Need advice to give to someone who wants Ts, but never owned so much as a hamster...

Methal

Arachnosquire
And this does not bother me one bit =)

It does however bother me greatly to watch people handle their Ts....I still argue our skin oil isn't the best thing for them....Its even worse when you see videos of people doing just that and saying that the T loves to be handled, or that it is good for them.

I have 12 Ts and every single one of them are either cranky as all heck, or unpredictably skittish.

1 LP.
2 OBTs
1 Curlie hair
1 GBB
1 M balfouri.
2 Pocies Regalis, and Miranda.
1 togo starburst (too small to do anything with at 1inch)
1 N chromatus (also less than 1 inch. )
1 A avic
1 RCF Rosie.

Dunno how you guys feel but I love to keep them, watch them do their things, eat, web, clean and so forth....Dont feel any need to pick em up and stress them all out for some stupid selfish reason...

Last edited:

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
You're going to have a bad time rehousing your Old World spiders (OBT, Togo, Pokies, M.balfouri) when time comes. I'd recommend getting rid of them.

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
You're going to have a bad time rehousing your Old World spiders (OBT, Togo, Pokies, M.balfouri) when time comes. I'd recommend getting rid of them.
...:confused:

What's your justification for making this statement? At no point has the OP mentioned that they're not experienced or that they are intimidated by their spiders. I'm all for dissuading new keepers from getting OW species, but that's not what's happening here so far as I can tell. :o_O: The way I'm reading the post is, the OP has an acquaintance that wants to get into the hobby but has never kept pets before and the OP would like some suggestions on advice to give them.

OP, cover the basics like preventing fall-related injuries, what molting looks like, why handling is a bad idea, common problems and what to do about them, how often to feed, all that important stuff, then direct them here to do further research. I was in a similar situation a while back and maintain regular contact with the person I was helping. You're not going to be able to cover everything in one communication (at least not without turning an e-mail into a novella), but if you start them off with a good foundation and then send them here, you should be able to be confident that the potential hobbyist is starting off on the right foot. :)

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
...:confused:

What's your justification for making this statement? At no point has the OP mentioned that they're not experienced or that they are intimidated by their spiders. I'm all for dissuading new keepers from getting OW species, but that's not what's happening here so far as I can tell. :o_O: The way I'm reading the post is, the OP has an acquaintance that wants to get into the hobby but has never kept pets before and the OP would like some suggestions on advice to give them.

OP, cover the basics like preventing fall-related injuries, what molting looks like, why handling is a bad idea, common problems and what to do about them, how often to feed, all that important stuff, then direct them here to do further research. I was in a similar situation a while back and maintain regular contact with the person I was helping. You're not going to be able to cover everything in one communication (at least not without turning an e-mail into a novella), but if you start them off with a good foundation and then send them here, you should be able to be confident that the potential hobbyist is starting off on the right foot. :)
I guess I could be wrong. I was reading it as if he was the one just getting into the hobby. If I'm wrong than the OP has a good choice of Ts.

Methal

Arachnosquire
I guess I could be wrong. I was reading it as if he was the one just getting into the hobby. If I'm wrong than the OP has a good choice of Ts.
Ok that isodd. The title is not even one I wrote. It should read "I do not have a single T in my collection that I can handle."

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
And this does not bother me one bit =)

It does however bother me greatly to watch people handle their Ts....I still argue our skin oil isn't the best thing for them....Its even worse when you see videos of people doing just that and saying that the T loves to be handled, or that it is good for them.

I have 12 Ts and every single one of them are either cranky as all heck, or unpredictably skittish.

1 LP.
2 OBTs
1 Curlie hair
1 GBB
1 M balfouri.
2 Pocies Regalis, and Miranda.
1 togo starburst (too small to do anything with at 1inch)
1 N chromatus (also less than 1 inch. )
1 A avic
1 RCF Rosie.

Dunno how you guys feel but I love to keep them, watch them do their things, eat, web, clean and so forth....Dont feel any need to pick em up and stress them all out for some stupid selfish reason...
That's the right way of doing things. "Hands Off" policy. Those who handle T's are nothing but a bunch of voyeuristic idiots (except for those who need to do that for go the extra mile if the T is sick etc)
There's only one advice for someone new, but fascinated, by the T's world. To start with the "docile" ones.
Even if the only ONE thing that i, after 15 years, knows for sure when it comes to T's and is that ALL of them are untamed, primitive, unpredictable lovely creatures.
So respect, common sense, caution are always rule N.1, even for a, not so the most "docile" of all, Grammostola rosea.
And everything will be fine.

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
Ok that isodd. The title is not even one I wrote. It should read "I do not have a single T in my collection that I can handle."
Okay, I was totally misunderstanding the point of this thread. :eek: That's a fail on my part.

Sorry Arachnomaniac19. :( I think I called you out unnecessarily.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
Okay, I was totally misunderstanding the point of this thread. :eek: That's a fail on my part.

Sorry Arachnomaniac19. :( I think I called you out unnecessarily.
Doesn't really matter. If anybody thinks I'm (or anyone else for the matter) is incorrect, it's important to the hobby for someone to point it out.