Lasiodora parahybana has died after almost 3 years being MM

alpharowe3

Arachnopeon
What is the longest your mature males have lived?

Here is the records I kept on my Lp

I received this spider from David Grimm, @ 1" in September of 2009.
His notes when I received it:
"It has grown quickly and is very healthy. Once it was so fat at about 2.5" that it got through TWO molts with only one meal in between".

Molt log in my care:
Dec 29, 2009
Feb 9, 2010
April 3, 2010
June 4, 2010
October 7, 2010
Approx. August 2-6, 2011
Approx. July 7-14 2012 (Became Mature Male)
Approx. May 22 2015 he died

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That doesn't make sense that you got it at 1". His note contradicts what you said.

cold blood

Staff member
I'm assuming a decimal point misplacement is the culprit. .25" would make perfect sense....not that it would ultimately matter in the length of time he lived as a MM.

3 years is ridiculous.

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
.25" does make more sense. Mine was an inch in September 2012 and is still an immature male. I suspect he'll mature next molt.

XBabysinX

Arachnopeon
Crazy, I'd love to see more answers as I have a MM L.P and I've had him for almost a year, was mature when I got him but previous owner didn't have a friggin clue about him as he was a gift to her (and she asked no questions nor looked into him) but here with in the last month or so despite continuing to eat and drink his abdomen is shriveling.

Anubis77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm not good about keeping records, but my first tarantula, a G. pulchripes, matured around July 2010 and died in late 2014. Lived ~10 years total.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

"It has grown quickly and is very healthy. Once it was so fat at about 2.5" that it got through TWO molts with only one meal in between".

Molt log in my care:
Dec 29, 2009
Feb 9, 2010
April 3, 2010
June 4, 2010
October 7, 2010
Approx. August 2-6, 2011
I don't know the dates exactly but I had a MM Rosie live about 4 years post ultimate. By the time he died I could swear he was totally senile!

captmarga

Arachnobaron
I have a MM B vagans that is still making sperm webs over 16 months post molt to MM, and a RCF or "true" rosea male that is nearing two full years post MM status, still eating and going strong. It can be done!

Nanchantress

ArachnoFriend
Old Timer
Resurrecting an old thread, but I was going to start a similar post so thought I'd just add to this one instead. My male G.rosea "hooked out" on September 4, 2011 so he is coming up on his 5 year anniversary of being a mature male. In the last 5 years "Carmello" has made about 4 sperm webs but not very well, and he tore them apart soon after making them. His main hobby these days is filling up his water dish with substrate and undertaking occasional earth-moving projects. He has eaten hardly anything over the last few years (maybe one cricket every 6 months). Once I put an appropriately-sized dubia roach in his enclosure and apparently Carmello decided to keep him as a pet instead of eat him. After a couple months I finally took the dubia out and put him back in with his colony.

I do not do anything special in my husbandry really. I guess he just has good genes. I change the substrate once a year maybe, fill his water dish when it's empty, offer him food once a month or so and then invariably remove the still-living food after a few days. He started to look like he was beginning a death curl over a year ago but I just watched and waited and dampened the substrate around him to improve the humidity in case he was dehydrated and lo-and-behold he came out of it. He is my only T that rejoices when I fill his water dish with fresh clean water. He parks himself over the dish for a good long drink almost every time. He is kind of a brat and shows a threat posture whenever I reach in with the tongs to get his water dish. I learned long ago to not put my hand in there - he'll kick hairs.

Kind of a grouchy old guy but he's my first and that's part of his charm.

Just wanted to share...

It's been 5 years since I posted last! Wow, time flies.

Nancy

Nanchantress

ArachnoFriend
Old Timer
Whaaa? Why? Substrate doesn't go bad, there's no reason to just change it.
Hmmm, when I read this I searched this forum and I see that the prevailing thought these days is to almost never change the substrate unless there is a dire need. I haven't browsed this forum for years and I got much of my husbandry advice from the Schultz book The Tarantula Keeper's Guide. My copy, page 179-180, says to clean cage once a year by removing and discarding substrate. Thank you for opening up my eyes to a new (to me anyway) idea. Always willing to learn...

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow! Five years? That's amazing!

Wish I'd seen this thread before I gave away my MM Lp! He hooked out on me a few weeks ago and I know, in general, once they hook out the clock is ticking. Gave him to a guy I know to try to breed him while he was still fresh. I do have a MM Aphonopelma sp. (locally caught) that hooked out over a year ago (don't remember exactly when - I don't keep molt records - but I want to say June or July of 2015) and he's still alive and kicking. Of course, he's showing his age - he's kind of scrawny and balding, like a spry little old man - but he's got a healthy appetite and a stubborn determination to not die on me. On the other hand, my MM A. versicolor (raised from a sling) died less than a year after maturing and another local MM Aphonopelma died after about five months.

Last edited:

alpharowe3

Arachnopeon
Resurrecting an old thread, but I was going to start a similar post so thought I'd just add to this one instead. My male G.rosea "hooked out" on September 4, 2011 so he is coming up on his 5 year anniversary of being a mature male. In the last 5 years "Carmello" has made about 4 sperm webs but not very well, and he tore them apart soon after making them. His main hobby these days is filling up his water dish with substrate and undertaking occasional earth-moving projects. He has eaten hardly anything over the last few years (maybe one cricket every 6 months). Once I put an appropriately-sized dubia roach in his enclosure and apparently Carmello decided to keep him as a pet instead of eat him. After a couple months I finally took the dubia out and put him back in with his colony.

I do not do anything special in my husbandry really. I guess he just has good genes. I change the substrate once a year maybe, fill his water dish when it's empty, offer him food once a month or so and then invariably remove the still-living food after a few days. He started to look like he was beginning a death curl over a year ago but I just watched and waited and dampened the substrate around him to improve the humidity in case he was dehydrated and lo-and-behold he came out of it. He is my only T that rejoices when I fill his water dish with fresh clean water. He parks himself over the dish for a good long drink almost every time. He is kind of a brat and shows a threat posture whenever I reach in with the tongs to get his water dish. I learned long ago to not put my hand in there - he'll kick hairs.

Kind of a grouchy old guy but he's my first and that's part of his charm.

Just wanted to share...

It's been 5 years since I posted last! Wow, time flies.

Nancy

Was just checking my old posts and saw this. Was wondering how much longer that rosea lived. I still think about that LP I had.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

Molt log in my care:
Dec 29, 2009
Feb 9, 2010
April 3, 2010
June 4, 2010
October 7, 2010
Approx. August 2-6, 2011
I had a Chaco golden live 3-4 years but everything else was under 3. I’ve kept to many fast growing species that’s why most my collection was wiped out so many males 80-90% or so ,alergic to hairs so couldn’t ship them. I’m only buying non irritating hairs from now on and maybe try more slow grieved .

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
How is this even possible? Were you buying "unsexed" juveniles or something?
Yes I had p regalis not sure why the only female died bad molt or something , but 9 of 10 were males. Bought them at 1/2-1” size . Now a single one cost as much as those did . I’m not sure we’re to Even find them . My lasiodora were close to 50/50 though so it depends. But on average I get 75%+ males for every female and this might change every order as it’s random.

Last edited: