Lassie won't eat. Why?

Sentinel

Arachnopeon
My baby Lasiodora Parahybana that I got a week or two ago refuses to eat. I've given her mealworms with the heads removed, baby crickets, nothing. She won't eat. I don't understand it.

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Picture please. Is it fat? Some baby spiders, even Lasiodora, don't gain confidence until they're bigger. Have you left the pre-killed prey in there overnight?

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Could be pre-molt, or just full... could you provide a picture of it, how often do you feed it?

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Could be full, could be premolt, could be simply not hungry. Don't overfret if they don't eat for a bit - post a pic of the T in question if possible so we can judge better what might be the issue - if at all.

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
My LP was a royal pain to feed until it got to about 1 inch - up to that point it would sometimes even cower away from pre-killed. Took forever to gain any size, too - it's growth rate was more comparable to my B. albo than it was to my other Lasiodora species. As z32 said, leaving prekilled prey in overnight may help; that's what I ended up doing with mine and I finally got it to a point where it was eating and molting like a Lasiodora should.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Well, it isn't in pre-moult, that is evident by appearance and plus while they do moult frequently at that stage, a mere week isn't enough time. From the time I got mine, it has moulted roughly every two months, and I think yours and mine started at about the same size. As has been suggested, it may simply not be hungry. When was the last time you can confirm that it ate? Mine ate pretty well, but it can vary from spider to spider, of course.
Try pre-killed as was also suggested. If you are feeding crickets, they can sometimes intimidate small s'lings. My E. Campestratus ran away from them when it was a small spider. Takes them down now like nobody's business though.
I wouldn't sweat it at least for while.

Sentinel

Arachnopeon
Well, it isn't in pre-moult, that is evident by appearance and plus while they do moult frequently at that stage, a mere week isn't enough time. From the time I got mine, it has moulted roughly every two months, and I think yours and mine started at about the same size. As has been suggested, it may simply not be hungry. When was the last time you can confirm that it ate? Mine ate pretty well, but it can vary from spider to spider, of course.
Try pre-killed as was also suggested. If you are feeding crickets, they can sometimes intimidate small s'lings. My E. Campestratus ran away from them when it was a small spider. Takes them down now like nobody's business though.
I wouldn't sweat it at least for while.
That's just the thing. I can't confirm it EVER ate.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
If it just molted a few days ago could be the reason why it's not eating, some Ts may take longer before they eat after a molt than others, just keep offering it food.. pre-killed like already suggested is a good way to go too, if you feed live prey try feeding prey items not bigger than the Ts body (without the legs).. they get startled by larger prey items quite easily at that size.. I also have more success feeding all my slings pre-killed rather than live, when they enter their juvenile stages they take down live prey with a lot more confidence

cold blood

Staff member
If it molted 7 days ago, you shouldn't even be offering food till about now anyway...refusal prior is to be expected....they take time before they are capable of eating after molting, and some individuals (and some individual molts) take longer to recover from.

It just molted=its hungry. It will show you when its ready to begin feeding again:wink:

Offer it a pre-killed mealie when you go to bed tonight, it will likely be gone in the am.

And don't remove their heads, crush them, this way they stay alive and not only don't begin to break down in the enclosure, but they still move enough to attract the t to them. I've removed mealies with crushed heads from sling enclosures that were sitting for 2 days....pick them out, they instantly wiggle wildly and get fed elsewhere....no wasted mealies, even if the meal's refused....so if its not eaten in the am, you can just leave it...unlike one with the head removed that goes to :poop: hours after dropping it in. With a crushed head its no threat to the t, nor is it a threat to burrow or escape.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
+1 CB, never offer food at least for a week after a molt, they need time to harden up (great way to tell if your T has harden properly is black fangs, if the fangs are white or red don't offer it any food, the new exo is still soft at this time and can be easily damaged :)

Last edited:

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
That's just the thing. I can't confirm it EVER ate.
Ah, I didn't get that, i didn't know it had not ate for you after you got it. The comments people offered still apply of course, and if it had moulted it had apparently been eating prior to its arrival.

Oh,while sort of irrelevant, I once crushed the head of a mealworm for my hapalopus. Felt it crunch with the pinch. And yet, some time later I had a beetle in there. i guess it wasn't crushed enough.

Sentinel

Arachnopeon
Ah, I didn't get that, i didn't know it had not ate for you after you got it. The comments people offered still apply of course, and if it had moulted it had apparently been eating prior to its arrival.

Oh,while sort of irrelevant, I once crushed the head of a mealworm for my hapalopus. Felt it crunch with the pinch. And yet, some time later I had a beetle in there. i guess it wasn't crushed enough.
GUESS WHO JUST BOUGHT A B. SMITHI! :D I know, random, but I got one for $100! Sexed female!

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Whoa! Okay, I know we've had a discussion on the merits of getting a non-feeding tarantula to eat by giving it another tarantula, but that is a bit extreme!

;) :D

Sentinel

Arachnopeon
Whoa! Okay, I know we've had a discussion on the merits of getting a non-feeding tarantula to eat by giving it another tarantula, but that is a bit extreme!

She's two inches and will be here Thursday. That's a good deal, right?

cold blood

Staff member

I'm picturing his tiny Lasi clinging to the side of a full grown adult female smithi in a futile attempt to subdue the giant beast.:laugh:

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
She's two inches and will be here Thursday. That's a good deal, right?
Well, I don't really track prices, but I see unsexed 2"+ offered for $79.00 and you expect to pay a premium for confirmed females on top of that, so I'd guess you did not get burned. I am ready to stand corrected, though.

Edit: Did you go through Backwater Reptiles for this one?

Sentinel

Arachnopeon
Well, I don't really track prices, but I see unsexed 2"+ offered for $79.00 and you expect to pay a premium for confirmed females on top of that, so I'd guess you did not get burned. I am ready to stand corrected, though.

Edit: Did you go through Backwater Reptiles for this one?
No, through a dealer on here.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Might be for the best. Their record for properly ID'ing creatures is a bit lacking. As drop-shippers, they often don't even lay eyes on what they sell.

Last edited: