Mold!!

BerleyQubed

Arachnopeon
So I've been following a few instructions from my tarantula seller whose told me that these picture's aren't really a big deal. My gut feeling is kinda telling me otherwise and would really like a few opinions on what I should do.

So Firstly I have been monitoring the mold in my little T's container ( A. Calchodes ) and it seems to be getting a little out of hand, I had to wait a week or so because they were in pre-molt and I didn't want to disrupt them. After the molt I've found these little dots on my T, there's two on the side that look almost like little pus bubbles. Is that normal? Is it caused by the mold? Should I change the container and susbtrate or ICU? The seller said all of this was normal and the mold wasn't too bad. I just feel differently. what do I need to do to make sure my little one's okay? :S

Attachments

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
So I've been following a few instructions from my tarantula seller whose told me that these picture's aren't really a big deal. My gut feeling is kinda telling me otherwise and would really like a few opinions on what I should do.

So Firstly I have been monitoring the mold in my little T's container ( A. Calchodes ) and it seems to be getting a little out of hand, I had to wait a week or so because they were in pre-molt and I didn't want to disrupt them. After the molt I've found these little dots on my T, there's two on the side that look almost like little pus bubbles. Is that normal? Is it caused by the mold? Should I change the container and susbtrate or ICU? The seller said all of this was normal and the mold wasn't too bad. I just feel differently. what do I need to do to make sure my little one's okay? :S
I don't see any ventilation holes? If the enclosure has too much humidity, not enough ventilation and the sub is damp its a breeding ground for molds and fungi. I would change the substrate out completely and add ventilation holes in the sides of the container.

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hard to tell in top picture but what I see are the book lungs need better clear picture. The bottom picture I don't even know what to say follow your gut this set up is WRONG. Alright if they just molted there bodies are probably still soft and they risk being punctured by by looks like wood chips. You need substrate Crushed COCO fiber doesn't mold easily. I don't know what you have available where you live or what you can come up with But top soil with NO fertilizer or other additives or straight peat these are what I use sometimes a mixture of these. Priority is get these tarantulas out of there as soon as you safely can remember they are probably still a little soft for about 7 days after a molt but if there soft they also risk being punctured by the wood chips cant see the whole container but looks way to tall definite fall hazard and have no Idea about the ventilation probably need different enclosure. Mabe someone familiar with what stores you have available in Canada will chime in and suggest a place to get containers and substrate. if you can find preferably clear container 3 times the diameter leg span and twice its leg span high plus the depth of substrate. If the container is a little taller its alright add more substrate. a gatoraid top or something similar for a water dish.next poke or drill vent holes above substrate around container for cross ventilation keep substrate fairly dry. Post pictures of your setup and someone will help you. As far as the mold a dry substrate will keep that at bay and the aphonopelma Calchodes does well in drier substrate. The mold or whatever that is in second picture looks bad but the wood chips bother me a lot more. Hope this helps .

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
While mold itself is seldom anything to worry about, I'd rehouse it anyway onto regular coco fiber substrate (or peat) as it is better for burrowing.
I don't see anything wrong with the spider in the pic provided.
No ICU needed, but you could probably use more ventilation holes.

assidreemz

Arachnosquire
Is this a joke!?!? The bottom picture looks plain overran!!! All of the white crap is mold?? Get that poor thing outta there asap! Fully sterilize the container, throw out ALL the contents of the previous container (minus the spider)

EDIT: I am gonna guess the sub is in fact coco fiber, but I will agree with previous posters it is too large of chunks. How to fix that? Throw a fresh batch in the blender! Although you want to watch how much it is blended if it becomes too fine you will have a big(ger) mess than needed. I'd say the appropriate consistency would be to have no pieces larger than the spiders body length, although this is all personal opinion/preference and speculation.

Also definitely add some cross ventilation even some below the substrate. This species is ALMOST idiot-proof with it being incredibly easy to keep and subsequently recreate it's natural preferred environment. Dry dry dry!! Although with a spiderling you'll need to up the moisture a tad but this should not exceed a full water dish and regular (light) soaking of half to 3/4 of the substrate. As long a the spider is eating regularly and a mild micro-climate is achieved via proper housing, one should never even get close to having any issue with mild, more or less a straight up infestation as you, poor laddie have yourself

For real tho: get those freaking spiders outta there STAT!!!!!!

