Looking for basic Chilobrachys species information.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
I've recently gotten a few different species of this genus and I'm in love! I'm just wondering, what are the largest and smallest species of this genus, and should I keep them like Haplopelmas (how I currently keep them) or with less substrate and just let them web it all up (I've seen different answers to this question)?

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I keep all my Asian terrestrials the same: moist substrate, moderate cross ventilation, water bowl. I've got 5 species of Chilobrachys, care and behavior is pretty much the same. They like to dig and spin. They can move fast, so keep lids close by.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Fast is an understatement - they're like the usual Asian burrower: Prone to bolting or getting very annoyed in the blink of an eye. :D

That aside, I believe C. sp. "Kaeng Krachan" or huahini are the biggest of the genus as of currently. There's rumors the first can reach 10" legspan, but I personally doubt that very much. It's more around 8-9 from what I heard over here. C. huahini seems to be on the 6-8" mark according to other keepers, but I've yet to see one bigger than 6". Take it with a grain of salt hence.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Fast is an understatement - they're like the usual Asian burrower: Prone to bolting or getting very annoyed in the blink of an eye. :D

That aside, I believe C. sp. "Kaeng Krachan" or huahini are the biggest of the genus as of currently. There's rumors the first can reach 10" legspan, but I personally doubt that very much. It's more around 8-9 from what I heard over here. C. huahini seems to be on the 6-8" mark according to other keepers, but I've yet to see one bigger than 6". Take it with a grain of salt hence.

I'm under the impression guangxiensis gets bigger than huahini, and yes, from what I've seen huahini is a 6" spider. I'm very skeptical of claims of 9" and 10" spiders. Those appear to be used more for marketing than by people actually working with adults of those species.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'm under the impression guangxiensis gets bigger than huahini, and yes, from what I've seen huahini is a 6" spider. I'm very skeptical of claims of 9" and 10" spiders. Those appear to be used more for marketing than by people actually working with adults of those species.
You're right - I forgot about guangxiensis, although Kaeng Krachan is called the "giant" of the genus over here. And I'm as sceptical of such claims as you are - unless I see the T stretched out next to a ruler (not photoshopped).