Emperor Scorpion gravid or premolt ?

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
Hey guys, I picked up this (f) emperor scorpion about a month and 1/2 ago. The pet shop that I got it from said it was either in premolt or gravid. She eats sporadically, Any opinions are much appreciated.

Attachments

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Unlike Ts, scorpions sexually mature at a specific number of molts and don't molt again. Number of molts depends on the sps but there have been a few reports of one more or less molts for some individuals, don't know if those are true or not. This one you have looks mature though. If so, no more molts for it. Just have to see what happens, a good chance it's gravid if wild caught, regardless of cites, or if it had been with mature males in captivity.

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
Thanks Galapagos, Believe it or not but she actually gave birth last night lol, so excited

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Cool, I've always liked emps, though there was a heavy bashing trend for a while. Just ignore that stuff and know what you like. I have some babies too, have any pics?, or is it not a good situation for pics?

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
I'm saying, There like the best of both worlds, Docile and enormous lol. Here is a pic I took yesterday night. I'm guessing the delivery took a lot out of her because as soon as I dropped a prekilled cricket she literally swallowed it. She hasn't left the borrow so I don't know exactly how much she has

Attachments

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Way to recycle plastic bottles haha! They were selling these for around $110 locally and they are all gone from the store now. I have another brood on the way, I think, maybe two. I've been keeping the last brood all together in a plastic tub, they all stay under a piece of hardboard I cut, everything is OK as long as they are fed enough.

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
Speaking of feeding, do the baby emps live on their fat reserves and then feed after their first molt ?