1st Instar Care

ArborealKing

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, one of my purchases at the BTS last weekend included a first instar sling, what is the best way for me to care for it at the moment? I currently have in a small deli cup, with half of the substrate moistened. The sling seems ot be chilling on the drier side currently, and I am just leaving it to do its thing. I suppose what I am getting at is if there is anything I should be doing differently or whether I should make sure the surface of all the substrate is moist, I suppose slings must be pretty fragile at 1st instar. All my previous slings I have had have been 2nd instar up so just thought it would be worth checking with you experienced folk. 'tis a pricey sling so I want to be as safe as possible. Thanks.

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
Make sure you keep one side somewhat moist at all times. If it goes more than a few days without proper moisture it could be fatal. Learned this one the hard way.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Find it a bit irresponsible that a seller is selling at 1st instar but just keep a side moist and wait for it to molt, they don't really need to eat until 2nd instar anyway. May I ask what species it is?

awiec

Arachnoprince
Thanks for the advice both, I will do that and hope for the best.

It's an H. pulchripes. Would be pretty down if it didn't make it.
All the more reason not to sell 1st instars of them, you'd think you would want your customers to have the best chance of raising them well. But just keep a side moist and when it gets to about 2 inches (5cm?) it can gradually be adjusted to more adult conditions.

cold blood

Staff member
I have my doubts that its actually 1i.

Anyone breeding this species should know without question that its a rare species as well as how and when to actually sell them. Selling them before they even eat would be a shocker.

ArborealKing

Arachnopeon
I have my doubts that its actually 1i.

Anyone breeding this species should know without question that its a rare species as well as how and when to actually sell them. Selling them before they even eat would be a shocker.
This has crossed my mind too and I guess I could be wrong, I mean I have never seen a 1i in person before, buuut it fits the description pretty well. I will try upload some photos of the sling when I have time later.

LadyofSpiders

Arachnopeon
A 1i Is basically a ewl just more spider looking...I would never sell or buy one.... This isn't the first time I have heard of someone buying a 1st Instar and it seems terrible irresponsible to me to be even attempting to sell these. I hope you didn't pay much at all as at that size, the mortality rate is incredibly high. I never sell a sling until it has eaten a couple times...

skippydude

Arachnobaron
You need to moisten ALL of the substrate for first instar slings.

Unless it is pre-molt first instar are pretty much colorless and hairless.

I too doubt your sling is first instar, especially an over priced species like H puchripes. Why on earth would a seller let them go that early

Is it eating?

Wadew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Moist substrate on 1/2 will be fine. With this method the spider will reside on which ever side is needed. When you do decide to feed it pre-kill the offering.

ArborealKing

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys. The little guy molted out into 2nd instar and all seems to be well with him, I'm back into my comfort zone now :)

widowkeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i still don't get what the big deal is with 1st instar how do you all care for sacs? do you let them hatch out with the mom? I did that once and only because I couldn't get to her sac. I will never do that again it was the biggest pain in the ass ever