A ridiculous fear

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have this irrational concern that one day I'll just wake up with a spontaneous case of arachnophobia and have to get rid of all my Ts. Every day I first check on my critters and I breathe a sigh of relief after confirming that they're still cute, not scary.

Has anyone else had this fear? :biggrin:

Ripa

Arachnobaron
I have this irrational concern that one day I'll just wake up with a spontaneous case of arachnophobia and have to get rid of all my Ts. Every day I first check on my critters and I breathe a sigh of relief after confirming that they're still cute, not scary.

Has anyone else had this fear? :biggrin:
I have a fear that I might get allergic to something related to keeping my arthropods. Not only because I couldn't keep them anymore, but my plans for my future occupation would be a bit more difficult to overcome. Albeit, I'd still try being persistent in doing what I can in that field with said condition, I wouldn't know how long my determination would last.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I have a ridiculous and completely irrational fear of all the harmless insects I feed my Ts :p I can´t even look at a colony of superworms without freaking out as bad as people with arachnophobia does around Ts!

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh yeah, I feel ya guys on the lid thing.

I have a ridiculous and completely irrational fear of all the harmless insects I feed my Ts :p I can´t even look at a colony of superworms without freaking out as bad as people with arachnophobia does around Ts!
I've heard a lot of people are freaked out by crickets specifically, I wonder why.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I don't know of it is an irrational fear, but I'm a bit afraid of urticating hairs. Not the itch, but the potential of inhaling, or especially getting them in my eyes.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I don't know of it is an irrational fear, but I'm a bit afraid of urticating hairs. Not the itch, but the potential of inhaling, or especially getting them in my eyes.
I was really afraid of the hairs after reading about eye injuries, so I started with some OW species that I really did not know how to cope with. I learned a lot about the speed of baboons when I did some of my first rehousing projects though.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon

The difference between an irrational fear and intellegent caution is often subtle. I think fear of getting urticating hairs in your eyes, nose or throat is an instance of intelligent caution.......

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Haha, I'm always afraid mine are going to just drop dead because of some errant toxin I drift in. As such I avoid coming in contact with even household chemicals at work and dogs/cats I don't know for sure aren't treated with flea meds at all costs.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, after seeing some nasty photos, I would say urticating hairs are a very rational fear.

Haha, I'm always afraid mine are going to just drop dead because of some errant toxin I drift in.
I feel this one for sure, I do a lot of art stuff and I'm always worried about tiny amounts of paint or glue fumes drifting in from the other room even though I use fairly benign stuff.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
i too semi share this.. tho now almost 1/4 of my collection apears to be psalmo ;) and the rest too small to "do much harm" but its still a fear i always open an enclosure WELL away from my face lol i learned well as working with cobras for years you never know whats going to happen.. id rather look like a goofball doing a backwards Michael Jackson gravity then have a hair in the eye/nose =[

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I am afraid of P. murinus, I will never own one. Just watched to many videos before I started keeping that scared me lol. I have no problem getting another sp. of Pterinochilus. Any other tarantulas doesn't bother me.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I am afraid of P. murinus, I will never own one. Just watched to many videos before I started keeping that scared me lol. I have no problem getting another sp. of Pterinochilus. Any other tarantulas doesn't bother me.
try having a poec bolt 6'+ up 2 sets of arms and within a blink you feel the palps on the oposite side of your neck

Issehalsey

Arachnopeon
Crickets, worms, beetles... Eek! I can't touch them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Haha, I'm always afraid mine are going to just drop dead because of an errant toxin I drift in. As such I avoid coming in contact with even household chemicals at work and dogs/cats I don't know for sure aren't treated with flea meds at all costs.
We had a cat we took in because she was heavily pregnant and homeless with the intention to re-home her and the kittens when they were big enough. Well, we did that, and kept two of them but now we have a flee infestation. I have a 9 year old pug. The poor thing is miserable. I've tried using dawn to kill them, with mild to moderate success but he still has them and now he's got dry skin. He can't scratch because, well, he's a pug. He can't scratch himself or even lick anything but his front feet. I'm about to have to try flea shampoo. I'm terrified I'm going to kill my whole collection, feeder colonies and all. :(

awiec

Arachnoprince
Oh yeah, I feel ya guys on the lid thing.

I've heard a lot of people are freaked out by crickets specifically, I wonder why.
I hate crickets with a passion, I think it's the ability that they can jump so well. I find pinhead really cute but when you get to the small-medium ones I get this sickening feeling. I remember when I was a little girl I had caught a grasshopper and it exploded in my hand as they sometimes do that if they eat too much. Probably up until a few years ago I was legitimately very disturbed by them and I kinda got into tarantulas just to help get over my weird fear of hopping things.