Are we in premolt?

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
to me neither really look like they have darkening on the abd. did you just get them? renovate their enclosures or rehouse?

Joseppi189

Arachnopeon
Guess not then. Ya they got put in new enclosures a couple weeks ago, must still be settling in.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Iv had a T take up to a month to eat in a new cage.. You def will know when premolt. Tho xp

cold blood

Staff member
That pulchripes may not be quite there, but its close...probably close enough that it may refuse food till next molt....don't fret if it doesn't eat and don't feel compelled to continue offering if it does refuse.

Joseppi189

Arachnopeon
That pulchripes may not be quite there, but its close...probably close enough that it may refuse food till next molt....don't fret if it doesn't eat and don't feel compelled to continue offering if it does refuse.
ya hes refusing, i try every couple days. amazing little spider, love him! thanks for the help again cold blood! you and poec54 are especially helpful with everything.
i appreciate it, i want to be the best keeper i can be.

GG80

Arachnoknight
I agree that neither look like they are in heavy pre-molt. However, I have a B. boehmei sling that suprises me everytime it molts. It has never displayed the dark shiney abdomen associated with pre-molt. It's a pretty bad eater aswell, maybe 3-4 times between molts, so I cant even judge pre-molt by its eating habits either.
I wouldn't worry too much if your Ts don't eat too much as their abdomens look good and healthy in your pics.

Joseppi189

Arachnopeon
just an update, cold blood, you were right! look at her now! heavy pre-molt, her abdomen turned all black now. from what ive read that means she could pop out any day now.

Attachments

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Doesnt look as black as it could be looks mid premolt to me but she is now official premolt xp

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Well by black as it could mean i meanwhen they are like days away from a molt usually its about as black as obsidian and about as shiny as lava glass xD

cold blood

Staff member
Well by black as it could mean i meanwhen they are like days away from a molt usually its about as black as obsidian and about as shiny as lava glass xD
I agree...that dark rump phase could last weeks or months with some...but once you see it get shiny, start looking for a molting mat, cause now its getting close.

Joseppi189

Arachnopeon
so i have a follow up question.. for some reason, she decided to come out of her hide and chill in the corner here and push up some substrate as like a borrow-ish thing..
A. do they usually ignore their hides and do their own thing like that or is something not ideal with the hide?
B. in that little corner she can barely fit, do they not need much room to molt?
its a spider with instincts and she clearly put effort into her little nook so im sure everything is normal but im asking for educational purposes.

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
Whoa man, that set-up needs some work. There's WAY too much vertical space, which is dangerous, especially for a pre-molt terrestrial. Adding more sub will make it safer as well as provide deeper sub for the t to burrow, and when smaller, this species loves to burrow. The hide is also too big for that t, they like tight places to make them feel secure. Think of it like this, they would be more comfortable (if human) under the bed, than in in a church...I also suggest partially burying any hide you use to reduce the space and encourage burrowing.

Don't worry about where it chooses to molt, its done this many times before and it knows what its doing.:wink: