Centipede Tank Question / Probably a Dumb One / But???

DETHCHEEZ

Arachnosquire
My beloved pet sidewinder of like 8 years died yesterday
&
I was thinking of setting up her tank terrarium style with live plants & what not for my Vietnamese centipede

The tank is 12in. wide X 36in. long & very secure

Personally I can't think of any problems off the top of my head
But was wondering if any one can think of any issues I may run in to keeping a pede in a tank that size

Just wondering

Thanx...

Ripa

Arachnobaron
RIP to your little viperid

As far as the enclosure goes, how tall is it? If it's substantially tall (10"+), I would assume after keeping a venomous snake in there, the only issue I see with it is that you probably won't see your pede as often as you'd like. I would probably consider that sort of enclosure for a gigantea or galapagoensis lol The reason why a lot of pede keepers don't go out and grab the largest enclosure for their pets is because of two things- 1) the animal doesn't need it if it's well-fed 2) the keeper will lose track of it and might see it only seldom.

So go ahead if you want, as it won't impact the animal at all- you just might have a hard time finding it if you actually want to observe its habits. It also depends on how big your subspinipes is ATM, because I do realize some specimens and populations can hit past 8", which might prove more visible and easier to locate in your enclosure than some smaller varieties of that species.

Last edited:

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
I think this would make an excellent enclosure for a giant South American species, or perhaps even a Sonarn giant? They Sonorans can reach 8++" body lengths and are quite active. Any of the currently called "gigantea" and galapagoensis are also out and about once adjusted. I see mine at least a few times a week during the day and when they are out they stay out for a while in most cases if not until they eat. If you set the tank up right you can see them multiple times a week as I t's hard to miss something that's a third the length of the tank.