Naming some T's

Spidergurl24

Arachnopeon
I was thinking a boy and girl name for each or just a neutral nameGrammostola pulchripes, Chaco golden knee image.jpg (old pic in bigger cage now+ at 1/2") I was thinking bob(the builder- more like bulldozer!)or Coco
Hapalopus Columbia, pumpkin patch large image.jpg I surprisingly have Jo ideas here:p1/2"
Psalmopoeus cambridgei 1/2-3/4"stubborn little guy is camera shy image.jpg I was thinking Moses or Martha
Never really named my T's before so let's do this!

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I found all the pet 'names' of my ts on baby name websites. I generally go to the 'flower' or 'Greek' name section. But I mostly just call them by their scientific names.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I named my pumpkin patch Linus. If you get the joke, good for you.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
My G pulchripies is named Tank..... eats non stop if he/she could and burns it off moving substrate around (for fun?)

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
I name all my Ts after plants, though I always refer to them by their binomial names when talking about them with other people. The nicknames are just for my own enjoyment. :p

TsunamiSpike

Arachnosquire
Tend to name mine something relevant to the look, name or temperament of the T. For instance our P.Irminias are named Flare and Aurora (both words relating to Sun), our G. Pulchra being named Salem (after the black cat from Sabrina the Teenage Witch) or our P. Murinus named Ma-Ma...After the evil, sadistic b***h from the Dredd 3D movie lol.

widowkeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i have never understood why ppl name them. they are like potato chips you cant have just one. sure you start out with one or two but before you know it you have ate half a bag.
Ts are no diff, you buy one and before you know it they have their own room, how or why anyone would ever want think up that many names when female 1 female 2 etc works just fine :p

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
i have never understood why ppl name them. they are like potato chips you cant have just one. sure you start out with one or two but before you know it you have ate half a bag.
Ts are no diff, you buy one and before you know it they have their own room, how or why anyone would ever want think up that many names when female 1 female 2 etc works just fine :p
^^^so true
but there are many diff flavors of chips I don't want to lose track of which bag I ate from last.
I now am up to 19 diff bags in two months :eek:....and the another label down there on a diff shelf looks :roflmao::roflmao:tastier.

TsunamiSpike

Arachnosquire
Each to their own, for some its part of the enjoyment and naming like any other pet.

Spidergurl24

Arachnopeon
Might name the Chaco Dozer after that guy from the matrix. Bob is kinda iffy. Latin names would be pretty cool. Thanks everybody!

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
It sounds fun at first, naming them, but as your collection grows you'll find yourself ditching the cutesy names and just calling them by their scientific names. I only named a few, mostly those I had a lot of repeats of (for example: 4 rescued female G.porteri) to help identify which I was talking about. But now I just say "the big grouchy G.porteri" or "the paired porteri". I still know the names that I gave them, but I don't use them.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
It sounds fun at first, naming them, but as your collection grows you'll find yourself ditching the cutesy names and just calling them by their scientific names.

+1. The time is much better spent learning the subfamilies and which genera are in each, than making up silly names for animals who don't respond when they're called. There's a site called 'Eight, a Site about Tarantulas' that has a great list of species/genera/subfamilies that'll give a good picture of what's related and why.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
For me, it allows me to communicate about the tarantulas to my significant other (and interested friends) without bogging them down with terminology. The scientific names are hard to remember and differentiate to those who, frankly, don't care about the specifics.

It's much easier to say "Did you see Vex webbing today?!" versus "Did you see the B. emilia webbing today?! No, the red one. No, the other red one. The one with the V."

Not to mention, I just like naming things. My saxophone is named Burtha, and my phone is named Joffrey.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
For me, it allows me to communicate about the tarantulas to my significant other (and interested friends) without bogging them down with terminology. The scientific names are hard to remember and differentiate to those who, frankly, don't care about the specifics.

It's not hard to learn. I have a collection of spiders and a yard full of tropical plants; my wife is not 'into' any of them, but all I use is scientific names for all of them when talking to her/showing her things. I see no point in using common names (which are confusing and nearly useless), or making up cute pet names. She's able to comprehend what I'm talking about. I'd like to think everyone's spouses and significant others can do the same. Not rocket science. When she talks to other people about them (my friends or hers) they're impressed she knows that much. To me it's like the difference between speaking normally or using baby talk with a child. Why confuse them with goofy made up names? You can raise their level or you can keep it low.

WindedFatnNasty

Arachnopeon

It's much easier to say "Did you see Vex webbing today?!" versus "Did you see the B. emilia webbing today?! No, the red one. No, the other red one. The one with the V."

