lingi 021.jpg
The mating
lingi 022.jpg
:cry: The male got eaten.
But at least he got to mate 2 females 2 times each.:happy:

I hope that female will come with a nice sac. :tongue:

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
Some males just don't stand a chance, hopefully your female produces a sac if there was good insertions.

Jose
+1. Stuff like this is what makes me afraid to get involved in breeding loans. I wouldn't mind sending my own males out so much (it'd suck if they got munched without producing offspring, but I could deal); however, if I were the one doing the breeding and a borrowed male got eaten, the sense of guilt would not be easily overcome.

Hope you get a good sac out of it, Louise - Ceratogyrus is a neat genus, and that female's a beauty! :)

louise f

Arachnoangel
Yes there was some good insections. ;) he managed to mate her 2 times,
unfortunally he did not make it outside her enclosure the second time. But that happens.

Yes i hope she will make a good sac. :)

---------- Post added 05-24-2015 at 07:04 PM ----------

+1. Stuff like this is what makes me afraid to get involved in breeding loans. I wouldn't mind sending my own males out so much (it'd suck if they got munched without producing offspring, but I could deal); however, if I were the one doing the breeding and a borrowed male got eaten, the sense of guilt would not be easily overcome.

Hope you get a good sac out of it, Louise - Ceratogyrus is a neat genus, and that female's a beauty! :)
I have mated many Tarantulas and saw a lot of males get eaten. I hate when it happens, but i am allways saying to myself that the female needs the meal for her egg production.
And the male does not live long anyway when matured, so if the female get a good sac, then he was going for a good cause. :)

Thanks. Indeed i love their horn :) it is charming. Yes she is a dolly ;)

Issehalsey

Arachnopeon
If I may ask, how large was your mature male? I have a male who just matured out on October 1st. I just noticed the emboli this morning... I believe he's only around 2.5". He has yet to fully emerge, but that sounds a tad small to me. What is the average size this species matures around? I know different individuals mature at different times, but this is just crazy to me, lol. This was my first C darlingi also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If I may ask, how large was your mature male? I have a male who just matured out on October 1st. I just noticed the emboli this morning... I believe he's only around 2.5". He has yet to fully emerge, but that sounds a tad small to me. What is the average size this species matures around? I know different individuals mature at different times, but this is just crazy to me, lol. This was my first C darlingi also.

My MM is probably around 5 inches, and my (suspected) penultimate male is ~3 inches, I would say. That's small, but not impossible.

Issehalsey

Arachnopeon
My MM is probably around 5 inches, and my (suspected) penultimate male is ~3 inches, I would say. That's small, but not impossible.
Ah, I wonder what my course of action would be now. What's the probability of him standing up to a mature female lol

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ah, I wonder what my course of action would be now. What's the probability of him standing up to a mature female lol

It really depends on the female; some show less aggression than others. I would try regardless of his chances, but thats just me.

awiec

Arachnoprince

You could find a smaller mature female to send him to, I know my girl is not that big and she's 4 years old

Issehalsey

Arachnopeon
It really depends on the female; some show less aggression than others. I would try regardless of his chances, but thats just me.
Ah yes, I've experienced that with other species I've mated. The possible size difference is just putting it off for me. I will still try.

You could find a smaller mature female to send him to, I know my girl is not that big and she's 4 years old
I will speak to my husband and see what he wants to do. It was not hard at all to find a trade for my E campestratus MM, so I'm sure I can find something for this guy.

What makes this ironic to me is I've named this little guy Hagrid, after the giant in Harry Potter. Lol

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Stuff like this is what makes me afraid to get involved in breeding loans. I wouldn't mind sending my own males out so much (it'd suck if they got munched without producing offspring, but I could deal); however, if I were the one doing the breeding and a borrowed male got eaten, the sense of guilt would not be easily overcome.

I've sent out dozens of males on loan, most have died not on the first attempt, but on 2nd and 3rd attempts with the same female. If it happens with a male you've received on loan, there's no point in losing sleep over it, as long as you were responsible and didn't leave the male in unsupervised or kept re-pairing them. Males have a short life span, they'd rather die after mating, than to die a virgin.

cold blood

Staff member
They do surprisingly well much of the time.

Baboon males can mature at ridiculously small sizes. I had a male marshalli mature at about 3". He's done the deed just fine with a big female.

I recently had a pair of A. ezendami males mature at about 2-2.25". They were tiny little things. I sent one to mate and the person's female was huge. He expressed concern because of its size, yet he had no trouble getting the job done. Even made it back out to breed again.

Issehalsey

Arachnopeon
They do surprisingly well much of the time.

Baboon males can mature at ridiculously small sizes. I had a male marshalli mature at about 3". He's done the deed just fine with a big female.

I recently had a pair of A. ezendami males mature at about 2-2.25". They were tiny little things. I sent one to mate and the person's female was huge. He expressed concern because of its size, yet he had no trouble getting the job done. Even made it back out to breed again.
Ok sweet. I didn't know if I should be worried or not. Thank you!

louise f

Arachnoangel
Hey. I dont know how large he was. but i can tell that he was smaller than other males of the same species i had. :) the males offen do well after mating up with the female.

So get going ;) good luck. Well my female made a sac, and i got around 40 babies. :) So the male did not die in vain.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Gahhh. *cring* the photo will now haunt my dreams for another few weeks...

Anywho.. Id never worry about a male being too small.. I tried to find the vid.. But theres a/a few baboon where males are like 1-2" and fms are 5-6 (someone point me in the right direction on name?) and the boys do just fine getting the job done

cold blood

Staff member
Gahhh. *cring* the photo will now haunt my dreams for another few weeks...

Anywho.. Id never worry about a male being too small.. I tried to find the vid.. But theres a/a few baboon where males are like 1-2" and fms are 5-6 (someone point me in the right direction on name?) and the boys do just fine getting the job done
A. ezendami and especially junodi...here's an example of junodi

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjX_jdc856A