Heterometrus Spinifer or ????

kellysaxez

Arachnosquire
and am I a male or female please and thank you? From the looks of it it isn't an H. long, but can't rule out much more. I Tried to get a pic of the chelae open and clearer pic of oper and pectins but the case was scratched and I did not wish to further stress her/him by holding it by what is basically something comparable to us being held in the air by the arm. Thanks for you patience and guidance,

Kelly and Gunner (?) or Jemma (?) the H. spinifer (?) Or a P. fav? (from the red in the claw, but that telson is black)

Attachments

Last edited:

kellysaxez

Arachnosquire
And then thre are these..

I tried to edit previous photos but cannot so must add, so sorry. Managed to get some of telson and chelae and wanted to supply those as well to help in id. Also included is a pic of the deplorable conditions the pet store i rescued it from kept it in. I tried three different times, via phone and in person, to educate the store supervisor that "no, not all scorpions are a desert creature and keeping this one you have, which is an asian forest scorpion, in the conditions it's in will hurt it. It's a forest species and needs not sand but cocoa fiber and moist humid wet environment, no too moist, just enough for some water to squeez out when compressed and please get rid of the bacteria ridden sponge it was sitting on top of desperately trying to get a drink, it needs fresh water" jerk's response "well, i don't have any care sheets so i don't know to believe you or not". My respnse "??? You run a pet store and you can't google the name asian scorpion or forest or desert scorpion on your own?" his response "i'm going to have to ask you to leave" my response "only after i bought the poor creature" his response "fine, 35 dollars and you can have it" my response "sold!!!"

i hate hate hate ignorant, neglectful, jerks like that :(

dicks.jpg

IMG_0968.jpg

telson1.jpg

fullfrontal.jpg

kellysaxez

Arachnosquire
and to add a bit of information, I put it in the tank with a juvie H. spinifer that just molted into about a 2.75" from head to tail (certain on sp of this one) and added a divider. It wasn't long before the little one had squeezed through the NARROWEST of gaps between edge of divider and wall of the tank. I panicked thinking it would be eaten close to immediately. Wrong. What happened surprised me. The two faced one another, the little one wagged it's tail around for a minute, and then promptly climbed ON TO THE BACK OF ITS NOW TANK MATE and the new one covered it with its tail! The little one climbed off, the larger one followed it, the little one climbed back on and off again, with no complaints form the larger one as of yet, and when the larger/new one wedged itself into a nice shallow hole in the substrate, the little one, no kidding, burrowed under it and stayed there until i took the larger/new one out for pics. I am not under the delusion that something such as cannibalism is not a possibility if not a probability, but perhaps the age difference makes it a safer (albeit unintended) experiment. And, would anything other than a female allow for a younger scorpion to climb onto it's back?

kellysaxez

Arachnosquire
Thanks for all the comments. I did some research and think it's probably an H. petersii. Cool. Well, yall have a great weekend. And thanks again :)

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Agree with you on H. petersii based on those pics! :)

Did you use a key or base it off information on this forum!?

Looks like quite an old specimen so try to get a brood out of her asap!

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've not personally kept any Heterometrus species, but it's my understanding that many are very communal, like some of the Pandinus species.

Jarvis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would say either h. Petersii or possibly h. cyaneus. Most Heterometrus sp. tend to be very tolerant of one another, however I would separate them, they will eat one another with little notice if kept together for long and not from the same family

kellysaxez

Arachnosquire
Agree with you on H. petersii based on those pics! :)

Did you use a key or base it off information on this forum!?

Looks like quite an old specimen so try to get a brood out of her asap!

I thought likewise to it being a female and petersii (and yes, from a key of sorts and in comparing that key to pics on this site), I thought likewise in that she might be getting on in age, and more than likely sold by the pet store/breeder who used her up till she needed replacing. That having been said, I don't think I'll try to BE GETTING BROOD OUT OF HER ASAP.. no need. Let the poor girl rest. lol.. females of any species are simply dissed... so sad