Getting first avic., have some questions...

ciColors

Arachnopeon
In the process of choosing my 3rd T, and this time I want to get a tree spider. I will be getting a sling as I don't have a lot of money right now.
The enclosure I will be using is a 4x4x5 inch cube, pictured below. I used cyanoacrylate to glue the bark to the back, is that going to be toxic to tarantulas? The glue I used is the same stuff I use my reef aquariums: http://www.marinedepot.com/Two_Litt...oxy_-Two_Little_Fishies-TL1633-FIMTEP-vi.html

I have a few questions before I get another spider though.

Normal room temp. for me is like 70-75F, 80-85F during the summer, and 60F and maybe a little colder during the winter. Is this going to be a problem for something like avicularia purpurea? My OBT and chaco did fine but idk about tropical species.

Would you add anything to the enclosure, or is it too big for a 1/2" sling?

Enough ventilation? There are 7 holes on 5 sides of the cube. Read all about the avic dehydration problem but it's always nice to have someone take a second look.

When the tarantula gets bigger, I want to keep live plants in with it. Can you recommend any good plant species? I hear bromeliads are a good choice for avics?

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
The holes might be too big for a sling. Your temps should be fine. Just don't keep them below 60F for too long. The enclosure and ventilation look good (besides the hole size). Bromeliads are good. I'm not sure if pothos emits a toxic pheromone, but if not I'd recommend it.

cold blood

Staff member
I would add more plant and a water dish.

As long as the sling cant fit through those holes, ventilation looks good.

With that rigid top, I would do a flippidy flop with the enclosure so the lid is at the bottom so you're not destroying its webbing every time you feed or do maintenance

I wouldn't keep an avic any cooler than 68...I wouldn't keep an avic sling any cooler than 70. I think 60 is too cool, especially for a sling. A small space heater in the room would probably do the trick in winter.

ciColors

Arachnopeon
may have ruined the plastic with glue, also don't see how i can situate this plastic cube in a way that opening it doesn't let dirt out or disturb the webbing.

but cheap plastic containers are easy to get, so no problem.

the thing with the heater is that my room is quite small and i hate the heat, any other way to keep temp. up?

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
may have ruined the plastic with glue, also don't see how i can situate this plastic cube in a way that opening it doesn't let dirt out or disturb the webbing.

but cheap plastic containers are easy to get, so no problem.

the thing with the heater is that my room is quite small and i hate the heat, any other way to keep temp. up?

That Amac cube would be great for a terrestrial, try one of this style in upside down mode for the Avic slings. Also a hot glue gun will work better to attach the items you want for decorations.
I used a small hole in the top to screw the small piece of cork bark to the inside and hot glued the silk plant to the bark covering the glue with dry moss while still hot... Hope this helps

DVMT

Arachnosquire
I use low wattage reptile heat cord. You just have to be careful with it. I keep it at least 4" away from most enclosures, and the ones that come closer have way deeper sub. I have my T's in a cabinet with the heat cord aligned along the back of the cabinet. It only gets warm, never hot. For me, it helps a ton during the winter.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
If you lived or visited WA you'd know that's just a light mist...........took photo right after first set them up slings went in 3 days later.

ciColors

Arachnopeon
That Amac cube would be great for a terrestrial, try one of this style in upside down mode for the Avic slings. Also a hot glue gun will work better to attach the items you want for decorations.
I used a small hole in the top to screw the small piece of cork bark to the inside and hot glued the silk plant to the bark covering the glue with dry moss while still hot... Hope this helps
How do those open up? It looks like you'd have to disturb the whole enclosure to feed.

Also, where do these plastic containers come from?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
That Amac cube would be great for a terrestrial, try one of this style in upside down mode for the Avic slings. Also a hot glue gun will work better to attach the items you want for decorations
From what I can see, that's not much ventilation, and certainly not enough for arboreals. I don't see water bowls either, and that puts a lot of reliance on misting, which can be a fine line between too moist and too dry. From what I can tell, the way those cages are, I'd never use them for Avics unless they have much better cross ventilation.

A drawback with cages that have short bottoms and large tops is that prey can easily run out when you open them up. I use 16 oz deli cups for my Avic slings. I lift up part of the lid, toss in several small crickets, and close it. Water bowls are filled with a spray bottle set on a fine single line of water. The slings stay up in their silk tubes and come down and grab a cricket or two when they're hungry. They seal up the tube when they're premolt, so any crickets left inside can't get close to them.

Another drawback to short bottom cages is that for most species, the spider itself can easily run out of the cage. A Poec or Psalmo would be out in second, and running around the room.

