First OW

Roosterbomb

Arachnopeon
I ordered 2 hapolopus sp lg and added an h villosella onto the order. They seem pretty straight forward for an old world. Other than being pretty fast any thing else I should be aware of ?

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
Haplopus sp. large is also called Haplopus sp. Columbia large. Columbia means that it's a new world. Good choices though.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
H. villosella are pretty opportunistic. The female I had didn't bother burrowing really, but she had tons of fun webbing like a GBB would. They do accept pieces of corkbark as hides, seldomly grow bigger than 2.5" and don't like moist substrate. They're from Tanzania afaik and there's a rumor (since I have never heard prove of that) that their bite can be as bad as an H. mac (which, although being OW, I somewhat doubt). They're pretty fast and usually rather run / hide instead of standing their ground. Though my female decided a couple times to show me that she is indeed OW. Great species, good looks, easy to care for. IMO a good 1st OW in my personal experience.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I currently have an adult female heterothele villosella in my collection right now she was my 1st ow this time around, unlike the 1 storm had mine started a burrow the minute I put her in her enclosure I'd put an hide in there and she preceded to dig a burrow behind and underneath the hide. I agree these are 1 of the best ows to start with if you don't mind dwarf species. I may get burnt for this but I wouldn't recommend using a water dish with this species as the amount of webbing is really excessive they make a GBB seem lazy it's the only adult I have without a water dish as they tend to not like it humid. They come across really shy and alittle elusive all in all though they are beautiful,fascinating and I feel a must have if you like dwarf species. Here a quick picture of mine taken 2 weeks ago

Attachments

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
They are a communal species as well, so you can make some pretty cool set ups with them. I got four adults together which is great fun, but if you decide to go communal with them, be very careful when you open the lid, because they are fast as hell.

awiec

Arachnoprince
From what I've seen of them they are basically African wolf spiders in the temperament realm, very fast and shy. As for what they do in their cages they kinda use whatever they have, in the wild they live under tree bark if it's around so I'd suggest providing some cork and nice sub and watch what happens.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I currently have an adult female heterothele villosella in my collection right now she was my 1st ow this time around, unlike the 1 storm had mine started a burrow the minute I put her in her enclosure I'd put an hide in there and she preceded to dig a burrow behind and underneath the hide. I agree these are 1 of the best ows to start with if you don't mind dwarf species. I may get burnt for this but I wouldn't recommend using a water dish with this species as the amount of webbing is really excessive they make a GBB seem lazy it's the only adult I have without a water dish as they tend to not like it humid. They come across really shy and alittle elusive all in all though they are beautiful,fascinating and I feel a must have if you like dwarf species. Here a quick picture of mine taken 2 weeks ago
I haven't given mine water dishes either just because everything ends up buried in a thick layer of dirt and silk. Instead because the silk is so absolutely thick I just pour water on to the web directly and it doesn't drain through. It just pools up in to a puddle that slowly evaporates over the course of a few days. The spider can still drink from it and the substrate never gets wet. Win-Win.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I haven't given mine water dishes either just because everything ends up buried in a thick layer of dirt and silk. Instead because the silk is so absolutely thick I just pour water on to the web directly and it doesn't drain through. It just pools up in to a puddle that slowly evaporates over the course of a few days. The spider can still drink from it and the substrate never gets wet. Win-Win.
I have to do that with my M.balfouri and avics, the latter have water dishes but they like to drink from their web

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have to do that with my M.balfouri and avics, the latter have water dishes but they like to drink from their web
Bad idea. Avics need a big water dish to keep humidity up. And they still do use water dishes, I can personally attest to that.

cold blood

Staff member
See the word : latter

as it refers to the avics, which HAVE water dishes...:wink:

Bad idea. Avics need a big water dish to keep humidity up. And they still do use water dishes, I can personally attest to that.
I don't think you read her post quite right.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
See the word : latter

as it refers to the avics, which HAVE water dishes...:wink:

I don't think you read her post quite right.
Ahh my mistake. I thought she said she was going to remove the dishes from the Avic cages. I apologize for my incompetence:alien:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The trick with offering a waterdish for these, is to not place it on the groundlevel of the cage. I did construct an experimental cage for my female back then (used a normal acrylic cage from Adam but decorated it quite interestingly).

Here's a vid about her and showing the enclosure I did for her - this worked very nicely. The Waterdish is elevated on the upper 1/3 of the cage and didn't get webbed up that much at all in the end.

[YOUTUBE]chNnXgMlnnM[/YOUTUBE]

awiec

Arachnoprince
Ahh my mistake. I thought she said she was going to remove the dishes from the Avic cages. I apologize for my incompetence:alien:
It's cool as a dyslexic I don't hold speed reading against people and I'm gone so much that waterdishes are a must for most of my spiders. Even the M.balfouri has a dish but it webs over it so I just let the water sit on the webbing.