Are P Regalis ' docile " ?

MissyMaguire

Arachnopeon
Yes, I know I can just "google" different information that I need but......sigh....before I do that, since most of what you read "on the intarwebz" is about 60% not true, I wanted to ask you guys first.

I just saw a GORGEOUS short 15 second home video of someone's P Regalis. OMG, I'm Deeeeeaaaaaad LOL <3 :cool:

PLEASE tell me this species are for beginners and are docile. If not, it's totally ok because that just means I won't
be getting that species when the time comes.

So I guess I wanted to see what you guys had to say first.

Thanks

LadyofSpiders

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't say any Poecilotheria are for beginners or categorize them as docile. If you are looking to get into Poecilotheria then regalis is a good one to start with but I don't think that is what you are asking.
Any Poecilotheria are quick, skittish with potent venom. I'm glad I waited before I got into them.

louise f

Arachnoangel
No No NO Pokies are not for beginners. They are fast,skittish and don't hesitate with biting. + they are not docile.
I would recommend you to start with a Euathlus sp red/fire or Brachypelma smith They are both docile.;) and have some nice colors. Welcome to the hobby and good luck with finding a T :)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
A beginner with Poecilotheria is a high risk of bite or escape. That means potential injury to you, the spider, the people and pets you live with, and the hobby. These animals are to be taken seriously. There are hundreds of species in the hobby today, many are beautiful: work your way up in stages and you'll be glad you did.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Like with any species, there are calm individuals aswell and very defensive ones. If you hit a rock with getting the latter, you are in big trouble. Pokies are not for beginners. Fast, skittish spiders who may be reluctant to bite most of the time, but its just that 1 time they go berserk that really packs a punch. If you want an arboreal and you are not completely new, an avic would be fine.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, I know I can just "google" different information that I need but......sigh....before I do that, since most of what you read "on the intarwebz" is about 60% not true, I wanted to ask you guys first.

I just saw a GORGEOUS short 15 second home video of someone's P Regalis. OMG, I'm Deeeeeaaaaaad LOL <3 :cool:

PLEASE tell me this species are for beginners and are docile. If not, it's totally ok because that just means I won't
be getting that species when the time comes.

So I guess I wanted to see what you guys had to say first.

Thanks
No and they have one of the worst venomous of any tarantula period. Look at some of the bite reports here. I can tell you haven't done any research on this genus, otherwise you wouldn't be asking this question.

---------- Post added 05-19-2015 at 06:27 AM ----------

Possible troll thread guys?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
+1 to all the above opinions except the post about pokies being docile while molting...

If your not convinced by there advice check out IheartTs bite report on P.fasciata... P. regalis have similar venom...

There are so many beautiful new world terrestrials available that are beginner friendly that there is no reason to rush and jump on your dream T right of the bat...

i personally would avoid avics also until you keep a few terrestrials and get hands on experience keeping Ts.

awiec

Arachnoprince
While my regalis has never tried to bite me, she has tried to escape several times, that is not something a beginner wants to deal with: agile spiders that pack some nasty venom. No one is going to sugar coat things for you here as we don't want our spiders taken away because some newbie decided not to do any research and get nailed by a potent species. There are tons of tarantulas that are suitable for your skill level and are just as pretty as any pokie, some people have already given you good options.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
No poecilotheria sp. Are for beginners, not metallica, and not regalis.. nor the other species, all are fast tropical aboreals with bad venom.. read the bite reports, poecis are advanced species only, you recently thought that p. Metallica is a beginners species.. note that P. Regalis and P. Metallica are from the SAME genus - poecilotheria, and no poecilotheria species are suited for beginners... like poec54 said, work your way up: start with New World terrestrials like brachypelma, grammastola, aphonopelma, eupalaestrus, euathlus, thrixopelma - these are all great beginner genera with a lot of beautiful species to choose from, get a feel for these then move on to New World tropical terrestrials such as nhandu and ephebopus, if you are comfortable with these and raised these successfully to adulthood move on to New world aboreals such as avicularia, psalmopoeus and tapinauchenius - fast, feisty, defensive and gorgeous genera.. only working your way up will prep you well for Old world Ts such as poecilotheria.. remember any T that is indigenous to countries besides north and south america are considered old world (these includes the genus poecilotheria), no OW T are suitable for beginners, they ALL possess potent venom, they all are fast, skittish and defensive and way more than a new comer can handle.. you don't want to get something and a few weeks later feel scared of it and are too afraid to do maintenance and feeding because of it's skittish, fast and defensive nature, because the spider will suffer and be neglected and it doesn't deserve that..