Not to mention, I just like naming things. My saxophone is named Burtha, and my phone is named Joffrey.
Haha I get this all the time with my girlfriend [emoji3]

truecreature

Arachnoknight
Each to their own, for some its part of the enjoyment and naming like any other pet.
Agreed, I have a lot of fun coming up with names and my inverts are pets rather than a collection no matter how many I end up with. I use their scientific name when talking with other people, but to me they still have their own personal names.

DVMT

Arachnosquire
It's not hard to learn. I have a collection of spiders and a yard full of tropical plants; my wife is not 'into' any of them, but all I use is scientific names for all of them when talking to her/showing her things. I see no point in using common names (which are confusing and nearly useless), or making up cute pet names. She's able to comprehend what I'm talking about. I'd like to think everyone's spouses and significant others can do the same. Not rocket science. When she talks to other people about them (my friends or hers) they're impressed she knows that much. To me it's like the difference between speaking normally or using baby talk with a child. Why confuse them with goofy made up names? You can raise their level or you can keep it low.
I tried to just use scientific names with friends and new people wanting to come see them and I usually lose them with that......and "pet names" are easier to remember for them. Now I sprinkle in a healthy dose of both scientific and personal names and that seems to work well in both educating them and keeping them interested. I named them for about the first 40 or so, but as my inventory grows I don't really name them anymore. It does give the hobby some added enjoyment, though. They are pets and we generally have names for our pets, so it's just commonplace in my opinion.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I dunno. Among those in the hobby, using the binominal system is preferred and important. When using common names or pet names in our circle it would be like the story of the Tower of Babel, where everybody could not understand what everyone else was talking about.
But, I haven't seen any real harm in naming them if it flips your trigger, either. I've assigned most of mine "pet" names, but almost never use them unless speaking to somebody who is familiar with them. But it can be amusing. I have referred to my B. smithi as "Geronimo" in reference to a rather dangerous plunge it once took, for example. My L. parahybana is Elpy. Get the best of both worlds on that one. And so on. I rarely use those names, but they have them.
I will say this. My sister, does not like it when I refer to them by their scientific names, she thinks i am trying to sound pretentious. of course, she holds me in contempt for about anything I say or do... ( I can't say what my pet name for HER is without receiving an infraction, let5's just say that in "B. Sisterus", the 'B' would NOT stand for "Brachypelma) But I can get where some people might arrive at that conclusion that you are trying to sound pretentious. Whether or not that is the fact depends on the person, I suppose.
I continue to refer to them by their scientific name when I speak of them to my sister, (which is rarely), because hey- it apparently bugs her.

In the end,as far as everyday life goes, naming a pet whatever really has little impact on anything outside of the hobby as it is a matter of taste and if it enhances a person's enjoyment of the animals, go for it as long as you remember not to use it in situations where it confuses others who may want to discuss the spider with you.

Right: How high a fall can a B. smithi survive?
Acceptable: My B. smithi, Geronimo, holds the tarantula word record for high-diving.
Halfway acceptable: My Mexican red knee tarantula, Geronimo, broke its own record for high-diving. (this can be acceptable in casual conversation because the species isn't really relevant.)
Wrong: I think I will try a breeding project with Geronimo. Are there any temperature requirements that will ensure a better chance of success?
Downright wrong: Would anybody like for me to send them Geronimo for a 50/50 breeding project?

To some people they are pets. Most people assign pet names to pets. To some they are specimens. Others have large amounts for which naming is impractical. So what it comes down to is the individual keeper and their taste. Unlike husbandry, there is no right set of ways and wrong set of ways when it comes to referring to a spider.

DVMT

Arachnosquire
Right: How high a fall can a B. smithi survive?
Acceptable: My B. smithi, Geronimo, holds the tarantula word record for high-diving.
Halfway acceptable: My Mexican red knee tarantula, Geronimo, broke its own record for high-diving. (this can be acceptable in casual conversation because the species isn't really relevant.)
Wrong: I think I will try a breeding project with Geronimo. Are there any temperature requirements that will ensure a better chance of success?
Downright wrong: Would anybody like for me to send them Geronimo for a 50/50 breeding project?
Basically, this sums it up.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I named the first 5 or 6. If I named more, I have forgotten their names. I do sorta just refer to them by scientific names. In fact, sometimes I have too look up the 'names' I gave the first few. 6 months ago I'd have argued harder for naming Ts.
Let's see... G rosea is Rosie, A avic is Timber, G pulchripes is Aragog, B albo is Hagrid, GBB is obviously named Bloo. I can't remember the other names. Shame because I am sure A seemanni had a good name. So, less than half have names. Oh well.