Euathlus sp. Red

Tarantula Love

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone! I purchased a pair of euathlus sp. red as a breeding pair, about a week after arrival, I introduced the male into the female's enclosure. He tapped, all she did was run away. Does she just not want to mate with him, or is there some other factor contributing to her not wanting to breed?

Thanks ~Logan

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Hey everyone! I purchased a pair of euathlus sp. red as a breeding pair, about a week after arrival, I introduced the male into the female's enclosure. He tapped, all she did was run away. Does she just not want to mate with him, or is there some other factor contributing to her not wanting to breed?

Thanks ~Logan
My female was not interested in breeding whatsoever and then ended up molting about 2 months later. You might want to try more than once before asking deep questions like 'Did she want the spider d or didn't she?' Next time you try it, it might go off without a hitch.

Tarantula Love

Arachnopeon
My female was not interested in breeding whatsoever and then ended up molting about 2 months later. You might want to try more than once before asking deep questions like 'Did she want the spider d or didn't she?' Next time you try it, it might go off without a hitch.
Sorry, I didn't say that I had bred them more than once, I've been trying for the past few days to get the female to breed with the male.

---------- Post added 04-29-2015 at 09:47 PM ----------

Sorry, I didn't say that I had bred them more than once, I've been trying for the past few days to get the female to breed with the male.
also, the male is about 4 months Into his molt, the female is about 1. I don't know if the male will live to see another one of the female's molts. I know this species grows very slow though.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince

---------- Post added 04-29-2015 at 09:47 PM ----------

also, the male is about 4 months Into his molt, the female is about 1. I don't know if the male will live to see another one of the female's molts. I know this species grows very slow though.
Ahhh I see. It sounded, to me, like you'd tried once. I'd try feeding her and then reattempting. Maybe keep their enclosures next to one another if you aren't already.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Sure it's a MM and sure the female is mature already? With these small spieces, unless you raised them yourself and know them very well - it's sometimes hard to tell. My 3 females aren't mature yet apparently, as neither of them wanted anything to do with my MM. Worst case - give it time and be patient and perhaps have to get a new MM at some point.

cold blood

Staff member
Sure it's a MM and sure the female is mature already? With these small spieces, unless you raised them yourself and know them very well - it's sometimes hard to tell. My 3 females aren't mature yet apparently, as neither of them wanted anything to do with my MM. Worst case - give it time and be patient and perhaps have to get a new MM at some point.
My thoughts as well. Most of the time I see "breeding pairs" sold, the male isn't mature, and often times, neither is the female.

How big are they?

Got any pics? I'm really curious.

Tarantula Love

Arachnopeon
The male is hooked out, and the female is a good 2 1/2 - 3 inches I'll post a pic in just a few minutes

Tarantula Love

Arachnopeon
image.jpg Male's hooks
Female's size, she would've been bigger if she was being nice and stretched her legs for me image.jpg

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I can only say this from being told by the breeder I got mine from: Female of this species will only accept very fresh, very active male generally. And there's a good chance that if they aren't interested and chasing away the MM won't work, they'll kill them and leaven them for dead. Maybe Chris can chime in on his experience breeding his sp. "yellow" for example -its really the same thing for both.

Tarantula Love

Arachnopeon
As I said before, the male is about 1 month I to a molt, and he taps every time I put him into her enclosure

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The females of this locality are more aggressive to males than other species. Be prepared to separate the two.