Dealing with Molds and Fungi

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I asked a colleague from way back when who is now a recognized expert mycologist for some suggestions in controlling molds in habitats.

"Spores are ubiquitous. Every breath os every respirating animal contains millions. Theyre found on the top of Mt Everest. Molds are the secondary chain in the decomposition of all organic matter with bacteria the first.

So you can't be rid og them. Theyre opportunistic. You have the you gave them a habitat to grow in. What youre dealing with is outbreaks. Just another disease. They find an opportunity and go with it. So to control outbreaks requires two things. Modify the environment so it becomes hostile to growth or at least overgrowth and eradicting the excess. No other way. You got mold, it's your fault. You cultivated the soil in your garden then weeds pop up."

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
For me, mold tends to be an issue only for the first month or two of a new substrate being added to a terrarium. After that, the mold disappears.

The Snark

Old Timer
For me, mold tends to be an issue only for the first month or two of a new substrate being added to a terrarium. After that, the mold disappears.
You've created a hostile environment. It's undoubted that the spores are still present but unable to grow. Substrate composition and moisture content, temperature and humidity would be the key factors. Possibly a combination you could pass on to others.

Dave Marschang

Arachnoknight
I have never worried about mold, when I see it I remove it with tweezers. if its a chronic issue I ventilate better. so far haven't lost a single spider to mold. I have NEVER rehoused or changed the substrate because of it.

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
If the environment is "hostile" it doesn't effect any of my animals, as they are just fine. Mold on food that is left out is still a problem. Mold in the substrate is only a problem for a month or so. I am going to guess that this is because the natural balance settles after a month or so and the mold is kept in check.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If the environment is "hostile" it doesn't effect any of my animals, as they are just fine. Mold on food that is left out is still a problem. Mold in the substrate is only a problem for a month or so. I am going to guess that this is because the natural balance settles after a month or so and the mold is kept in check.
I think the Snark only meant that the environment you created is hostile to the mold, not to your animals. In other words, it is the natural balance you mention, which keeps the mold in check.

The Snark

Old Timer
I try to be concise and not drop into dissertation mode.

It's only normal and natural that humans view the world around them myopically. What is visible and of importance unto humans with a passing nod given to supporting factors but not much else. ??? What did he just say?

The balance. The whole picture. Far too vast for any mind or computer to encompass. Hostile, actively retardant, restrictive, neutral, favorable, conducive, friendly, actively promoting. Either extreme end of that spectrum is instant death to all living organisms that cannot rapidly mutate and evolve. In between resides all life as we know it.

The competition and survival of the species is the ultimate complex dance. Two life bearing objects collide with great force and all life on them both dies. An elephant steps on a fly with equivalent force and new life far more complex than both participants is promoted. Star Trek's photon cannon! Amazing pie in the sky futuristic improbability. Certain bacteria in your mouth use photon cannons on a regular basis to suppress competition.

It's an amazing world out there and absolutes are extremely rare. Hostile to one organism can be a verdant garden of eden to the next.

Last edited: