Tarantula Surgery.

Issehalsey

Arachnopeon
My Brachypelma Baumgarteni, Charmander....
I saw her two days ago walking very weird. Almost DKS like. She wasn't lifting her body off the ground, and was clumping her bedding under her mouth. Moved her, found mold in that clump. So i immediately put her in an ICU. She started moving more yesterday, but I still left her there cause I thought she might have been getting dehydrated. (She always has a full, clean waterdish. However she was not using it.)

Turns out that ICU was probably the worst thing I couldve done. Apparently she was in premolt, or she forced a molt. Idk. So this morning I checked on her, and found she started to molt. Carapace was popped out and so was her abdomen. Unfortunately her legs were stuck at two cuticles. So I waited to see if she'd get out but she started hardening. So I decided to help her. Cut her out, and I saved her (I hope.) All her legs came out great, minimal to no blood loss. Only bad thing is she is most likely losing a pedipalp. She should be fine. My question is.. is there anything I can do for her other than making sure she's drinking enough? I assume no, but I have to ask. She is my most prized tarantula.

Before molt and after surgery. Yes shes on a table, but that's not where it started. I had her on a paper towel, but she was fighting me a little and scooted off it.
uploadfromtaptalk1431008726751.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1431008749051.jpg

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Wet moult has nothing to do with water really, it's just that they appear "wet" afterwards due to underdeveloped exo underneath. I will agree though, that moving a premolt tarantula into an icu was pointless.

How far were her legs stuck in the molt? Can she move them at all now?
Assuming she can use her legs properly, other than making sure she can easily reach water you should just leave her alone to recover.

Issehalsey

Arachnopeon
Wet moult has nothing to do with water really, it's just that they appear "wet" afterwards due to underdeveloped exo underneath. I will agree though, that moving a premolt tarantula into an icu was pointless.

How far were her legs stuck in the molt? Can she move them at all now?
Assuming she can use her legs properly, other than making sure she can easily reach water you should just leave her alone to recover.
Well as i stated, i didn't move her until I saw mold. Which is why I thought she was acting like that. she just molted about 4 or 5 months ago. So was not expecting premolt. She can move all legs, including the injured pedipalp. Her legs were stuck at the top cuticle, and the second one from her toe. Sorry do not know scientific names for them. She literally could not get any part of her legs out. She had moved in her cage, and she has taken water in. I believe she will be fine.

Issehalsey

Arachnopeon
Update : she has just passed away. She wouldn't take food, and I wasn't sure she was getting enough water. Was trying to drop water in her mouth parts, and crushed up crickets/worms too. Her fangs had hardened a little funny, but they looked ok enough for her to eat. Only thing she would do was pulse her legs and clump up bedding in her mouthparts. She still seemed lively, other than not being able to lift herself up due to deformed-ish legs. Checked on her for the fifth or so time today, and she was not moving anymore. Took her out to try to water again, no response. This is a sad day for me. She was my second tarantula I've ever owned. She gave me a good three years+.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I am so sorry -- I bet she was beautiful in full health. Just saddened at this.:unhappy: