Male H. maculata

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
thanks for any help.

My H. mac is likely a male but I'm having trouble telling if he's an adult or not. He seems super fuzzier and feathery than the last time I saw him but when I tried to check for emboli I couldn't find any. I was looking through a smokescreen of webbed plastic though so it may be hard to tell. His peds did look kind of bulbous but it wasn't as obvious as other mm species. I would love it if anyone has pics of the peds or other obvious features of mature males. Thanks again!

captmarga

Arachnobaron
The palps will look something like the little hoof of a donkey. I don't so much see them as "boxing gloves" on most of the arboreal and related, but instead like the sharp, upright hooves of a baby donkey.

cold blood

Staff member
Classic example of a thread in desperate need of a pic or three....basically worthless without it.

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
He's asking to see pictures of a male, he's not asking us to tell him if he has a male or not so his post is not worthless without a pic(but since he's asking for pics, then yes, the thread is kind of worthless without them or at least a link to one).

You can't get a much better picture of a male H. maculata emboli than this picture from papilio's thread: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?226615-Papilio-s-photo-thread&p=2015635#post2015635

and if you scroll up a bit, he has a picture of his male. They're not the same color so it should be easy to tell.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Wow, that is a great picture! It's super hard to see and I'll never be able to see this guy's emboli! I know he's a male from sexing this latest molt but I don't know if he's mature. I'm guessing he's at least 3 inches but less than 4. Thanks for the link Sam! His peds are kind of wide and round but not so obviously bulbous like other species.