Have an enclosure to fill, any suggestions?

BugMasterD

Arachnopeon
I purchased a terrarium that measures 18L x 18W x 24H, was a great deal, I couldn't pass up, and trying to think of ideas on what to put in there, as I believe it is too large for any arboreal tarantula, I've been thinking of colonies of insects.

Maybe roaches? Assassin bugs? I may even go outside and try to hunt down some phasmids.

What would you guys suggest?

Sentinel

Arachnopeon
Lol, why not ladybugs or butterflies? I'm not kidding. I like ladybugs, and you can buy tubs of them at places like Meadows Farm here in the US. Caterpillars are always fun to watch. And I doubt much compares to keeping tiger swallowtails and monarchs. You COULD try a stick insect. Or for a REALLY cool pet, Thorn Bugs/Tree Hoppers. They look like multi-colored living shark teeth.

BugMasterD

Arachnopeon
You could get some amblypygi, like damon diadema
Fprgot about those! I used to own like three of them.

Lol, why not ladybugs or butterflies? I'm not kidding. I like ladybugs, and you can buy tubs of them at places like Meadows Farm here in the US. Caterpillars are always fun to watch. And I doubt much compares to keeping tiger swallowtails and monarchs. You COULD try a stick insect. Or for a REALLY cool pet, Thorn Bugs/Tree Hoppers. They look like multi-colored living shark teeth.
I never thought of butterflies! I always thought they needed TONS of space. As for Ladybugs, not going to lie, they're a bit... Plain. As we've had 'infestations' of these around my neighborhood, last few years. Now tree hoppers and thornbugs, never thought of those.

Sentinel

Arachnopeon
Fprgot about those! I used to own like three of them.

I never thought of butterflies! I always thought they needed TONS of space. As for Ladybugs, not going to lie, they're a bit... Plain. As we've had 'infestations' of these around my neighborhood, last few years. Now tree hoppers and thornbugs, never thought of those.
Goliathhb.jpg

I've got it: Goliath Beetles.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That particular Dynastes beetle pictured, Dynastes hercules, is not native to the U.S.

Sentinel

Arachnopeon
That particular Dynastes beetle pictured, Dynastes hercules, is not native to the U.S.
You're right, sorry about that. Mixed up North and South America for some reason. But any restrictions on it? If so, he could always go for Rhinoceros Beetles or Stag Beetles.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You're right, sorry about that. Mixed up North and South America for some reason. But any restrictions on it? If so, he could always go for Rhinoceros Beetles or Stag Beetles.
I don't think Dynastes hercules is legal, but native Rhinoceros beetles (Dynastes tityus, Dynastes granti) or Stag beetles (Lucanus sp.) should be fine to keep.

BugMasterD

Arachnopeon
If I get any lucanus or dynastes beetles, are they capable of being kept communal, even if they are larvae?

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I believe they can be kept communal, though I'm no beetle expert by any means. Orin McMonigle's books would be good to read for more detailed info:

-The Ultimate Guide to Breeding Beetles, Coleoptera Laboratory Culture Methods

-The Complete Guide to Rearing the Eastern Hercules Beetle

-The Complete Guide to Rearing the Elephant Stag Beetle
and Other Stags

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Beetles spend several years as a grub and just a few months as an adult. I'm assuming this tank is a front opening one? In my experience those don't work well for critters that need deep sub to burrow in.

What about a planted vivarium or even a paludarium?

BugMasterD

Arachnopeon
Beetles spend several years as a grub and just a few months as an adult. I'm assuming this tank is a front opening one? In my experience those don't work well for critters that need deep sub to burrow in.

What about a planted vivarium or even a paludarium?
Correct! I have enough for about four-five inches for substrate, below the door.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You could put the mature beetles in that tank I suppose, but the grubs would probably be better off in an aquarium type tank or just a plastic tub.