What do you do with your Tarantula's molts?

Kisato

Arachnopeon
I save them. I love seeing the growth of my babies, so I save them and then once I have enough, I pin them in display cases. Is that weird? Haha. I just love seeing how much bigger they get! Especially my Theraphosa. When I got her from my friend, she was the same size as my adult G. rosea, about 4-5 inches. Now she's about 9 inches. Comparing each of her molts lined up is just... WOW. I can NEVER get over it. So, what do you guys do?

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I keep every molt from sling to adult from all of my personal tarantulas. Also I have bowls and bowls if molts from allllll different species that people have given me. I use them mostly for jewelry. I do fang jars, leg molt earrings and pendants and carapace necklaces. If anyone wants to check em out, shoot me a pm, there's always free shipping for ab members. I have probably over 30 different species and I make them to order as well. :) it's one of my favorite hobbies and they are just as much fun to make as they are to wear! T molts are probably one of my favorite things in the world!

Last edited:

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
i used to keep them to keep trach of growth, but im pretty fine on my notes lol. so now i kinda toss them i dont bother keeping them around. i measure the molt, sometimes take a pic of fresh molt and or size by something, and i keep in in my notes. most go in the trash. i give some to a friend who likes to pin them up in her home. [she has my 2 mm gbb's molts and fm gbb as well as a buddys mf P.met in showcases] but i do nothing with them now.. i used to keep my snakes skin.. till i had 55gal can of it... it was nolonger entertaining XD

magneto

Arachnoknight
I once put the perfect molt of an adult geniculata on the desk of a colleage who is terrified of spiders. His reaction was quite satisfying. {D

And in case someone thinks this was bad taste, he had it coming, we are still on good terms.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
I once put the perfect molt of an adult geniculata on the desk of a colleage who is terrified of spiders. His reaction was quite satisfying. {D

And in case someone thinks this was bad taste, he had it coming, we are still on good terms.
That doesn't really give spiders too good of a rep. Nor their keepers.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I think I answered this before. I fashion thongs out of T. blondi moults.

Oh, and I like to save them for growth comparison too.

magneto

Arachnoknight
That doesn't really give spiders too good of a rep. Nor their keepers.
He hates them. Always has, always will. Spiders and everything else that crawls. He has also expressed that he never wants to try to get over his fear of them. So we haven't lost a potential diciple there.

And we are known to prank each other from time to time. This one was paypack for him "stealing" my car for over a day and making me think it really was stolen.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
They're in a bin at present but I have plans to mount a few. And the ones under 1/2" are floating all over the apartment. I found one of my bigger genic sling's old molts in with my make-up the other day.

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire
I put mine back together and reassemble it to look like it's owner and leave them strategically on surfaces. Kinda like taxidermy, but cleaner lol

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
I'm sure there are better ways to get back at him. Especially when words spread like wildfire when it has to do with spiders.

truecreature

Arachnoknight
I keep them in a box for god knows why, just can't bring myself to throw them away. The last couple good molts I've been trying to mount like taxidermy but just can't get the abdomen shut properly around the cotton

cold blood

Staff member
I always planned on keeping them to have a life size history, so to speak....but it always seemed like too much work, although I do like seeing them. So this past November I decided to put them all in a jar...occasionally I get one I can spread out and make look good...I try to save them for my nephew to see.

After 6 months its packed pretty tight.

Attachments

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
At the moment I'm saving mine in a jar, same as CB. I have a plan for a large mixed media painting, but it's going to be a long time coming. Need a LOT more molts first. :p

Sentinel

Arachnopeon
I eat them so I have nutrients for when -I- molt! :D Just kidding. I keep them in Ziplocs so I can reminisce.