New world arboreal molting?

jottol1661

Arachnopeon
Hey guys my 1" p.cambridgei seems to be molting but I just wanted opinions due to it not possessing hairs. Its really started webbing alot as well and its colors seem to be fading. This morning I woke up to it with what seems to be a dark patch near the top of the abdomen. Let me know what you think, Thanks!

Attachments

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
That's just their abdominal markings.. mine looks exactly like that.. no they don't possess urticating bristles so no you won't find a bald patch on their abdomens.. it doesn't look like it's molting, it could be in pre-molt but that looks like a T just hanging out.. and is that substrate filled to the top of the enclosure? those are aboreal not terrestrial or burrowers.. they need less substrate, a peace of cork slab to climb on and some fake plants, they make amazing dirt webs when given enough anchor points.. fill that enclosure about 1/4 of substrate.. they need space to climb..

jottol1661

Arachnopeon
Yes it has space, its dragged substrate up into its web.

---------- Post added 05-06-2015 at 09:11 AM ----------

The picture doesn't do it justice but I'm pretty sure its not been that dark before

cold blood

Staff member
I agree, it looks pretty normal.

It definitely needs to be re-housed IMO....Looks bigger than 1" by a bunch....unless you are talking body size, which will just confuse most of us.

Keep track of the molting schedules, they are very predictable....every 30-45 days depending on outside variables is pretty normal.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
The 1st picture I posted is a 1.5" specimen, in heavy pre-molt, so you can compare..

jottol1661

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the responses guys. Its currently about an inch and I was planning on waiting for its next molt before a rehouse but I went ahead and put it in something with alot more vertical space. Is there any fairly dependable indicators for identifying an old world or similar t in pre molt? So much info going around the web I don't know what to believe?! Thanks in advance

cold blood

Staff member
When a P. cam stops eating its a good indicator....they're a pretty voracious species.

Their undersides and femurs will really blacken and get a slight shine just prior.

Heavy webbing and hiding all the time are other indicators

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
The abdomens usually darken up and gets shiny.. you'll easily see this in slings and some juveniles..

jottol1661

Arachnopeon
Here's a pic of her ( hopefully) new enclosure and one of my suspected male p. Regalis new home just for the hell of it ( I'm proud.)

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
In terms of ventilation, you went about it all wrong. Top ventilation is less than ideal, cross ventilation is what you want.....holes should be on the sides, not on the lid. Lid ventilation doesn't promote air movement within the enclosure, also any humidity being created within simply floats out of the top....thus destroying any micro-climate you are trying to form.

jottol1661

Arachnopeon
So plug up some of the holes? Everything I've read states they require good ventilation?

---------- Post added 05-07-2015 at 12:49 PM ----------

The pokie has the cross ventilation correctly though? I was simply re housing it in a container I had from a previous T

---------- Post added 05-07-2015 at 12:52 PM ----------

Alternatively I have a lid with less holes I can use and poke some in the sides with a pin or needle?

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Yes they need good ventilation, cross-ventilation.. not top ventilation, top ventilation defeats the purpose of a micro-climate, and makes the enclosure stuffy at the bottom which is bad for avics.. the pokies ventilation looks ok, I'd personally add some vent holes above the substrate as well.. for the avic you can do the same, but add a row or two extra

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah, the pokie does have it, but I'd double the amount you have....top ventilation should be minimal.

They do require good ventilation, plugging holes isn't what I meant....they holes are just in the wrong place. A couple rings of holes around like you have with the pokie is ideal...with that, top venting is not only unnecessary, but actually works against what you are trying to achieve.

Sana

Arachnoprince
In addition to what these guys are saying, I would add a couple rings of holes maybe an inch above the substrate. Good cross ventilation at the bottom can prevent a lot of problems down the road.