Poecilotheria regalis disappeared

gobey

Arachnoknight
I have 2 awesome 1.5" P. regalis slings.

One is a little bigger than the other and is shy. I was concerned it wasn't eating, but it seems to be now and appears fine. Phew. Needs a rehouse soon.

But my other one was very keen to go on display. And was eating fine.

But since I've moved. I haven't seen it. And I just noticed 2 decomposing crickets at the bottom of the cork bark in the deli container. (which would be an absolute pain to remove without moving his hide)

Now twice before I had dug up a much smaller H. mac sling to check on it. Twice it was fine. I vowed to never worry like that again.

This pokie is 3x the size. The last thing I really want to do is dig around for a spooked Poecilotheria. But dead crickets spook me. I'd hate to think he was molting in his hide and I dropped a cricket in.

Thoughts?

Also for saving space on threads. I have a 4ish inch maculata that just molted about 2 weeks ago. She still shows no interest in eating. Is that normal? I've never had a T not want a meal after a molt. I only got her maybe a month or so ago. She was already pre molt fasting then.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
That happens. Sometimes the spider is hiding, sometimes it's died. Could have been a pre/post molt problem. Dead, uneaten crickets isn't a good sign, and I think it's worth looking through the cage to see what's going on. Poecs are out when they're hungry.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Take out the crickets and dig it out IMO, that's what I would have done.. I think uneaten dead crickets is something to worry about.. just be careful though, hope everything turns out fine and that your poeci is okay..

---------- Post added 05-22-2015 at 04:51 PM ----------

Oh and regarding the H. Mac I think two weeks not eating after a molt is pretty normal, 4" is kinda big and they take longer to get back into hunting spirit after a molt when that big.. just keep offering food (if hardened properly) and make sure she has a waterbowl in her enclosure...

Last edited:

gobey

Arachnoknight
Thanks gents. Looks like I have an interesting task today.

gobey

Arachnoknight
I'm readying tongs and catch cups now.

This wasn't exactly how I wanted to spend my afternoon lol.

I'd rather find out for sure though.

I think I may just rehouse both of them. They're due for taller containers. The bigger one definitely.

To leave another question while I look for my little guy.

If I have a T like these (that hide often with intricate Burrows) How exactly am I to tell if it's in pre molt and when to stop feeding?

These 2 pokies are pretty brown almost all the time coloration wise. I figured this might just mean I have boys. I still haven't quite nailed spotting OW pre molt as well as NW.

These dead crickets took a while to notice. They are wedged under the cork and between it and his mossy burrow.

I was under the impression pokies ate until molting usually too.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Well when they get very plump, and you'll notice the underside of the abdomen will get shiny (IME) all my OW slings will start blocking off their burrows when going into pre-molt that's when I refrain from feeding, also I never drop a cricket directly into the burrows of my slings, I also like to offer my slings pre-killed rather than live, I just completely remove the heads of small crickets, just easier, and place them at the mouth of the burrow, where it can be easily retrieved and you'll be able to monitor if your sling ate or not

gobey

Arachnoknight
Well when they get very plump, and you'll notice the underside of the abdomen will get shiny (IME) all my OW slings will start blocking off their burrows when going into pre-molt that's when I refrain from feeding, also I never drop a cricket directly into the burrows of my slings, I also like to offer my slings pre-killed rather than live, I just completely remove the heads of small crickets, just easier, and place them at the mouth of the burrow, where it can be easily retrieved and you'll be able to monitor if your sling ate or not
Hmmm... Well they're both always pretty plump. As for the abdomen I couldn't tell you a difference. The burrows aren't blocked. And I also never drop crickets anywhere I can't see them. But they make their way into the Ts burrow.

I just had issues with my slings not eating pre killed stuff.

I have a nice new enclosure set up.

Here goes.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
When Poecs are hungry, they're out, especially at night. They'll usually grab prey immediately (unlike some of the other Asian arboreals). As they fatten up, slow down on the amount and frequency of feedings. If in doubt, give them a smaller-sized cricket that's had it's large rear legs popped off. They're much less likely to intimidate or injure a spider that way.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Well my first Poecilotheria rehouse went well! Took about 15 minutes.

He was alive and well. Hiding on the cork camouflaged well.

There was a live cricket in the enclosure too when I dug him up. So I'm resting on feedings.

I'm leaving him in the vial for now. He didn't want to get in there. He ended up bolting up the bathtub after a lot of hiding and avoiding the vial. I just waited until he was done running and finally caught him. Idk why people rush to get them out when rehousing like this. He's clearly stressed. I'd rather let him chill and come out on his own and then remove the vial later.

This gives me some confidence about 2 more OW rehouse I need to do. My bigger regalis needs a taller cleaner home. And I'd like to put my C. marshalli in something I can see it better in.

I've rehoused a nasty OBT before. But other than that my housing of OW Ts has just been unpacking and housing. Which I think is a bit easier than rehousings.

I'm sure this will go much differently when this guy is 3", 5", 7"!!!

He was very shy about it. Never got too defensive. Although he seemed to get cranky the first time the vial went over him.

Great experience though as a keeper. :)

Anyways here's Apu

Attachments

gobey

Arachnoknight
Just removed the vial. He's halfway between the bottom of the cork and a small moss patch with his bum sticking out.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
I'm glad he's okay :) sometimes these critters can make you stress like heck, happened a lot to me before too hehe

gobey

Arachnoknight
I'm glad he's okay :) sometimes these critters can make you stress like heck, happened a lot to me before too hehe
That is the one that disappeared yes.

And I'm breathing a sigh of relief. I love my tarantulas. But boy they know how to stress you out sometimes.

gobey

Arachnoknight
And he appears to be nearing a molt, very fat hehe
Ok good. It's been a while since either of them molted. And they used to molt like they were doing it for fun. Maybe this is why he has decided crickets aren't his thing right now.

cold blood

Staff member
To leave another question while I look for my little guy.

If I have a T like these (that hide often with intricate Burrows) How exactly am I to tell if it's in pre molt and when to stop feeding?
Its as simple as basic record-keeping. If you don't already, keep track of all feedings, molts and the number of days between molts. After a while predicting an impending molt is generally easy. I just stop feeding when records indicate impending molt. I'm almost always right because my guesses are educated ones. It shouldn't take Nostradamus to predict a molt.;)