T sizes for gallon containers?

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I'm not sure how to word this to search for old threats on this topic, so forgive me if there are previous threads. I was just wondering what sizes would work for a gallon size plastic enclosure? As in- at what size arboreal is large enough for a gallon enclosure, and at what size does does the enclosure become too small?

Last edited:

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Not quite. I read through both of those threads and unless I missed it, none of them seem to be talking about arboreal tarantulas. Except for the second thread where someone wanted to know if a Lasiodora parahybana was an arboreal or a terrestrial.

The only thing I saw that was ambiguous is 3x their leg span and then someone else said 2x their leg span and there were differing opinions on whether they hid more because it was too small, too big, or just right.

The first thread is seven years old, the second five. Surely there are more people now familiar with keeping arboreal Ts in gallon-size plastic jars?

Last edited:

purevl

Arachnopeon
What are the dimensions of said containers? Short but wide? Tall but narrow? We'll need to know how big the containers are before we can suggest an appropriate sized T for it.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
A 3.5" - 4" avic has a LOT of room in one of these gallon containers. Though they prefer to use only the top few inches, hence my container being used upside down. avics.jpg

She's in there, trust me.
Just so ridiculously webbed a picture of her is impossible.
Water dish on bottom behind the cork bark (which she doesn't really use) -- it's more a plank-o-death for crickets to ascend....

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
A 3.5" - 4" avic has a LOT of room in one of these gallon containers. Though they prefer to use only the top few inches, hence my container being used upside down.
Water dish on bottom behind the cork bark (which she doesn't really use) -- it's more a plank-o-death for crickets to ascend....

Note: Yes, no water dish in this picture, but it was added after she moved into her hide. So yes she does have access to water now.

Right, I've got my 3" P. metallica in one of them right now and she has plenty of room. Obviously I know she'll be too big to keep in there permanently but I'm wondering what size I should move her. 4.5"? 5"?

And I like these jars for arboreals because they're cheap, perfectly clear, and you can add whatever cross ventilation you desire. So I'll use them for my Avicularia as well. BUT I'm not sure what size is large enough to go in. 2.5"? 3"?

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
A 3.5" - 4" avic has a LOT of room in one of these gallon containers. Though they prefer to use only the top few inches, hence my container being used upside down. View attachment 136203

lmao @ "plank-o-death"

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Ah, not too familiar with P metallica, and mine didn't require all that substrate to take up room in her container.
Possibly apples and oranges.
I think I put my avic girl in at just under 2 inches -- she webbed up top and never looked back.
She's molted at least 2 or 3 times in there. Middle of pix is actually her destroyed last molt.

I was sorta thinking, for an avic, this may BE her permanent home, she is within 1-1.5 inches of adult size already and still appears to have plenty of room.

She really reminds me of an OBT with her webbed parking garage levels and little tunnels throughout.

Good luck with your pokie!
Truthfully -- I wouldn't want to open that lid! :)

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Ah, not too familiar with P metallica, and mine didn't require all that substrate to take up room in her container.
Possibly apples and oranges.
I think I put my avic girl in at just under 2 inches -- she webbed up top and never looked back.
She's molted at least 2 or 3 times in there. Middle of pix is actually her destroyed last molt.

I was sorta thinking, for an avic, this may BE her permanent home, she is within 1-1.5 inches of adult size already and still appears to have plenty of room.

She really reminds me of an OBT with her webbed parking garage levels and little tunnels throughout.

Good luck with your pokie!
Truthfully -- I wouldn't want to open that lid! :)
It looks like there is a lot of substrate from that picture, but it's actually only an inch deep! Stops just below that line of air holes.

I'm thinking it's a decent enough size for arboreals that max out at 5"-5.5" to live in permanently but I'm not 100% sure.

Poecilotheria don't web too much- or at least my metallica and my fasciata slings aren't much for webbing. I don't know why Avicularia and Poecilotheria would be so different as far as enclosure size goes.

And she is usually in her hide, so opening the lid hasn't been much of an issue. When she's not in her hide and I pick up the enclosure she bolts for her hide. I keep a very close eye on her when I refill the water dish or feed, and I only open it to do that.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I'm thinking it's a decent enough size for arboreals that max out at 5"-5.5" to live in permanently but I'm not 100% sure.
Poecilotheria don't web too much- or at least my metallica and my fasciata slings aren't much for webbing. I don't know why Avicularia and Poecilotheria would be so different as far as enclosure size goes.
Yeah, unless they are stretched out weirdly, a 5" T would have plenty of room and maneuvering space.
Mine is burrowed most of time too -- just in webbing up top instead of substrate down bottom.
So perhaps the two are not so different afterall! :)

Tfisher

Arachno-Geek
Thats funny I use those same containers for my a avics. But as far as pokies Ive seen a 7" rufilata in one. Poss not the best idea as the rufilata was very stressed. The person actually screwed a piece of cork bark into the side. I really like the five gallon on its side tank, but the door would make me mad and the issue of cross ventilation. I love Uline, I order almost everything I need from them. Its good to know they have "Pretzel Jars" too.

