Giant desert hairy scorpion tunnel cave in!

21Grams

Arachnopeon
I have a baby giant desert hairy scorpion (3/4 inch) and he has made a nice burrow along the side of the glass cage. The tunnels about 3 inches long and the entrance had a cave in. Is he able to push out the sand/clay mixture? or should I go in and clear the entrance so he can walk out? I'm just worried hes not hanging out deep in his cave cus he wants to anymore. Pictures can be taken if needed.

Thanks!

21Grams

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
They can easily burrow out, he wont die. The substrate should be very deep, even for youngsters, as this genus makes very large burrows, even when young.

flashy5150

Arachnopeon
I have a baby giant desert hairy scorpion (3/4 inch) and he has made a nice burrow along the side of the glass cage. The tunnels about 3 inches long and the entrance had a cave in. Is he able to push out the sand/clay mixture? or should I go in and clear the entrance so he can walk out? I'm just worried hes not hanging out deep in his cave cus he wants to anymore. Pictures can be taken if needed.

Thanks!

21Grams
I agree with smokehound. I have one that just loves to stay in her burrow. Sometimes she goes in there and blocks the entire entrance with dirt. Then at night, about 11:30pm, all of a sudden you will see her running around the tank, trying to make burrows elsewhere. Desert Hairy's are the most prolific burrowers and if they get scared by something earlier in the day, they will block their burrow -- I think sometimes they need extra humidity, sometimes they need to keep a loose cricket out while they rest and sometimes it's just because they want it a bit cooler and quiet. They have a lot of personality and they tell you when they don't want to be bothered -- by closing the door lol. They can dig their way out of a cave-in. Cheers

21Grams

Arachnopeon
Thanks so much guys, those were the best answers I could have hoped for.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Just remember these are obligate burrowers.

They need deep substrate, the depth should be twice the length of the scorpion.