Molted Underground.

BerleyQubed

Arachnopeon
So just a quick question. My A. Calchodes molted a few days ago underground in her burrower, should I remove her and take it out this week? She's still quite small but I'd like to introduce a little hide so hopefully she'll use that instead of burrowing. What do you guys think?

gcandd

Arachnopeon
I think a tarantula has the right to burrow and molt wherever they want. It is their home. I would not bother a tarantula who is just being a tarantula.

BerleyQubed

Arachnopeon
So I should just leave the molt underground? :p After they molted they're hanging around the top now, doesn't really seem to want to be under there anymore lol

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I would never bother a T or change a set up it is happy with unless it has outgrown enclosure and needs rehousing. It is normal for Ts to burrow and molt in a burrow.
If you can safely remove the molt -- go for it.
But I would not disturb it's burrow or force it into a hide.
Trust your T to know what it is doing!

cold blood

Staff member
So I should just leave the molt underground? :p After they molted they're hanging around the top now, doesn't really seem to want to be under there anymore lol
A burrow is a happier, more secure place for a t than is a hide, especially with a smaller t. Don't do anything, what you've experienced is 100% normal. You do not need to retrieve the molt, it won't rot or mold or cause you a single problem....in due time the t will eject it.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
+1 to the above, leave it be, don't disturb it or it's burrow, that would just cause unnecessary stress, it will throw out the molt for you in a few days..

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
A burrow is a happier, more secure place for a t than is a hide, especially with a smaller t. Don't do anything, what you've experienced is 100% normal. You do not need to retrieve the molt, it won't rot or mold or cause you a single problem....in due time the t will eject it.
Another +1.

scott99

Arachnoknight
+1 and another

BerleyQubed

Arachnopeon
Thanks a lot guys, another issue too is there's just a little bit of mold starting to grow under the burrower, nothing major just a few patches of white spots. I've read a lot about mold not really being that bit of a deal, so is that still okay?

cold blood

Staff member
Thanks a lot guys, another issue too is there's just a little bit of mold starting to grow under the burrower, nothing major just a few patches of white spots. I've read a lot about mold not really being that bit of a deal, so is that still okay?
Is it not in a place you can get to with a long tweezers?

Small amounts of mold, while not a big deal, should really be nipped in the bud (so to speak) and picked out.

There could be a few issues causing it....how dry is the enclosure? How clean is the enclosure (hidden bolus's are normal)? How well ventilated? There's something causing it to grow and those are the 3 main factors. Being a chalcodes, I'd assume its dry, and their requirements for ventilation are pretty minimal, so my guess would be some buried bolus's. Perhaps spring cleaning time.

I had to dig around and clean my pulchripes enclosure this winter and its outward appearance was very tidy.