Brachypelma Smithi juvenile

craigrich

Arachnopeon
IMAG0211.jpg IMAG0251.jpg

Got this juvenile just short of 3 weeks ago. He/she is refusing to eat anything though. I know fine this is typical tarantula behaviour but this is the first time I've ever owned a juvenile. Is it normal for them to run away from a cricket? I owned an adult G Rosea before and if that wasn't hungry it just completely ignored the crickets. Could just be in premolt I suppose.

horanjp

Arachnosquire
Smithi aren't in a hurry to do much of anything, which includes eating or growing. You've begun a decades long project by keeping one- abdomen looks fine, plump even....Just try again next week, rinse, repeat. They're worth the wait :coffee:

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's a large cricket may try pre killing cricket or try smaller cricket. I agree with horanjp its plump give it time and offer it food each week as long as it has water it will survive a long while. It may just be intimidated by larger crickets. Offer smaller prey or prekilled . If you don't have many spiders you can try meal worms until it starts eating again they store for a long time in the refrigearator. Be sure to crush there heads before feeding to spider don't want a meal worm going under ground then chomping on a molting spider down the road. Having mealworms saves on crickets around here the price has gone up to 14 cents apiece for crickets. Once they start eating again then I buy crickets.

TsunamiSpike

Arachnosquire
You've begun a decades long project by keeping one- abdomen looks fine, plump even....Just try again next week, rinse, repeat. They're worth the wait :coffee:
Better be worth it...lol ours is a .75in sling...Long wait to see some colour

truecreature

Arachnoknight
What size is the T? It's hard to tell from the picture, but KK's are escapable for spiders up to a certain size

cold blood

Staff member
They're all not destined to grow slowly. Keep them warm and feed them well and many will grow almost fast. In one year my 1" sling got to 3.5"....appears female as well....its now 4" in about a year and a half. Mine's always been a fantastic eater though, that's key...I've raised a B. vagans that grew so slowly until it hit an inch, simply because its appetite was terrible...since that 1" mark its growing so much faster its hard to believe its the same t....molt periods down from 80-111 days to 30-40 days and now growth is good, before it was barely noticeable.

Color starts to show between 1.25 and 2" depending on the specimen....mine started to show those colors at about 1.75"...maybe a little less.

skippydude

Arachnobaron
It looks to be in pre-molt. I wouldn't torture it with attempted feedings until after the molt. Abdomen is plenty big enough to survive months without food.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Not that long for some colour. First picture is about a month after arrival, September 9, 2014. Not sure of the size at that time, and there is nothing there for scale. The second photo is a shot of when i recently measured her with some software I use. I can't attest to the accuracy of it, it works similar to the on-line snake-widget measuring tool, but stands alone without having to upload a picture. It shows the spider at 1.92, and the photo I used was taken on May 4th, 2015, just a bit shy of 7 months after I took the first one. So, you get a rough idea of the colour and growth over seven months, roughly. So you won't have to wait THAT long for some colour.

Edit: Decided I should clarify. The arrival was September 9th, the first photo was taken on October 14th.

Attachments

Last edited:

GG80

Arachnoknight
@cb and tim, you are making me so jealous. I have had mine for just under a year and it's painfully slow. It was approx 3/8" when I got it and it's only around 1.25"-1.5" now. It's only showing the faintest hint of colour since its last molt. It just won't eat for me at all. After a molt it will eat at most 3 times and that's it, back into a fast until it molts again. So frustrating.

cold blood

Staff member
@cb and tim, you are making me so jealous. I have had mine for just under a year and it's painfully slow. It was approx 3/8" when I got it and it's only around 1.25"-1.5" now. It's only showing the faintest hint of colour since its last molt. It just won't eat for me at all. After a molt it will eat at most 3 times and that's it, back into a fast until it molts again. So frustrating.
It is...my albiceps was brutal when tiny. In a full year it went from 3/8" to just under an inch...it would eat 2-3 times between molts and when it did...you really couldn't tell...growth was seemingly non-existent....but once it hit an inch it fed better, and molted quicker...after that its been an eating machine like someone flipped a switch on the thing.

TsunamiSpike

Arachnosquire
Good to know. She's actually looking good for premolt at the mo. Refusing food and showing the same signs as last time. However long it takes glad we got her, could never go without one in our collection.

MissyMaguire

Arachnopeon
View attachment 136359 View attachment 136358

Got this juvenile just short of 3 weeks ago. He/she is refusing to eat anything though. I know fine this is typical tarantula behaviour but this is the first time I've ever owned a juvenile. Is it normal for them to run away from a cricket? I owned an adult G Rosea before and if that wasn't hungry it just completely ignored the crickets. Could just be in premolt I suppose.
OMG, I ENVY you. I don't have any friends with T's.....otherwise I'd be at THEIR house all the time LOL.

Keep us updated as to what goes on with him / her. A Smithi is the first one I'm gonna get.

Not sure if I want a sling or a full grown adult. I may get an adult just to see how I do with them

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Try midway. Get a juvenile. Unless you get a confirmed female adult, you run a chance of having a male hook out on you and your time with it will be relatively short. Confirmed adult females are pretty expensive, I believe.

pepey05

Arachnopeon
I have a juvenile B smithi. She is about 2" and 2 years old. Got her last September and she hasn't molted yet. Good feeder though. Back to the original thread I agree prey does look slightly large. Leave it for a few weeks and all will be fine my friend. I had a similar situation with B emila, she just hid for 4 weeks in her hide, now she eats and roams around fine!

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arachnopeon
That's a large cricket may try pre killing cricket or try smaller cricket. I agree with horanjp its plump give it time and offer it food each week as long as it has water it will survive a long while. It may just be intimidated by larger crickets. Offer smaller prey or prekilled . If you don't have many spiders you can try meal worms until it starts eating again they store for a long time in the refrigearator. Be sure to crush there heads before feeding to spider don't want a meal worm going under ground then chomping on a molting spider down the road. Having mealworms saves on crickets around here the price has gone up to 14 cents apiece for crickets. Once they start eating again then I buy crickets.
My local Petsmart has a deal on crickets every day. For all sizes, you buy 1, it's 13 cents. Buy 10, it's 12 cents. Buy 20, it's 11 cents. All the way down to 9 cents per cricket.

cold blood

Staff member
I get them for 99 cents a dozen....usually get more than a dozen, too.

I'm gonna be rich soon with all them pennies I'm saving.;P

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I can order online but I would have to buy 100 count and everyone in my household freaks out about crickets. I need more spiders.

KevinLovett86

Arachnopeon
2 bus stops away I have a pet shop that sells mealworms, but that’s for fish, I’ll have to check what’s the least amount I could buy for a single sling/juvie