Those kind of cages look nice, but they're not all that practical to work with. While there's a strong visual appeal, many people would have difficulties with that cage design, and for some, they're Avic death traps.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
From what I can see, that's not much ventilation, and certainly not enough for arboreals. I don't see water bowls either, and that puts a lot of reliance on misting, which can be a fine line between too moist and too dry. From what I can tell, the way those cages are, I'd never use them for Avics unless they have much better cross ventilation.

A drawback with cages that have short bottoms and large tops is that prey can easily run out when you open them up. I use 16 oz deli cups for my Avic slings. I lift up part of the lid, toss in several small crickets, and close it. Water bowls are filled with a spray bottle set on a fine single line of water. The slings stay up in their silk tubes and come down and grab a cricket or two when they're hungry. They seal up the tube when they're premolt, so any crickets left inside can't get close to them.

Another drawback to short bottom cages is that for most species, the spider itself can easily run out of the cage. A Poec or Psalmo would be out in second, and running around the room.

Those kind of cages look nice, but they're not all that practical to work with. While there's a strong visual appeal, many people would have difficulties with that cage design, and for some, they're Avic death traps.

They are well ventilated, 10 1/8 holes in all on a 2 5/16 inc sq by 4 3/16 box. They look wet in the pic due to me taking the shot seconds after set up and misting. No water bowls yet, I hadn't put slings in at that time.
My Poec and Psalmo are indeed in diff containers due to them being semi arboreal/burrowers, although any spider that fast can be out of the enclosure no mater which plane the opening is on.
Personally I would rather deal with keeping the prey in than partially destroying my Avics web home every time I access the enclosure. these are just for my Avic slings who will get converted 2.5 to 5 gal tank on end when the time comes.

DVMT

Arachnosquire
They are well ventilated, 10 1/8 holes in all on a 2 5/16 inc sq by 4 3/16 box. They look wet in the pic due to me taking the shot seconds after set up and misting. No water bowls yet, I hadn't put slings in at that time.
My Poec and Psalmo are indeed in diff containers due to them being semi arboreal/burrowers, although any spider that fast can be out of the enclosure no mater which plane the opening is on.
Personally I would rather deal with keeping the prey in than partially destroying my Avics web home every time I access the enclosure. these are just for my Avic slings who will get converted 2.5 to 5 gal tank on end when the time comes.
If you are talking about glass tanks, unless you modify them for cross ventilation, they arent' usually a good choice for avics. I buy tall acrylic food containers and drill em out front and back. They are typically sized 6"x6"x18"

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
How do those open up? It looks like you'd have to disturb the whole enclosure to feed.

Also, where do these plastic containers come from?
The Amac boxes can be purchased at Tap plastics or The Container store, online or in the stores, The upper half holds all the decoration/anchor points for the Avic slings while the bottom only holds the substrate and water dish

---------- Post added 05-25-2015 at 08:24 AM ----------

If you are talking about glass tanks, unless you modify them for cross ventilation, they arent' usually a good choice for avics. I buy tall acrylic food containers and drill em out front and back. They are typically sized 6"x6"x18"
Not to thread jack but could you post/pm me a shot of the containers??

DVMT

Arachnosquire

This isn't an Avicularia, but I keep my Psalmopeous the same way. I also like to elevate the water dish using a piece of flat bark and hot glue. Keeps the crickets out and makes watering and maintenance easier.

EDIT- This enclosure was $20 and measures 5.5"x5.5"x12". I also like the lids on these because removing them doesn't disturb the T's too much.

---------- Post added 05-25-2015 at 11:45 AM ----------

And this 16oz deli is what I keep virtually all of my slings in.

EDIT - You can't see it, but the rows of holes are at different heights to promote better air flow since heat rises. No holes in the lid to keep in the micro climate and retain some humidity.

Last edited:

DVMT

Arachnosquire
We got them from Bed, Bath and Beyond, but other places that sell kitchen stuff have them, too. The brand we get is oxo. And it was my mistake there, these are 12" tall, still plenty tall enough IMO.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
We got them from Bed, Bath and Beyond, but other places that sell kitchen stuff have them, too. The brand we get is oxo. And it was my mistake there, these are 12" tall, still plenty tall enough IMO.
Thanks for the info on these. I've seen those suction tops and wondered how well they work after being drilled, meaning how much they disturb Ts

ciColors

Arachnopeon
got the avic today, it's a versicolor, and it is a tiny 1/2" sling right now :)

the container it is in is a small deli cup with vermiculite and some other stuff, with 6 small holes around the sides.

is it too early to move it into a drier container? there are small bits of moisture on the sides.