Thanks for sharing!!

-Thomas

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Thats funny I use those same containers for my a avics. But as far as pokies Ive seen a 7" rufilata in one. Poss not the best idea as the rufilata was very stressed. The person actually screwed a piece of cork bark into the side. I really like the five gallon on its side tank, but the door would make me mad and the issue of cross ventilation. I love Uline, I order almost everything I need from them. Its good to know they have "Pretzel Jars" too.

Thanks for sharing!!

-Thomas
You're welcome. I'd never keep a 7" specimen in a gallon jar. I plan on housing adult Pokies in Sterilite containers. They're not perfectly clear, but they allow the same freedom for cross ventilation. The only thing I don't like about Sterilite is that when you open it up, you have a huge space open now.

I'd bet these tarantulas would work well for Tapinauchenius as well, since it's my understanding the largest is 6". But again, no one has directly answered the question. So I guess it would be left up to preference? I'd say 2.5" - 5.5" specimens would be comfortable in this jar. Maybe a 6" specimen-- maybe.

cold blood

Staff member
You're welcome. I'd never keep a 7" specimen in a gallon jar. I plan on housing adult Pokies in Sterilite containers. They're not perfectly clear, but they allow the same freedom for cross ventilation. The only thing I don't like about Sterilite is that when you open it up, you have a huge space open now.

I'd bet these tarantulas would work well for Tapinauchenius as well, since it's my understanding the largest is 6". But again, no one has directly answered the question. So I guess it would be left up to preference? I'd say 2.5" - 5.5" specimens would be comfortable in this jar. Maybe a 6" specimen-- maybe.
I have my ornata in one of those sterilite containers. The lid on this one has a hole (I can only think for pouring possibly) that has a clip on cover. I leave it open as its not nearly big enough for a 6.25" ornata to even come close to escaping, but its plenty big enough to use as a feeding hole...drop in crickets and superworms without even opening the lid....the dish is filled with a syringe through air holes...I almost never have to open the lid unless she puts moss in the bowl or craps on the wall. Its a great feature.

I'd personally think about re-housing in that container once the gets near 5".

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I have my ornata in one of those sterilite containers. The lid on this one has a hole (I can only think for pouring possibly) that has a clip on cover. I leave it open as its not nearly big enough for a 6.25" ornata to even come close to escaping, but its plenty big enough to use as a feeding hole...drop in crickets and superworms without even opening the lid....the dish is filled with a syringe through air holes...I almost never have to open the lid unless she puts moss in the bowl or craps on the wall. Its a great feature.

I'd personally think about re-housing in that container once the gets near 5".
You know, I was considering how to make a smaller opening on sterilite lids just for feeding and watering. Perhaps using the top of a smaller plastic drink bottle and attaching it to the lid with caulking if that makes any sense.

Perfect, that was my plan. Waiting for 4.5"-5" before moving her into her permanent adult home. So then would you say CB this style container would make a decent permanent home for 5" arboreals?

cold blood

Staff member
You know, I was considering how to make a smaller opening on sterilite lids just for feeding and watering. Perhaps using the top of a smaller plastic drink bottle and attaching it to the lid with caulking if that makes any sense.

Perfect, that was my plan. Waiting for 4.5"-5" before moving her into her permanent adult home. So then would you say CB this style container would make a decent permanent home for 5" arboreals?
hehe, your plan doesn't make sense to me...lol, I just can't picture your plan...doesn't mean its not a good plan, just that me no comprendo...lol.

Its a matter of personal preference...Myself, I do not like screw on type lids or bottlenecked containers that often come with them...it just restricts me too much when I have to do any maintenance. The seterlites are nicer IMO, even if they aren't quite as clear...they are clear enough for me..i like everything else about them.

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am using a 3 gallon round aquarium with several hiding spots and ambush spots. This used to be for my mature versicolor 4.5 DLS now it houses my female Aviculria Aviculria about 3.5 DLS she has already made it her home. I like larger enclosures for arboreal tarantulas I like to add plenty of furniture. This is why I like aboreals

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I am using a 3 gallon round aquarium with several hiding spots and ambush spots. This used to be for my mature versicolor 4.5 DLS now it houses my female Aviculria Aviculria about 3.5 DLS she has already made it her home. I like larger enclosures for arboreal tarantulas I like to add plenty of furniture. This is why I like aboreals
3 gallon plastic aquarium? Could you find a picture on google? I'd be interested in seeing something like that.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I really like that actually, very aesthetically pleasing. How's the top look? I assume there are little feeding doors that one would shake betta pellets into? And what's the seal like when you close it? Tight? I'd only be worried it would sit on top and a determined enough T could lift it. Might sound crazy but I've heard some crazy stories.