One Giant Leap

pinktoed

Arachnopeon
So I just made my first online order with ken the bug guy (couldn't pass up his Memorial Day sale) and it's a big jump for me. So far I've only acquired my ts from pet stores and only have 3 (a avic, g porteri, a seemani). I'm scheduled to receive 4 spiderlings tomorrow which is new territory for me and also 2 old worlds which is also obviously new territory. A .25 inch curly hair, .5 inch n chromatus, .5 inch c marshalli, .75 inch c cyaneopubescens, and a 2+ inch unsexed e pachypus. I finally feel like a collector. There might be no reason to this post besides to spark some conversation about these species or about all of your first orders, but the main reason is really just because I'm very excited. I will definitely be posting updates. Thanks for reading.

ciColors

Arachnopeon
nice buys!

just today i bought 3 more slings to bring me up to 5 Ts...don't think i'll be getting anymore though, as space is limited.

one of them being n. chromatus as well, they just have amazing colors. like you, i kinda feel this is a big jump for a newb, the slings just look so delicate..

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Congrats on your buy! C. Marshalli is a good OW to start with because they are less potent than other species and they are much less "high strung". It was actually my first OW too and I still really love the whole genus. Make sure it has a few inches to burrow in because they really love to dig.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Congrats on your buy! C. Marshalli is a good OW to start with because they are less potent than other species and they are much less "high strung". It was actually my first OW too and I still really love the whole genus. Make sure it has a few inches to burrow in because they really love to dig.
I like this Species but my female got stuck in a molt, Right after I bought it and I guess a tragic loss and Im low in money now too...Hope my two babys end up female.

I rarely see Ts stuck in molt what a shame R.I.P. I wont buy anymore adult Ts for a while lol
I prefer raising baby Ts.

pinktoed

Arachnopeon
All of my ts have been received and housed (my god it took awhile) and they all look like they're in good shape! I don't think i understood just how tiny they are! I'm really excited to watch them grow!

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
All of my ts have been received and housed (my god it took awhile) and they all look like they're in good shape! I don't think i understood just how tiny they are! I'm really excited to watch them grow!
Right on. :)

The first time you see a sling for yourself it's quite the experience. A bit like The Ugly Duckling story...they start off as these tiny little things that don't look much different from the spiders you find in your back yard, then they grow into these beautiful, impressive creatures. Watching slings grow and change has become my favorite part of being in the hobby. :D

Enjoy your slings! And you should post pics of them if you get the chance. ;)

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
GBBs are SOOO much fun to raise!! Color changes with every molt, relatively quick growth and the amazing structures they web are some of my favorite things ab them. You're going to love having one!!

cold blood

Staff member
GBBs are SOOO much fun to raise!! Color changes with every molt, relatively quick growth and the amazing structures they web are some of my favorite things ab them. You're going to love having one!!
Same for marshalli and chromatus.

Marshalli are incredible eaters, excellent burrowers and they web a lot. They've also grown faster then some other baboons I've raised, consistently molting in the 30 day range. The horns take a bit to start showing themselves...my biggest is the only one showing and its probably 2.5"....I can just see dots on the others, but they are barely 2" or less....possibly they are just all males, I dunno. Really cool t that I think is underrated due to its low price tag. Spectacular spider, I love them and will get more in the future....slick looking ts they are.

Chromatus are also excellent eaters, like to burrow when younger, and despite being skittish, they don't remain frightened for long (maybe they're related to the sand people...hehe). on top of that they grow quite fast, I raised 17 so far and almost like clockwork they molt on a monthly basis. Most grow quickly, like 1/4" in December to the 2" range today, but some aren't so lucky...3 remain at about 1.25" despite eating well and molting on the same schedule. On top of that, like the gbb, you get to slowly watch the colors "come in", then brighten...and this all happens by 1.5"ish. As they get older (I also have a 4" one), their molting schedule slows, obviously, but my bigger one is still molting about every 65-75 days. I enjoy raising this species a whole bunch and could see having many new ones every couple years.

Good choices:smile:

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Right on. :)

The first time you see a sling for yourself it's quite the experience. A bit like The Ugly Duckling story...they start off as these tiny little things that don't look much different from the spiders you find in your back yard, then they grow into these beautiful, impressive creatures. Watching slings grow and change has become my favorite part of being in the hobby. :D

Enjoy your slings! And you should post pics of them if you get the chance. ;)
Haha but sometimes you gotta buy an adult just for the heck of it. Impatience will pick at you ;)

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
Nice buy, good starter OWs.. I'm jelly over the ceratogyrus, I can only dream of owning those *sigh*

pinktoed

Arachnopeon
All of your responses make me even more proud of my purchase. I went ahead and tried feeding the gbb cause it was clearly the least affected from the shipping and it nailed a mealworm right as it hit the substrate. Already satisfied with this species. I will get pictures and post them at some point this weekend.

TsunamiSpike

Arachnosquire
Gotta admit,whilst it's nice to but sub adults sometimes I tend to buy slings and juvies now. Partly because they're cheaper and partly because it's fun to watch them grow.

cold blood

Staff member
All of your responses make me even more proud of my purchase. I went ahead and tried feeding the gbb cause it was clearly the least affected from the shipping and it nailed a mealworm right as it hit the substrate. Already satisfied with this species. I will get pictures and post them at some point this weekend.
They would probably all eat if you offered, they should all eat similarly well.

Many offer food the same day, I do this often. I'm not saying out of the shipping vial and in with food, but later that day or sooner of the t seems to be acclimating quickly. A quick bite to eat will also induce webbing post-kill, which can also hasten the acclimation process IME.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Nice buy, good starter OWs.. I'm jelly over the ceratogyrus, I can only dream of owning those *sigh*
Why you can't? You live in the "home" of Baboon T'S. Or there's a law who ban for South African people to own Southern African T's?

cold blood

Staff member
But not even if the "local" specimen in question is a captive breed T, sent from a foreign nation such UK? I understand for WC specimen.
If you are not allowed to keep the species, how do you get a cb population?

They reason that by allowing them, people would easily be able to catch them and insert them into the hobby....how could they tell wc apart from cb? If they are not allowed, collection wouldn't be an issue and enforcement would be much much eaiser.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod

They reason that by allowing them, people would easily be able to catch them and insert them into the hobby....how could they tell wc apart from cb? If they are not allowed, collection wouldn't be an issue and enforcement would be much much eaiser.
And this law is for every Baboon, or only Ceratogyrus sp.?

---------- Post added 06-06-2015 at 11:53 PM ----------

No, but.. how they (the gov.) can be sure that, no one, maybe during a trip outside towns, search for WC Baboons with a catch cup and bring the T at home?