Feeding an un-webbed avic?

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Okay so it's been long enough since my new avic molted (while at the dealer's) that it's okay to feed it...however I'm wondering how i get it to notice the crickets, since it stays in the high right corner of the tank? If it had a web i'd just toss 'em onto that, but as it is....

Is their eyesight good enough they can see and stalk from that distance?

morda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think she will go down at night for hunt.
They do not have good sight. They're almost blind :)

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sometimes i wonder tham same about my avic's...i pulled 3 crix oput of the cage today that i thought had been eaten. my avics have not webbed in over 3 months, the like the glass i think, just drop the stuff in, i am sure they will find it eventually.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Trust me, when your T is humgry, it will find it's meal. I found that with Avic's I have kept, many seemed to be a little less ravenous about feeding than some other T's. They wouldn't always outright tackle and pulverize their prey but rather take their time and maybe even wait for some privacy. Sure enough though by the next morning the crix would be all gone, or most of them at least.
Anyhow, don't worry about the lack of silk, your T will find it's food for sure.

Atrax

jesses

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pheonixx said:
sometimes i wonder tham same about my avic's...i pulled 3 crix oput of the cage today that i thought had been eaten. my avics have not webbed in over 3 months, the like the glass i think, just drop the stuff in, i am sure they will find it eventually.
Put the crickets in and tomorrow they'll be eaten.

If you want instant action, use chopsticks, tweezers, or needle-nose pliars to grab the cricket by the walking legs (not the jumping legs, those will just fall off) and then touch the cricket to the Avic's front legs... If the Avic wants it, it will grab it real fast

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
jesses said:
Put the crickets in and tomorrow they'll be eaten.

If you want instant action, use chopsticks, tweezers, or needle-nose pliars to grab the cricket by the walking legs (not the jumping legs, those will just fall off) and then touch the cricket to the Avic's front legs... If the Avic wants it, it will grab it real fast

I'd considered doing that, but of course my Avic knew what was up and hid behind something.

Zombie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Atrax said:
Trust me, when your T is humgry, it will find it's meal. I found that with Avic's I have kept, many seemed to be a little less ravenous about feeding than some other T's. They wouldn't always outright tackle and pulverize their prey but rather take their time and maybe even wait for some privacy. Sure enough though by the next morning the crix would be all gone, or most of them at least.
Anyhow, don't worry about the lack of silk, your T will find it's food for sure.

Atrax
Why repeat good advice?

Gary is right on.

(Yeah, thanks Eric, I'm glad you are around to qualify my advice.)

tarachno

Arachnopeon
yea...

ive got a avic and for the months i have had it i have only seen it catch a cricket once. the reason in my opinion is because they like to hunt undisturbed. but nevertheless if you drop crickets in one way or another your avic will find and eat them if its hungry. :D also my avic dont web either ;)

-travis

ps take my survey on my thread!

Ker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My avic molted almost two weeks ago, and I have kept tossing her crix and she kept ignoring them, prefering to hang out on her web up in the corner of her tank... FINALLY, today, I tossed a handful in and she went for them immeadiately- ate four of the things. When your avic is hungry, she will eat.

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
1 of my a.avic tanks is too big and the crickets tend to hide, and I don't want the female crix laying eggs. So these days I usually clamp the egg-laying needle thingy and let go right in front of the T when I'm feeding him female crix. And avics seem to have a slightly better eyesight than many other terrestrial new worlders... I personally have seen mine stalking resting preys. Even without the "better" eyesight, they sure can sense their prey items anyway. So what are you waiting for? Let the feast begin!