Jimmy Fallon with tarantulas on his head, Urgh

Sharno

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Was looking at other Fallon videos and came across this one with two adult tarantulas placed on his head, etc. I guess this reduces public fear and dispels some misconceptions.

But still, not a great idea to be promoting.

My question his - how on earth does this handler (who must be from a respected zoo) avoid the urticating hair issue with the animals so close to Jimmy's face? You're just asking for hairs in the eyes. That's nothing to be messed with.

Thoughts?

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY-FzWumn_A

Sharon

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Surprisingly, there probably wasn't a lot of thought put into this.

jiacovazzi

Arachnoknight
Absolute ignorance and stupidity, nothing more than a publicity stunt that I'm sure wont further the hobby.

Roosterbomb

Arachnopeon
I saw that segment a couple weeks back. What's more is the fact that Jimmy Fallon was clearly not into it. He looked downright scared. So many angles of irresponsibility. But I feel dissapointed when people force monkeys hedgehogs or cats into other peoples personnel space. People are sometimes only frightened because of a lack of knowledge and tossing a couple of tarantulas on someone's head doesn't seem to help with the education process lol.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Being from a respected zoo obviously doesn't mean you're very knowledgeable on everything animal related. Pure stupidity and ignorance, as already stated. Not only the T, but Jimmy could've been harmed as well.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
These animal segments on talk shows are often just sensationalism. Very often the "expert" gives wrong info or facts about the animals they have on. Just youtube any of Jack Hanna's clips. Hopefully the aniamsl and that Mexican white knee spider (Grammostola pulchripes ;) ) are well cared for by people who know about them though.

Anybody remember the video from a few years ago when some "animal expert" dropped a large Theraphosa on live TV ? It's abdomen burst and he claimed the guts that were spewing out if it were eggs, and that it was going to have babies :rolleyes: clicky

Later, Tom

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Yes, I also noticed that was a Grammostola pulchripes. LOL at the Theraphosa incident... Poor T.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
The video link to the dropped T doesn't appear to work anymore, which is actually probably better for my night's sleep.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I read the whole topic. The person who dropped the T promptly apologized and took the criticism like a champ. The T didnt die, though, which is amazing.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
The best host for animal guests was Johnny Carson, in my opinion, He was genuinely interested, and was able to still be entertaining. To many of the latter day hosts are more interested in mugging for the camera, I think. I've often found myself literally speaking to the host on the TV, "Shut up, I want to hear about this animal, stop wasting time!"

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Johnny was great, these days the host put on the same old overly scared fake act around the animals. It stinks.

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice find, that's the video I was referring too. Although the guy did seem apologetic and remorseful in the thread I linked to, I don't believe the spider lived through that ordeal.

Later, Tom
Yeah, Magill said that it did in his apology letter, but I just can't see how. That huge rupture looked irreparable.

TarantulasWorld

Arachnosquire
two horrible videos. With that 2nd one most definitely must've resulted in a tarantula death. Not really the kind of handling you would want to promote to anyone starting in the hobby.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Nice find, that's the video I was referring too. Although the guy did seem apologetic and remorseful in the thread I linked to, I don't believe the spider lived through that ordeal.

Later, Tom
In his e-mail, at least, he stated it had lived. I don't know if that's true or not.

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire