Fluffy camel spiders

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't know the scientific name for these but man do I want one! Anyone know where to find these for sale? Please share important care tips too please! Thanks Guys!!

Chillilisous

Arachnopeon
I've heard their life expectancy in captivity is usually 2-6 months? Not exactly sure why though.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Awe!! That's so short :-( one website said they live a year? Perhaps they were referring do a different kind of camel spider?

Chillilisous

Arachnopeon
Tarantulaaddict on youtube had two he did some videos about that I would recommend. Two of his lived a few months, the other a year or so.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Tarantulaaddict on youtube had two he did some videos about that I would recommend. Two of his lived a few months, the other a year or so.
I saw those videos, they are what sparked my interest!

---------- Post added 05-25-2015 at 08:05 PM ----------

Quite a massive thread! But really interesting! Thx for the tip.

Does anyone know any places where solifugids are sold?

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I had to google it but yes that's the one! Do you know any more about them?

Tarantula_Hawk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just wanted to say that this solifuge is not Metasolpuga picta.
M. picta is a distinctive and very localized diurnal Solpugidae. They occur only in the Namib desert. In other words you will never see M. picta anywhere in the pet trade.

These "fluffy camel spiders" are from North Africa and are Galeodidae. They are not Galeodes sp. though, but most probably Paragaleodes (Othoes in alternative). Unfortunately i never had the chance to ID it with an actual specimen.
All these camel spiders that come and go in the pet trade all seem to be imported from Egypt. Most of the times its the large Galeodes sp., occasionally you get these other Galeodidae (cf. Paragaleodes) and the black Rhagodes sp. (Rhagodidae)

Ripa

Arachnobaron
Awe!! That's so short :-( one website said they live a year? Perhaps they were referring do a different kind of camel spider?
They say a year because that's technically their entire lifespan. Honestly, these critters probably have the potential to live 3- 6 years, but us human captors have no idea of their true specific care requirements. Many camel spiders end up running themselves to death due to not being able to find a suitable burrow. These are just one of the arachnids you should not buy on impulse- you need a lot of experience under your belt to accomodate their living conditions to even get them to the 6 month marker, let alone the year marker. Probably one of the few terrestrial arthropods that just shouldn't be confined in captivity until the secrets of their livelihood are discovered. Kinda like the tropical pill millipede species in their success rate.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
M. picta is a distinctive and very localized diurnal Solpugidae. They occur only in the Namib desert. In other words you will never see M. picta anywhere in the pet trade.

These "fluffy camel spiders" are from North Africa and are Galeodidae. They are not Galeodes sp. though, but most probably Paragaleodes (Othoes in alternative). Unfortunately i never had the chance to ID it with an actual specimen.
All these camel spiders that come and go in the pet trade all seem to be imported from Egypt. Most of the times its the large Galeodes sp., occasionally you get these other Galeodidae (cf. Paragaleodes) and the black Rhagodes sp. (Rhagodidae)
Oh, ok... The google pictures seemed right but I could've been mistaken. Thanks for the info!!

Smokehound714

Arachnoking

Ah my mistake. I'm surprised alot of US solpugidae aren't sold, one amazing genus is eremocosta. I'm much more knowledgeable about native solifugae..

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Are there many US species? Where are they found?
There are thousands of species in several different families/genera..

Habitat preferences vary by species.. Chanbria is a psammophilic genus (sand-loving). Eremobates is probably by far the most widespread US genus.

They have alot of endemism to certain areas. Sandy areas are a good place to find hemerotrecha species, which are often diurnal and colorful.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Oh wow! Sandy like deserts I assume (not beaches)? That sounds like a dumb question but I'm not well versed in this.
Thanks for all the info, I'm going to do some research but uve been very helpful! Are there any native species on sale in the hobby?

--J.Haas

Ripa

Arachnobaron
Oh wow! Sandy like deserts I assume (not beaches)? That sounds like a dumb question but I'm not well versed in this.
Thanks for all the info, I'm going to do some research but uve been very helpful! Are there any native species on sale in the hobby?

--J.Haas
Peter from bugsincyberspace occasionally has NA native Eremobates available for $10- $12

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow thanks! I'll look into it after I finish my research. Much appreciated

--J.Haas

Ripa

Arachnobaron
Wow thanks! I'll look into it after I finish my research. Much appreciated

--J.Haas
Usually the exotic old world species you might find in reptile expos or from occasional dealers can price in between $40- $60, which I think isn't really worth the expense for something that might stress itself out to death in a matter of weeks to months (although, that is my opinion). When it comes to these guys, especially, you're better off starting with the cheapest and gauge how well you care for it. Then you might have an idea if you'd feel like spending more money on those exotic specimens. Take heed that virtually every solifuge you come across in the hobby is WC. Breeding information is scarce, and the information I did uncover involved very specific circumstances- their mating ritual is a far more delicate process when compared to tarantulas, scorpions, or centipedes.
I hope one day more light is shed on these creatures' habits, as I'd love to successfully keep a Galeodes arabicus.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
there are coastal species of solifugae, alot of ammotrechidae are coastal. You need to find intact coastal dunes, however. Beaches tend to be groomed, destroying sand stability, and rendering the habitat useless for many native species that require hummocks (mounds of stable sand that develop around plants) Eremobates is one genus found around scrub and chaparral, fairly common. Just walk around undisturbed scrub/chap with a UV flashlight and they'll run right in your direction. Coastal species tend to be smallish, never really exceeding an inch, unless there are eremocosta species.

The coastal dune species tend to be hemerotrecha, and are small, seldom exceeding 2cm