Sluggish Behaviour

killainstinct

Arachnopeon
Hi guys,

Noticed something different about my T's behaviour.

Again could be completely normal and I am just a novice being too nosey.

My Sp Red tends to be quite active moving around the enclosure or sitting out in the open quite relaxed since I made some changes to her enclosure mentioned by some of you guys.

For the last few days she has been sat with her front two legs on the side of the water bowl in the EXACT same position. Refused food twice (although this has happned before so no worries there, t is very healthy with a nice plump abdomen compared to when I received her).

Yesterday I thought I would try another cricket, and it was still there in the morning so I took it out. She had walked off into the hide when disturbed by the cricket, this morning I found her back out in the same position with legs on the bowl. The bowl is full and she has access to the water, temperatures and humidity are as usual in my room. A little substrate has been mounded up near the bowl, and a very small and i mean very small patch of hair is missing from her abdomen.

I'm not experienced enough to know if this is premolt behaviour or if it is normal. Not panicking just yet just thought I would see what yuy guys have to say. Again could be completely normal behaviour I have only been in the hobby 5 months at best!

Thanks for any help!

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
It sounds very much like premolt.

They're a slower growing species from what I've heard(I don't have one myself, if it's indeed the species I'm thinking of) so she could also just be full and not feeling like moving much. Slow growers have a tendency to not move much from time to time and why would they when all their needs are satisfied.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
I agree with sam, I think it could be pre-molt or just full, how often do you feed it and how big is it?

GG80

Arachnoknight
Sounds like pre-molt behaviour to me also. I'd make sure there are no live crickets in there if the T is about to molt. Your spider could end up being a big meal for the cricket.

killainstinct

Arachnopeon
I agree with sam, I think it could be pre-molt or just full, how often do you feed it and how big is it?
I feed it once a week with an absolutely tiny cricket (smallest ones I can get) every 5-6 weeks I let it fast for two weeks. Size wise its about 2.5-3 inches I've never really measured it if I'm honest but thats what I reckon from leg to opposite leg.

Sounds like pre-molt behaviour to me also. I'd make sure there are no live crickets in there if the T is about to molt. Your spider could end up being a big meal for the cricket.
Thanks, I removed all crickets as I could tell t would move away and sit in a corner, once again it has come back to the water bowl and settled into the same position

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Maybe try a bit bigger crickets? (not bigger than the size of its body though), give it pre-killed, as already said live crickets can harm or even kill a molting T.. if he doesn't take it I think it could be pre-molt, but as longs as the T is fat you have no need to fret, just make sure it has access to a water bowl at all times.. Ts in the 2" - 3" range can take on larger prey, no need to feed them very tiny prey items, but like I said, give it pre-killed when suspecting pre-molt, also when the feeder is too small some Ts may not eat it..