Enclusure size for a Theraposa blondi/stirmi.

magneto

Arachnoknight
Hi. I have a vacant enclosure i plan to use for a new tarantula. The enclosure is 24" long x 15" wide x 12" tall or 60 cm x 40 cm x 30 cm. The front of it limits the substrate level to 4 inches but it can increase inwards to 6-7 inches.

I know there are hundeds of examples of tank size for this T, but all of them just mentions how many gallons it holds. Not the measurements. And I know the substrate level is a bit low for this T, but is it TO low or whithin acceptable bounds?

Thanks for any and all answers :)

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi. I have a vacant enclosure i plan to use for a new tarantula. The enclosure is 24" long x 15" wide x 12" tall or 60 cm x 40 cm x 30 cm. The front of it limits the substrate level to 4 inches but it can increase inwards to 6-7 inches.

I know there are hundeds of examples of tank size for this T, but all of them just mentions how many gallons it holds. Not the measurements. And I know the substrate level is a bit low for this T, but is it TO low or whithin acceptable bounds?

Thanks for any and all answers :)
That enclosure size is fine (for an adult). Its the same height and length as a 15 gallon aquarium, but even wider. Four inches of substrate is fine...that leaves 8 inches of space between the top of the substrate and the top of the enclosure, which is less than the legspan of an adult Theraphosa.

magneto

Arachnoknight
Thank you for the answers. :)
I ended up with a Phormictopus cancerides instead. So now the enclosure will definatly be big enough since they only reach about 9 inches.

Anybody with any experience with these here? I expect to recive it next friday so I have plenty of time to set up the requirements. Is it kept similarly to a A. geniculata?

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
Thank you for the answers. :)
I ended up with a Phormictopus cancerides instead. So now the enclosure will definatly be big enough since they only reach about 9 inches.

Anybody with any experience with these here? I expect to recive it next friday so I have plenty of time to set up the requirements. Is it kept similarly to a A. geniculata?
Same as a geniculata, but more defensive.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
What about the lid? It can't be screen, they can chew right thru that.

magneto

Arachnoknight
What about the lid? It can't be screen, they can chew right thru that.
It has no lid. It only open's in the front. The bottom, top and sides is 18mm thick wood with plastic sheets on the inside. The vents on each side are 2mm thick steel plates with airholes in them.

If the bugger can chew through that it has bloody well earned it's freedom! :biggrin:
2015-05-22 17.32.24.jpg

magneto

Arachnoknight
Might want to get a lot more ventilation in there. Mold can screw up the best of tanks pretty fast.
It does not show very well on the picture but there is a gap about a centimetre wide at the top of each door. That plus the vents should be enough enough shouldn't it? If not, do you think it would be sufficient to drill a couple of rows of holes in the doors. If I have to I'll make larger vents on the sides, but I would rather not disturb the geniculata currently settling in in the bottom one.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Nice "selfie"....I'd lose the mustache...lol (J/K)

Ventilation looks good.;)

magneto

Arachnoknight
Nice "selfie"....I'd lose the mustache...lol (J/K)

Ventilation looks good.;)
Thanks. :) I noticed the selfie right after i uploaded it. :biggrin:
Nah man, i can't lose the mustache. With a full beard and no mustache i'd look like an old sailor. :biggrin:

cold blood

Staff member
Thanks. :) I noticed the selfie right after i uploaded it. :biggrin:
Nah man, i can't lose the mustache. With a full beard and no mustache i'd look like an old sailor. :biggrin:
old sailors are cool though:laugh:

I was only kidding anyway...hehe.