Re-house before or after molt?

GG80

Arachnoknight
What do you do? Is it better for the spider to be in a bigger space when molting is over or is it too stressful to the spider to be re-housed while in pre-molt?
This is just something that popped into my head today as I have 2 slings which will need re-housing soon and I couldn't find anything specific with the search tool.

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
Personally, I prefer to let them molt in a familiar environment(they really don't need a lot of space when molting, I've been surprised more than once at where some of mine managed to molt and then where they chose to stretch), but I know many other prefer to transfer them before since they're much more cooperative while in premolt(so it's apparently not too stressful for them).

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What do you do? Is it better for the spider to be in a bigger space when molting is over or is it too stressful to the spider to be re-housed while in pre-molt?
This is just something that popped into my head today as I have 2 slings which will need re-housing soon and I couldn't find anything specific with the search tool.
I personally wouldn't rehouse a tarantula while it was in pre-molt. They're marshaling all their resources in preparation for the molt and don't want to be disturbed. Tarantulas are very good at molting in enclosed spaces. Unless the current enclosure is ridiculously small, rehousing can probably wait until after. Just my two cents.

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
I rehouse a few weeks after molt when the tarantula has had a chance to rest and eat.

GG80

Arachnoknight
I agree with what you all are saying, it was just a curious question. I intend to let them molt in their familiar surroundings as I have done when they needed previous re-housing.
Just wanted to get the opinions of the members.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I've heard it's easier to rehouse some OW species when they're in pre-molt, because they're more sluggish. I've never had a situation like that come up yet, however. I've let all my Ts wait until after they've molted and hardened up before rehousing.

milky

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Rehouse the T after her molting (but wait a couple of days until her skin hardens)

cold blood

Staff member
I much prefer to re-house all my t's when they are in pre-molt, especially fast or especially defensive ones. Re-houses go really easy, as easy as walking from one place to another. Their reluctance to want to move long distances quickly is a benefit to me, and even pre-molt t's are perfectly capable of moving 18 inches (or less) without exploding (that was a joke;)). I see a pre-molt t, like a Poec or Psalmo for instance, much more likely to bolt or run or even spook when they are fresh from a molt...many individuals can be crazy at those times...I'd just assume enjoy that craziness watching them tackle prey and hunt....I'll deal with them and briefly open containers when that "crazy" starts to die down.:)

But that's not the only reason I prefer it. Prior to molting a t will tend to spin a greater amount of webbing, by putting it in a new enclosure while it is predisposed to heavy webbing, I think it helps the acclimation process, in fact, there's often no acclimation period. They find a spot and hunker down, just as they would, and spin an area...then molt...by the time they are hungry and ready to eat, they emerge to a larger, already webbed home, at a time when they are hungry and most willing and able to take advantage of that extra hunting space.

I'm re-housing a 6.5" ornata and putting a 5" vitatta in her enclosure, but I'm waiting on them both to fill up and start showing those first signs.

Why not make things easier all around if you can...that's my take anyway....As long as the t isn't about to molt or freshly molted, its an acceptable time for re-housing, anything in between is just personal preference.

GG80

Arachnoknight
@cb. Some good points there particularly with regards to fast defensive Ts but also the point that the T will soon lay down silk and will be almost accustomed to it's new home when it emerges from its molt.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I'm equally comfortable when rehousing both premolt and postmolt Ts, but for some reason I prefer post molt rehousing. Its just better for the T, imo.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I was planning on doing my P cambri and C fimbriatus re-housings during pre-molt (preferably in the morning on a cool day too) lol

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
It all depends on how you do it. It's a more sensitive period than usual since they're clumsier and usually their abdomen is at their biggest so if there's a risk of a fall, there's more chances of that happening, but as long as you're careful and minimize the risks, it shouldn't change much.

I've rehoused a couple of slings very soon(a few hours at most) after they had molted(because I noticed too late they had molted so I thought I might as well bother them a little more now rather than start again later) and they all did fine, I was just extra careful with them.
Pre-molt is a less sensitive time so I'd assume there's even less risk.

Last edited:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Rehouse after molting, but give at least a few days for the spider to regain strength and harden at least somewhat. With a NW species, wait till hardened fully. With certain OWs (and only if done extremely carefully!) it can make sense to rehouse 3-4 days after molting as they're less inclined to run or try to bite. However I don't suggest this unless you know what you're doing. In general always wait until spider ist completely hardened again. Depending on size and age that can take up to a couple weeks even. It'll be alright unless the case is ridiculously small.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I personally prefer to wait until pre-molt for my OW or more spirited NW, it makes everything smoother for me and I've noted that the spider is just less likely to fight me or run away during the rehouse. I've had spiders molt within a day of being in their new enclosure and were fine and were ready to eat as soon as they hardened up; everyone wins in this case. Of course I can do moves while they aren't in pre-molt either but why make things harder when you are dealing with potent animals?

Phillosiraptor

Arachnopeon
If ive been keeping the enclosure too moist and realized recently that the T is holding back from molting because it doesnt like how moist the substrate is, would it be okay to rehouse it to get it on to dryer substrate, its a grammostola pulchra, been in premolt for a while, but has been avoiding the damp substrate, (i didnt know) but i want her to molt comfortabley

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
If ive been keeping the enclosure too moist and realized recently that the T is holding back from molting because it doesnt like how moist the substrate is, would it be okay to rehouse it to get it on to dryer substrate, its a grammostola pulchra, been in premolt for a while, but has been avoiding the damp substrate, (i didnt know) but i want her to molt comfortabley
How to make a new post with pictures this thread,is nine years old. Low chance of a response from op.