Tomorrow is going to be fun........................not!!!

SunTiger1

Arachnopeon
Tomorrow is D-day for most of my Old worlds to be rehoused, yay!!
The culprits are:

L. Violaceopes
P. Regalis
H.Maculata

At least I have one New world to cheer me up, a H. Incei:biggrin:

And in a month or two it's my H. Lividum's turn!!!:cry::cry::cry:

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
Sounds like it's going to be a blast! :p

This probably won't be much comfort, cuz, y'know...OW...but at least you don't need to worry about urticating hair. Rehoused a B. boehmei with a mad kicking fetish last night and I think I got hairs up my nose...been sneezing my head off ever since and my face feels like I've been huffing fiberglass insulation. :o_O:

Seriously though, good luck, I hope the rehousings go well. :)

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Good luck on that! When I rehoused my first OW (P. Fasciata 5" female) it actually went a lot smoother than I expected.. :p

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Honestly it's best to go in calm and not dreading it; if all you're concentrating on is what can go wrong, you're going to be jittery and unsure of yourself, thus increasing the likelihood you'll make a mistake. A self-fulfilling prophecy basically. Just make sure you have everything you need on hand (scrunched up towels are my favorite OW rehousing tool--if they get loose, they run into there and hunker down in the folds), be slow and deliberate in your actions and you'll all be fine.

SunTiger1

Arachnopeon
haha thanks everyone, I am going to need luck.
But I am more concerned about my T's than myself, I would rather get bit than one of them escaping or getting hurt.

cold blood

Staff member
Honestly it's best to go in calm and not dreading it; if all you're concentrating on is what can go wrong, you're going to be jittery and unsure of yourself, thus increasing the likelihood you'll make a mistake. A self-fulfilling prophecy basically. Just make sure you have everything you need on hand (scrunched up towels are my favorite OW rehousing tool--if they get loose, they run into there and hunker down in the folds), be slow and deliberate in your actions and you'll all be fine.
+1

I look forward to unpacking, housing and re-housing....I love putting together new enclosures and watching them make it its home.

Just stay calm and don't be in a hurry. Last weekend was like this for me as a bunch of t's were in need of larger enclosures. I re-housed a 4" P. regalis, a 5" P. vitatta, a 6.5" P. ornata, a 4" OBT (who's a typical psychotic OBT), and on the NW end a 4.75" P. nigricolor, 3" B. vagans, 2.5" N. chromatus....Still have a few more to set up for the 5" P. irminia 4" P. striata and the other 3.75" OBT.

Not a single issue, still there were a few times where the adrenal gland gave a squirt or two. All part of the hobby.:smile:

Last edited:

Hellemose

Arachnopeon
Main thing is to keep calm and take your time and you should be fine :)

i have rehoused a fair share of T's NW's and OW's and the worst experience i have had while doing so was with a skittish hair flicking L. parahybana, none of the haplo's, obt's, h. maculatas or pokies i have had has been as incorporative as that hairball.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Bag method.... can't say enough about it. Someone did a long thread years ago here about it, and I use it all the time - pokies, phampos, OBTs, H mac... I have bags in all sizes and swear by the method.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
Bag method.... can't say enough about it. Someone did a long thread years ago here about it, and I use it all the time - pokies, phampos, OBTs, H mac... I have bags in all sizes and swear by the method.
In case you can't find the thread, the bag method is basically just putting a net over a tank so the spider can't escape. It's probably the safest method available.

windscorpions1

Arachnoknight
In case you can't find the thread, the bag method is basically just putting a net over a tank so the spider can't escape. It's probably the safest method available.
don't know about safest....a t's fangs could penetrate a bag pretty easily. I always vote for the get it in a catch cup and get it in the new enclosure a lot simpler than all these other ways people have came up with.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
don't know about safest....a t's fangs could penetrate a bag pretty easily. I always vote for the get it in a catch cup and get it in the new enclosure a lot simpler than all these other ways people have came up with.
Bag Method is better IMO. I've never had to worry about the tarantula biting through the bag.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
Bag Method is better IMO. I've never had to worry about the tarantula biting through the bag.
Even with the chance of a T biting through the bag, it's still safer (IMO) than the catch cup method. However, I can see how that method would be better with different people. I've had too many times of a T running up my paintbrush to use the catch-cup method again (besides for slings). :mask:

Last edited:

El Consciente

Arachnopeon
That may not always be the best option if you're dealing with a T that's a lot faster than you.

P. irminias and catch cups - as I've found the hard way - isn't the most foolproof method of capture...

windscorpions1

Arachnoknight
That may not always be the best option if you're dealing with a T that's a lot faster than you.

P. irminias and catch cups - as I've found the hard way - isn't the most foolproof method of capture...
Most of the species I'd like to keep in the future are on the slower end of the spectrum. So shouldn't be to much a problem the only fast species I can think of I'd like is an Ephebopus uatuman and maybe one or two birdeaters I'll probably never touch arboreals (just not many of them that really appeal to me).

DVMT

Arachnosquire
I use the "up and over" method and I've never had a problem. I've rehoused T. gigas (speed), and many pokies, OBT's, calceatum, and maculata and it's been a lucky charm method for me for 4 years now. I get the old enclosure with the T inside and the new one out on my carpeted living room floor with big catch containers all around. I remove the lids and put them right next to each other. I then use a long paint brush to coerce the T up the adjoining wall and into the new enclosure. Works for me every time. Most of all I always remain calm even if someone decides they want to scurry off.