Possums can fly, but tarantulas can't so...

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Well, in thirty-three days, I will be going on the first really big adventure in my entire life. I am going to Alberta Canada to spend two weeks with a friend. After some debate, I've decided that I am not comfortable with leaving my spiders here where they will not be looked after. Now, I have friends who live in Ohio, which is where the adventure officially begins, I leave from the Cleveland airport. These friends have volunteered to look after my spiders in my absence. I figure they stand about as good a chance somewhere else than they do here alone, so I am trying to think of all the instructions I should give. I wish to keep their effort as minimal as possible. So what instructions should I detail?
My species:
A geniculata 3/4" housed in small deli-cup (My #1 worry, naturally)
L parahybana 3" Housed in Kritter keeper
B. Smithi 2" Housed in small tupperware-style container
E. Campestratus, Probably 2 1/2" or so. Housed in one-pound size deli container
G. Pulchripes, 1.35" Housed in one-pound size deli container
Hapalopus pumpkin patch large, mature male maybe 2", housed in small kritter keeper.

They have cats. Prime directive number one is to be sure to make the best effort possible to segregate the spiders from where the cats might be is made. but what other instructions should i give them? I'm not too concerned about them going without being fed for 16 days, though I could supply food. What pratfalls should I warn them about? Should I just recommend filling the water lids when they start to get low and dispense with suggesting they be overflowed or the substrate be dampened? What I am shooting for are instructions to make this as goof-proof as possible. I am not going to hold them responsible as i am certain they will do the best they can. If anything goes wrong, it won't be through willful neglect. In fact, the only thing I am truly worried over is those cats, I wish they were not part of the equation. I will provide them with a thermometer that while probably not particularly accurate, I'd be able to say "Don't let this room get above/below a safe range" and offer a basic minimum/maximum.
I intend to ask them a few questions like do they routinely have an exterminator in to spray, are they using any pesticides for fleas and what sorts if so.
So yeah, I guess I'm just looking for input as to how I should prep them to be spider-sitters. My friend had a G rosea decades ago, and that is about the extent of his experience. his wife has no experience at all, her only concern is that they not escape.

I will provide two sizes of tongs in case they need to remove a dirt-filled water lid, a spray bottle so they can set it on "stream" and fill the water lids by squirting into the lids, a supply of mealworms or crickets if it is decided the spiders should be fed in the interim (doubtful that I reach that decision) and maybe some sort of catch-cup, though I shudder that that could be needed.) I have a couple in premoult now, and I think the rest will wait until my return to go into moult as they probably won't be due until after that. There would be little to be done about it if a moult occurred anyway.

Okay, I covered the situation and my thoughts, so along with that, maybe a very general "care-sheet" can be formulated from that and any advice I can get here. I also have my Smeringurus mesaensis, the dune scorpion, but I am leaving it here and hoping for the best. It should not need water, so hopefully it can just chill while I am gone. I don't think they will be comfortable with it and what's the use of transporting it if it can live on autopilot? (I'm willing to stand corrected on that.)

Hellemose

Arachnopeon
should be enough if they just check for water.

if there is a water dish - empty it if there is dirt in it and fill it up with clean water.

if there is no water dish spray a small part of the enclosure. (1-2 times a week max.)

if you make sure they have eaten a couple of days before you leave they should be just fine.

regarding the cats, you could find a large plastic tub/box where the T's containers/enclosures fit into, it will ease the moving them and it will provide safety from curious cats who might be able to tip, tilt, turn over a small enclosure.