side is the humidity gauge.
I'll add about 1'' of false bottom, then 4'' of mixed substrate and on the 'original' bottom side of the terrarium more soil as to create (or setup) it's hide on a hill.

BUT, the only thing that bothers me is the glass door due to its lack of ventilation by simply having it there.. If there is any custom made (mesh or plexiglass with holes type of doors) that someone constructs already online AND with the how-to install that, I would be very happy. By the way, I do have a local custom Plexiglass shop nearby lately. But somehow I would need some ideas from someone who has already done that - to replace ExoTerra's glass doors with something else. I think to myself : ''Maybe a sliding panel of door would be good, but I don't know...

Thinking about this (for me, currently) overwhelms me. I would appreciate a lil' boost though of somewhat. :)

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It would simply cost less to get a standard aquarium fitted with a reptile lid, than to mess with custom replacing the doors on that exo terra. (If you're really that worried about ventilation...the doors aren't air-tight, and there's a black ventilation strip beneath them. Exo Terra enclosures are super-ventilated really.)

By the way, that humidity gauge is worthless; and the "black thing" is meant to go on the outside of your enclosure, with only the temperature probe placed in the enclosure...

cold blood

Staff member
It would simply cost less to get a standard aquarium fitted with a reptile lid, than to mess with custom replacing the doors on that exo terra. (If you're really that worried about ventilation...the doors aren't air-tight, and there's a black ventilation strip beneath them. Exo Terra enclosures are super-ventilated really.)

By the way, that humidity gauge is worthless; and the "black thing" is meant to go on the outside of your enclosure, with only the temperature probe placed in the enclosure...
I agree completely. Humidity gauge is a paper weight, and for a pulchra, I just don't get why its even there, they don't really have humidity requirments...same for the temp gauge...Its a Grammy, it can deal with the 50's if it has to.
If you're heating the enclosure, don't.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
18" is waaaay too tall for a pulchra. It would be awful to lose such a nice spider to a falling injury. I agree with vespers, just get an aquarium and save the exoterra for another pet.

assidreemz

Arachnosquire
I feel as though the spider is definately going to chew on tht nice soft rubber cord...
Also mesh is a no no with ANY species, esp on the side where the spider will certainly climb. Don't add a mesh top!! Will kill the micro climate and will write a death sentence for tht poor black beauty!!

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Also mesh is a no no with ANY species, esp on the side where the spider will certainly climb. Don't add a mesh top!! Will kill the micro climate and will write a death sentence for tht poor black beauty!!
The main concerns with mesh are if tarantulas get their tarsal claws stuck in it or if they chew on it. A well ventilated top is not a bad thing with G. pulchra, and dry captive conditions will not kill this species. It doesn't require any sort of special micro climate.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As Cold Blood said that enclosures way too high, I'd have that at least 3/4 of the way filled with substrate.