Going away for 10 days - better prep advice needed!

shelpen

Arachnosquire
I'll be taking a much needed vacation/anniversary trip for 10 day in May... :cool:
Most of my Ts are big enough (about +/-2"), but there are 0.75" P.muticus and B.pulchra - I worry about them.
:eek:
Any advice is greatly appreciated! :love:

Last edited:

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
Add an extra water dish to make sure they have water and feed them before you leave and they'll be fine.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
I agree with Sam, make sure their fed (I usually overfeed my slings when I know I'll be away for a while, I just make sure they ar fat) and provide enough water

scott99

Arachnoknight
I wouldn't worry. Just go on your anniversary, enjoy yourself and when you get back your Ts will be there waiting for you.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just ship them to me! Haha..

No no worries. My wife and I had a two week honeymoon last June. I added an extra water dish and soaked the substrate the day we left, all was good.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
People that go away for a week or two have come home to some dead spiders. Fill the water bowls and put their cages inside large clear plastic bags to prevent evaporation.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
People that go away for a week or two have come home to some dead spiders. Fill the water bowls and put their cages inside large clear plastic bags to prevent evaporation.
Poec, wouldn't you worry about oxygen levels and ventilation?

shelpen

Arachnosquire
Thanks a LOT, guys!!! :love:
I feel much better!
:laugh:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
No. I've had spiders shipped in straws and vials with no airholes. There should be enough air in any appropriate-sized cage to last weeks, and by putting a bunch of cages together in a large plastic bag, you have even more air.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Inverts are excellent at energy conservation and if no one is bothering them the will probably just move an inch or two a day, you don't need much oxygen for that.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
Ok. I don't disbelieve -- I'm sure that's true -- but I'm trying to reconcile this with the advice we always give about the dangers of stuffy cages and having plenty ventilation. What's the key I'm missing why wrapping an enclosure in plastic would not be a concern but that ensuring proper ventilation is?

koldaar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You may come home to mold everywhere if you seal them in plastic. Just feed them a little extra and give them an additional water dish if possible.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok. I don't disbelieve -- I'm sure that's true -- but I'm trying to reconcile this with the advice we always give about the dangers of stuffy cages and having plenty ventilation. What's the key I'm missing why wrapping an enclosure in plastic would not be a concern but that ensuring proper ventilation is?
There's not enough volume of water in small T containers to create a moist stuffy environment in this case. Recall moist cages result in the enclosure itself not having enough air holes as opposed to proper air flow and then tied up in a large bag

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
What's the key I'm missing why wrapping an enclosure in plastic would not be a concern but that ensuring proper ventilation is?
This is a short term situation while the person is away, not something to do year round. Better than your tarantulas dying of thirst. What can happen is that some will dump their water bowls or fill them with substrate just after you leave, and not have access to water. That's dangerous for young spiders.

There was a post last year about a guy going on vacation for a 10 or 15 days, and coming back to dead spiders. He had watered them well before leaving. Had he put them in a plastic bag they would have lived.

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
This is a short term situation while the person is away, not something to do year round. Better than your tarantulas dying of thirst. What can happen is that some will dump their water bowls or fill them with substrate just after you leave, and not have access to water. That's dangerous for young spiders.

There was a post last year about a guy going on vacation for a 10 or 15 days, and coming back to dead spiders. He had watered them well before leaving. Had he put them in a plastic bag they would have lived.
+1 x 1000.

This happened to me last as well last November. Had to go away to look after a sick family member for just over a week, came home to 6 dead Ts. Don't underestimate the value of the bag idea.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
This thread is rather timely for me. And given recent events i am a little uneasy about the well-being of my spiders. i will be gone for 16 days. What I am considering doing is this:

I have a five gallon tank. (And a couple ten gallons for that matter) So I've considered the possibility of placing something, perhaps bricks, on the bottom of a tank and then adding a inch of water. the enclosures would go on the bricks. I would of course feed prior to departure and could also dampen the substrate of all enclosures. And, as a final precaution, I have a sheet of plexiglass that I could partially, or completely cover the tank with.

Would this be overkill? Especially in regard ti the plexiglass cover. It seems to me that would be no different than sealing in a bag, though, but a little easier to manage. I'm as terrified of coming home to dead, mouldy spiders as I am to coming dessicated ones. there could always be a bolus or a piece of one that could launch a mould infestation. I think I once saw somebody mention a similar procedure here before...

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I think water in the bottom of a tank is overkill, that could make it too stagnant and stuffy, promote mold and mildew. You don't need to add water to keep humidity, just reduce evaporation.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Okay, I will deep-6 the water idea. I sort of had an inkling that may have been going a bit overboard. So I'll go with the tank, dampened substrate, water sources that I can only hope won't get filled - and for a couple of them that may be a vain hope - and the plexiglass cover. Think I should leave a small vent opening on one end, or close the tank off entirely as a bag would be?

You folks that are lucky enough to have somebody dependable to look after your spiders in cases such as this should count your blessings!

shelpen

Arachnosquire
Now I'm thinking taping the spider coset with a plastic sheet (the kind the painters use to cover floor).
Or wrapping all KK with a plastic wrap.
The bag idea also deserves a try for the smaller enclosures.

Should I water them (meaning the substrate) before bagging them?