good enclosure?

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire
I'm strongly considering picking up a s. subspinipes at the local reptile show. I have a large, tall storage container, maybe 60 quart size? Would this be a good enclosure for the centipede? I'd like to give it room to hunt, but I also hear they like tight spaces, so maybe I should go smaller?

Ripa

Arachnobaron
I'm strongly considering picking up a s. subspinipes at the local reptile show. I have a large, tall storage container, maybe 60 quart size? Would this be a good enclosure for the centipede? I'd like to give it room to hunt, but I also hear they like tight spaces, so maybe I should go smaller?
They like tight spaces in the sense that you should provide a hide or enough substrate for them to burrow. An active pede that is not overly fed or not in premolt/ gravid will be around and about every night. I see my heros going psycho every night in its enclosure if it's not being pacified by food.

elliotulysses

Arachnosquire
They like tight spaces in the sense that you should provide a hide or enough substrate for them to burrow. An active pede that is not overly fed or not in premolt/ gravid will be around and about every night. I see my heros going psycho every night in its enclosure if it's not being pacified by food.
So get a hide or go smaller?

Donski

Arachnopeon
Faunarium

Would the large tall faunarium be ok for a scholopendra ? I've read they are escape artists and I'd rather not lose one in the house :)'

Ripa

Arachnobaron
Would the large tall faunarium be ok for a scholopendra ? I've read they are escape artists and I'd rather not lose one in the house :)'
Depends on the Scolopendra species in question. That genus can vary in size. What species are you intending to get?

Donski

Arachnopeon
The species I have in mind:
Alipes multicostis
Scolopendra subspinipes : Thai red leg
Scolopendra hardwickei

To be honest I am finding it.hard to find much care information at all. If anyone has any resource that would be good :)

Two things I haven't been able to establish as yet. Can you sex them? Should they be heated ?

Many thanks for the reply.
Don

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Orin mcmonigle just put out a new centipede care guide, "Centipedes in captivity", I think it's called. It's full of great info, I recommend it if your looking for a good care resource!