Feeding behavior

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
I have sometimes seen The Luggage (my GBB sling) put her cricket down mid-meal, drop some silk on it, then pick it back up and resume eating. I had occasionally seen my past spiders do something similar, but not nearly as often as she does. Any theories on why they do that?

PRE66 6TART

Arachnopeon
My T does it too. At first I figured it was just a shared instinct with other types of spiders that wrap their prey up in silk before they eat it. But she doesn't always do it, and I've noticed it often goes along with her little happy dance she occasionally does where she spins around on her tippy toes and puts silk down after she catches something, which I don't understand either, but it seems like it might be part of that whole thing, whatever that is.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Yep, pretty normal, like CB said, to hold the prey item together.. some of my Ts will kill a feeder, instantly drop it and start webbing al over it and pick it up again :)

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
Yep, pretty normal, like CB said, to hold the prey item together.. some of my Ts will kill a feeder, instantly drop it and start webbing al over it and pick it up again :)
My P. cambridgei slings are very fond of doing this, along with another interesting behavior: Once they catch their crickets, they'll drag them down into their web palaces, drop their crickets, web them up thoroughly, then they will crawl up to the mouths of their web palaces and seal off the openings. Only after they have completed that little ritual will they resume eating. It would appear that they have perfected the art of not being interrupted during a meal. :biggrin: :laugh:

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
My P. cambridgei slings are very fond of doing this, along with another interesting behavior: Once they catch their crickets, they'll drag them down into their web palaces, drop their crickets, web them up thoroughly, then they will crawl up to the mouths of their web palaces and seal off the openings. Only after they have completed that little ritual will they resume eating. It would appear that they have perfected the art of not being interrupted during a meal. :biggrin: :laugh:
One too many calls from a telemarketer, I guess! :laugh:

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I always figured it just helped hold the food and then bolus together.
This has been my thought too. Also to add to the stories of tarantula feeding behavior. Many of the aggressive feeding tarantulas I have had over the years have gone a killing spree killing all of the crickets in the cage, piled them up, webbed the pile together, than began feeding. Periodically during feeding, they stopped to re-web the mass together. I still have an immature female Brachypelma vagans that does this. It has about a 3 inch legspan and will run around and kill the 6 crickets I provide it, bundle them together, then feed. My adult female Theraphosa stirmi with a 9 inch legspan will do the same thing with about 12 crickets put into it's cage.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
An additional benefit to all of this - it keeps the ants away. Tarantulas can't kills ants any more than you can kill bacteria with your bare hands. By keeping their scraps off the ground, they keep the ants away. Especially useful when it can often take hours to finish a single meal.

petkokc

Arachnosquire
Apparently silk is also natural antibiotic so they could be also preserving it.

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I always figured it just helped hold the food and then bolus together.
That's a large part of it. The other is that if the prey revives, it's too tangled up and restrained to escape. Except for slings and young juveniles, I give my spiders multiple crickets. In their rush to catch them all, some aren't as disabled mechanically and chemically as others. Wrapping them in a silk net ensures that the spider keeps all of them. Keeping prey in a compact ball also keeps it off the ground, and makes ants less likely to discover it and take possession (the hyenas of the insect world).