Xmas Party - Itch on ARM

mcgeejoe

Arachnopeon
HI Folks - I was at an xmas party and had my suit jacket on all night. I felt an ITCH and next thing you know the next AM, two bumps on my arm. They ruptured the next day and I had a red streak on my arm, went to the hospital for anti-botics. Today still have a scar. Was this a spider bite possibly?

This was in CT.

Attachments

mcgeejoe

Arachnopeon
I never saw anything but was a dark lighted room, i am assuming it had to be some type of insect or spider. I have owned scorpions before death stalker, Black Tip Fat Tail (A.australis), Chinese Arm tail, Emperor scorpions. Ironic that something tagged me considering i have never been stung with any of the scorpions i have owned.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
Does this look like a spider bite?
It's virtually impossible to say for sure. Yes, some spiders could cause bites like that, but so could a lot of other things. I see your location is Connecticut, there are widow spiders there who cause bites similar to that but bites from those are very very rare. It's also weird that it'd bite twice like that. Also, if it were a widow I'd have expected some sweating, cramping, salivation, and/or elevated temperature.

There are also some kind of true bugs that can cause bites like that as well. Doesn't really look like a centipede chomp.

Since you didn't see the critter, it's all guesswork.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
...not to mention that judging by the distance those two biteholes are apart, that would've had to be some big spider. I'm pretty sure you'd felt it walking on your skin before hence

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
...not to mention that judging by the distance those two biteholes are apart, that would've had to be some big spider. I'm pretty sure you'd felt it walking on your skin before hence
...or just a little one that bit him twice.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
It's virtually impossible to say for sure. Yes, some spiders could cause bites like that, but so could a lot of other things. I see your location is Connecticut, there are widow spiders there who cause bites similar to that but bites from those are very very rare. It's also weird that it'd bite twice like that. Also, if it were a widow I'd have expected some sweating, cramping, salivation, and/or elevated temperature.

There are also some kind of true bugs that can cause bites like that as well. Doesn't really look like a centipede chomp.

Since you didn't see the critter, it's all guesswork.
I don't think that widows cause necrosis, either, they use a neurotoxin. So you are right, other even less pleasant symptoms should have arose had it been a widow. I did see a description of a "parson's spider" which will bite and can cause a mosquito bite-like bump. If it was a spider, it might not be a venom issue, but a secondary infection caused by the puncture allowing bacteria into the wound. Like you said, Blue, it can only be guesswork.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's a nasty looking bite or whatever it is. Like Storm76 said the bites are two far apart to be a spider. Not unless you had a 12" inch Theraphosa blondi, stirmi or apophysis hanging inside your jacket. Only than I would consider a spider bite.

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
Jose, I think it's pretty clear it would be two separate bites. Nothing big enough to have that be one bite with two punctures could possibly be in the sleeve of a shirt or jacket!!

mcgeejoe

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys - yes i am still perplexed on what it was. Long story short the bite-sting or whatever it was got infected (red streak on arm). Went to hospital for anti-botics.

After it happened I threw that jacket in my trunk for 3 weeks :)>

Last edited:

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
oooo that looks like blood poisoning =\ judging by the streak and the POV looks like maybe 1" span total [outside to outside] to me but ofc ourse if you scratched or picked at it it can be bigger.. to me it looks nothing like little spiders.. are you sure you wasnt drunk and stabbed with a screwdriver? ;) lolol but def interesting :p

mcgeejoe

Arachnopeon
It was an ice pick and not a screw driver ! GeeZ...

All I know I was at a dark lighted Christmas party and remember itching my arm.

Next day two bumps that ruptured and red streak down arm. Went to hospital for antibiotics - so it's still a mystery surrounding the cause. I still have a scar from this today.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
It was an ice pick and not a screw driver ! GeeZ...

All I know I was at a dark lighted Christmas party and remember itching my arm.

Next day two bumps that ruptured and red streak down arm. Went to hospital for antibiotics - so it's still a mystery surrounding the cause. I still have a scar from this today.
Well...party, meaning bigger ice quantities needed/bought, which may mean icepick required.. I believe that more then the screwdriver ;)

But i suppose we may neverknow.. But if you picked it that may be reason for scar (ik all too well with flea and chigger bites lol)