Cobolt Blue pricing?

flamekitty84

Arachnopeon
Hey all, I think this is my first posting, but Ive been floating around here for a bit now, and decided that if I ask anyone this question, it would be you guys
so my local Petco has had this Cobolt Blue tarantula for a few months now. it was originally priced at $80 and when I went in today they had a 50% tag on it.
to me, it looks like an adult/sub-adult male: small abdomen, long legs, and possibly hooks. I couldn't see all that well and I should have snapped a picture, but it was not blue at all, if that makes a difference
so I guess my question is, is $40 a good price for an adult male?
I know that males die earlier than females, and I'm worried that, since he hasn't been scooped up yet, he will live the rest of his life in that pet store...not a big deal, I know, but I may be able to bargain for a lower price
I do not plan on breeding tho...so maybe leaving him for someone else is a good idea...or not? idk I'm torn!!! hahahha help me!

cold blood

Staff member
Males and females look identical until the males maturing molt, upon which you will see the emboli, hooks (not on all species) and the differentiating smaller, leggy body type. If you see evidence like you describe, its mature. They aren't a big species and males are smaller. Also the blues show up best when lit at certain angles, other angles they seem black...especially later in heir molting cycle.

A MM would run about that price, maybe a little more, from what I've seen, but unless you have a place lined up to send him, it wouldn't be worth it....that said, it wouldn't be that difficult to find someone with a female here on AB.

flamekitty84

Arachnopeon
ahh I see. I was going to stop by and maybe snap a pic tomorrow, but if you think it's not worth it, I won't bother buying him. I just hope he finds a good home before he passes
thanks for responding!

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Never buy one just to improve its living conditions. You only encourage that location to replace it, thus increasing demand in an already terribly executed harvesting system. However, if you can line up a mate for it, you can always give it a shot. I wouldn't pay $40 though without assurance it just recently molted and otherwise looks healthy. Males are already fragile creatures and if they have been raised poorly they likely won't recover even with food/water, and may just die before it does you any good.

-Sean