Last edited:

MobBurrow

Vial Creatures
If that were the issue an ICU may be counterproductive. Got your advice though, just wanted to add with only a few Ts you might as well stay on top of that, even if it is just a little mold. But yeah best keep that moisture flowing out & read up on your substrate options.

BerleyQubed

Arachnopeon
Please don't think that I am a terrible owner, I have been talking to the seller sending frequent messages and pictures an am only following someone else's advice. The lid is where all the ventilation holes are. I have at least 30 and use a little spray bottle to spray the walls once a week. There is barely any humidity and lot's of ventilation but I will bring her out and change the container. Thank you for all the feedback

MobBurrow

Vial Creatures
Wouldn't worry so much about the holes although if the containers tall it would make more sense to do up the sides. People also do this to retain humidity. Spraying the sides won't accomplish much either. What size are the sp in question? I generally only spray the substrste of first few instars, switching up sides for it to dry. Then I go to bottle cap, water dish etc. This is sufficient for ~90 percent of species. What you have listed definately shouldn't require anything extra. Genics like a bit from time to time but seem to do okay hovering over the dish. If they stay posted there for long pd however raise it up a bit.

As for the substrate id run by the pet store for some coco fiber. I microwave mine up a bit but thats just cos im crazy. If u stick w the cap or water dish I don't see any mold being an issue.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
With your next container poke ventilation holes in the sides. Maybe 3 rows of the around the container spaced about an inch apart; none in the lid. This will allow for good air exchange and flow without compromising the micro climate by allowing too much humidity to escape. That spider also looks big enough for a small water dish. Personally I use the cap from twenty oz bottles of soda or water as water bowls. They're easy and cheap to obtain and when it gets dirty or webbed up you can just chuck it and put a new one in. Instead of misting, slightly dampen a small part of the substrate by dripping water on it once a week or so, whenever it dries out dampen a different spot. :)

BerleyQubed

Arachnopeon
Microwaving is a good idea, I hadn't thought of that before. I have a pretty big block left of coco fiber so I've broken up all the larger pieces. I rotate spraying each wall once a week, I've also punctured a few more holes just for extra ventilation. My little one is only 3/4 inch at the moment so unfortunately they aren't ready for the bottle cap just yet.

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
It'll do fine with a bottle cap, I have slings as little as 1/6" that have them.

If you continue with the spraying, don't do it on a schedule, do it when it's needed. If it's still wet, you don't need to spray more.

cold blood

Staff member
Microwaving is a good idea, I hadn't thought of that before. I have a pretty big block left of coco fiber so I've broken up all the larger pieces. I rotate spraying each wall once a week, I've also punctured a few more holes just for extra ventilation. My little one is only 3/4 inch at the moment so unfortunately they aren't ready for the bottle cap just yet.
STOP spraying the enclosure...take the mister and give it to someone who has a lot of plants...misting is basically useless and is more likely to get you (and the t) in trouble than it is to help the situation. 3/4" is PLENTY large enough for a water bowl.

Cross venting is far better than is top, my suggestion is to go out and get a 16 oz deli cup, put a couple rings of holes around the top half of the sides, maybe 2 or 3 in the lid. Put in a piece of wood, a little moss (this is what you moisten) and add a cap from a water bottle for a water dish. Your visibility will be better and your t will be in a MUCH better situation. Keep the sub dry for the most part and definitely break up that coco fiber a lot more than it is currently....it should be smooth, not chunky...just like I like my peanut butter;)

Stop asking the seller, he doesn't seem to have any better info than a LPS would offer

BerleyQubed

Arachnopeon
Okay thanks a lot everyone, I appreciate it, I'll give her a little water bowl in a day or so. I just changed over her enclosure yesterday so I want to give her a little bit to adjust to it.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There is barely any humidity and lot's of ventilation...

And YET there is apparently Mold. Stop listening to the person you are getting "advice" from too.

Rehouse, make more holes, vertical down the sides as well. Add in a water bowl, and stop misting your T, it's not a plant.