Juvenile Poecilotheria rufilata burrowing

magneto

Arachnoknight
Hi

I recently aquired a poecilotheria rufilata about 4 and a half inches big. The enclosure it lives in is perhaps a bit big for it's size, 12x12x16 inches. I made 2 hides for it up along the wall and some roots hoping it would settle in one of them. Instead it had chosen to burrow beneath one of the roots. I know burrowing is considered normal for a spiderling but diddn't know they did at this size/age too.

I'm not worried about it. If it choses to burrow I'm sure it's happy down there. I'm just a bit curious about how long it is considered normal for arboreal tarantulas to burrow?

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My 6" P.Regalis has a huge burrow going all along her cage. IMO Avics are the only true arboreals, even second instar avics stay at the top of their enclosure, while pretty much all others burrow as slings/juvies, some carry this into adulthood.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi

I recently aquired a poecilotheria rufilata about 4 and a half inches big. The enclosure it lives in is perhaps a bit big for it's size, 12x12x16 inches. I made 2 hides for it up along the wall and some roots hoping it would settle in one of them. Instead it had chosen to burrow beneath one of the roots. I know burrowing is considered normal for a spiderling but diddn't know they did at this size/age too.

I'm not worried about it. If it choses to burrow I'm sure it's happy down there. I'm just a bit curious about how long it is considered normal for arboreal tarantulas to burrow?
your T probably believes it is in a tree already so have decided to use the best place for a hide.. Even though they are arboreal they many times uses the bottom of the terrarium for hide, many throw in a log and let them use that as a hide, then they lives as a terrestrial (almost).

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Except for Avics, my arboreal species live on or under the substrate.

magneto

Arachnoknight
Huh...didn't know that. Thanks. It's a bit disapointing tough, I got it because the previous pokies I've had (regalis, metalica, miranda) always sat out in the open near their hides. This one has been down in the burrow since I got it 4 weeks ago. When i throw a cricket in there it comes out to get it and carries it back in. Guess I got a shy one.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That is because the log gives them the good hide and then goes to the bottom. But they should come out in the evenings, or early mornings. Except when they reach a molt. But if you want to trick an arboreal T out, then mist in there in the evenings, then wait a little and come back, many T´s come out for a drink then.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My adult pokies spend a decent bit of time near the upper half of the cage.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Same here,my fasciata has her retreat at the bottom.. and she'll spend some time at the top now and then..

magneto

Arachnoknight
I'm starting to think that my previous pokies was just plain weird individuals. As their hides was at the top/middle of the enclosure and mostly sat outside it. But it seems that burrowing is the normal behaviour.

cold blood

Staff member
It is....individuals choose different homes. I've got some always on the ground, others always in the midrange, and a couple always near the top....all are normal.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
So far, both of my juvie mirandas stay mostly out in the open and only scurry back into hiding when something disturbs them too much for their liking. The fasciata is the same way, though he tends to check out any whatsoever intrusion into his realm before deciding to hide or threaten. And looking back, that subfusca lowland boy I raised to maturity was only out at night and always back into hiding if disturbed. Maybe I got lucky? I'm sure they'll change disposition while growing...just have that feeling :)

El Consciente

Arachnopeon
My P. regalis spiderling only seems to venture downwards when he's hungry...the majority of the time he's out in the open in the upper 1/2 of the enclosure.

But it's certainly not uncommon for an arboreal spiderling to initially take up residence on or below the ground. I've even seen my NW arboreal do this :}

Sana

Arachnoprince
We have a number of Poecilotheria species and about half of them have created their hides at ground level and dug small chambers just below. I thought that it was a little strange with the first one, but many arboreal species don't really live very high off the ground. Some only live a few inches up in the grass and I have heard from a lot of keepers that their arboreals display similar tendencies to hide just above ground with an underground chamber attached. All of mine seem to be comfortable and healthy with their chosen method of hiding and I don't think that it's really unusual considering the number of them that I have personally that display that behavior.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
http://www.thebts.co.uk/poecilotheria.htm

Poecilotheria are arboreal. The behaviors they display in captivity, are an artifact of keeping them in captivity...much like how a G. rosea rarely burrows in captivity. We keep them in a supposedly "tall" container considered an "arboreal" enclosure for the sake of our own practicality. Turning a fish tank on end and making a terrarium, or using a plastic cereal container, an exo terra, etc. is nothing like actually living in a tree. Some cork bark, with substrate at the bottom of the enclosure, is more akin to forcing them to live at the base of a tree trunk at ground level.