Where in the US are your favorite bugging sites?

Le Wasp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey everyone, I have a unique opportunity coming up: I'll be taking about a month for a road trip in an RV across much of the United States. I'll be going from central California all the way to about Illinois and Wisconsin. My plans are still pretty open, but I'd like to find some insects that I don't get to see in California. So far, it looks like I'll be traveling through: Nevada, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, South Dakota, North Dakota, Minnesota, Illinois, and maybe Missouri and Kansas.

Does anyone have recommended sites to check out? I'm especially interested in seeing stag beetles, giant ichneumons (Megarhyssa atrata), and some nice big moths (regal, imperial, maybe even luna). Even info on which gas stations have cool bugs flying around their lights would be helpful. I'll be driving in an RV so I'll have plenty of room to pack some bugging equipment (black light, fermented molasses, etc.).

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
I volunteer at Wisconsin Christian Youth Camp near Black River Falls, WI, and we've seen every insect you listed with the exception of the imperial moth, though those too exist in the state. I'm afraid I can't give you many specific locations, but with the states you're passing through and the knowledge you have, I have no doubt you'll see some exciting wildlife.

Ooh, just remembered one. If you are hankering for ichneumons, the Kickapoo River (as popular a tourist site as it is) had SO MANY of them in mid-June last year. They all gather to oviposit in the groves of pine trees.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Southern Illinois as a whole has some great collecting. Missouri is also really good. I've found Lucanus capreolus in southern Illinois before, along with some large saturniids. Big ichneumonids can be found just about anywhere that's forested. If you're hunting around gas stations, go to ones that aren't in cities or are in small towns without a lot of street lights. Light pollution ends up being your worst enemy. You may be able to get some really cool tiger beetles in the Dakotas, and I know there are several nice species in southern Illinois and Wisconsin.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Celebration park by the snake river is a great place for darkling beetles here in Idaho, I've found about 20 different species of darklings there and there is no doubt more that I haven't found yet. Hope you have fun on your trip!