Also what you need to take into consideration is your experience level, the people living in and around your immediate living area, especially when animals, children and elders are present.. just one bad bite can take down the whole hobby, and with a poeci and beginner combination - bad bites and escapes are very likely to happen...

Last edited:

awiec

Arachnoprince
thrix.jpg

Forgot to post this; this is my WC adult female Thrixopelma cyaneolum, she is a very calm and methodical spider. Note the blue body, red rump and gold stripes and high lights all over her. If you can find one then they are fantastic starter species and the genus is generally a good choice.

Last edited:

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'd spent a year (including rehousing) with a fairly grown Psalmopoeus irminia before I even considered Poecs. And even then I started with slings. Well, it was intended to be ONE sling, but the container contained a second ornata sling. Yay me.

El Consciente

Arachnopeon
A pokie is probably one of the worst genera for a beginner.

They don't have a predilection to bite, but a beginner's error could easily put them in a situation where they would.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
I'd spent a year (including rehousing) with a fairly grown Psalmopoeus irminia before I even considered Poecs. And even then I started with slings. Well, it was intended to be ONE sling, but the container contained a second ornata sling. Yay me.
+1 owning P. Irminia after having some experience with the genera I previously mentioned can prep you well for OWs, I owned P. Irminias more than a year before considering my 1st poeci..

TsunamiSpike

Arachnosquire
Definitely go in stages and stay well away from pokies until you've at least experienced Psalmopoeus. They're a good half way point between avics and pokies. Not gonna lie that my first arboreals will be P. Irminia rather than avics (got two slings arriving friday) but that's only because i personally feel comfortable with the idea of owning them, but I'd never consider pokies until a while down the road.

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A pokie is probably one of the worst genera for a beginner.

They don't have a predilection to bite, but a beginner's error could easily put them in a situation where they would.
Could be worse, could be Pterinochilus, Heteroscodra or Stromatopelma

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Remember too that every t has it's own unique personality. My regalis is a total gentleman but I have seen some not very good mannered ones as well that would put the bite on you if it had its way! If your interested in getting one maybe get a sling so u can learn it's attitude as it grows. But don't rush into it, if u don't feel ready trust your gut. They aren't going anywhere :)

awiec

Arachnoprince
Remember too that every t has it's own unique personality. My regalis is a total gentleman but I have seen some not very good mannered ones as well that would put the bite on you if it had its way! If your interested in getting one maybe get a sling so u can learn it's attitude as it grows. But don't rush into it, if u don't feel ready trust your gut. They aren't going anywhere :)
And what if they get a "bad attitude" one? Now they have to deal with a pissy tarantula when they could have got a good beginner species.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
How can a poeci be advised for a beginner? They are unpredictable wild animals, there's no way in learning how it's behaviour might be when it's an adult, then they end up with a T they're scared of then the T suffers, or someone gets bit.. in the end giving the hobby more of a bad rep or even the possibility of Ts getting banned, and that will affect you too.. this is beyond bad advice..

scott99

Arachnoknight
No No NO Pokies are not for beginners. They are fast,skittish and don't hesitate with biting. + they are not docile.
I would recommend you to start with a Euathlus sp red/fire or Brachypelma smith They are both docile.;) and have some nice colors. Welcome to the hobby and good luck with finding a T :)
These people are the experts. They know what their talking about; So please listen to them.