Newbie question

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just got two new Florida ivory millipedes (do not remember the scientific name, sorry guys!). I had a millipede once back in college but it died after about a year sadly due to mites :-( That was probably ten years ago, though, so I'm a little rusty. How often should I water them and how moist should I keep the substrate? Are there any clear visual sign(s) I should watch for that indicate they will be molting? All factoids appreciated!

DVirginiana

Arachnopeon
I've always kept N. americanus, but I use topsoil as substrate and usually leave one area that is quite moist. When they are about to molt they'll burrow down and rest in the curled up defense position and get kind of a filmy white look to them. The actual molting process can take quite awhile so it's important not to get worried and disturb them once you realize that's what they're doing.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrats on the new pedes! If you're keeping them on a cocofiber mix substrate, you'll eventually get a feel for when it looks too dry, since it starts to become a lighter color. What kind of enclosure are they in? Ventilation will affect how often they need to be watered. I mist mine about twice a week.

Do you know the sex of your pedes? C. spinigerus can be pretty explosive breeders in captivity.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I do not know their sex but they do seem to cuddle a lot lol! If they do breed, what signs should I be looking for? They are in a tank w a screen top. The last time I moistened their substrate it got moldy so I'm worried ab that... I replaced it of course and The substrate has been pretty much dry since. Besides everyday heavy spraying. Is that not a great idea? If so how for keep the sub moist wout causing mold? Should I replace the sub on a regulR basis?

DVirginiana

Arachnopeon
What substrate are you using and how much ventilation do they have? I've kept tropical conditions with sphagnum moss, cocofiber, and topsoil and never had the actual substrate mold. You do have to be on point and immediately remove uneaten food though.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Maybe it was the food! I use exoterra coco fiber. How moist should it be. There's plenty of ventilation

DVirginiana

Arachnopeon
Could be the food. I use topsoil for my millipede which seems to hold overall humidity a bit better. Cocofiber seems like it's either really wet or bone dry. For my first millipedes I did use cocofiber though, and I would mist the top layer lightly on a daily basis and keep a small area around/under the water dish saturated. I've often found them burrowed down in both the dry and wet areas so I like to provide both.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hmm the guy I got it from said no water dish... I guess I'll add one

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Whoops didn't see that this thread updated. http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?263344-Cavedweller-s-Basic-Millipede-Caresheet This caresheet covers the basics, how to tell males from females, what type of substrate to use, ect.

I advise against water bowls. They're a needless hassle at best and potentially lead to drowned plings. The right substrate mix within the occasional misting will provide all the moisture your pedes need. I use 50% cocofiber, 25% dead hardwood leaves, 25% aspen shaving pet bedding/shredded rotten wood, with an extra layer of dead leaves on top. I mist my tanks about twice a week.

Is this what you mean by "cuddling"? I never got any offspring from these guys despite repeated mating, as far as I know Orthoporus ornatus has never been successfully bred in captivity. There aren't really any obvious signs that plings are on the way. Tiny, tiny maggot looking babies just show up in the substrate one day if you're lucky.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The cuddling is less belly to belly. But they are often intertwined or curled up on each other.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh, millipedes do that sometimes, it's not necessarily indicative of courtship behavior. Sure is cute though!

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Omg it's adorable! I'm going to try to sex my other pede but I'm suspicious I have a male and female