P. Imperator questions

TarantulaObsession

Arachnosquire
Prices for a P. Imperator are sky rocketing. When I saw them for sale for $20 a piece, I jumped on it that very day. I didn't do much research but I own tarantulas so the basics are very similar, I assume. Now, I've read the sticky on these guys, however, I still have one question after that. The guy I bought it from encouraged me to buy two because in his experience, they do better in groups or pairs. Is this true? Should I get another one?

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
For $20 each I'm wondering if you didn't get a heterometrus species (giant forest scorpion) instead. They are similar looking and still being wild caught, they are much less expensive. Do you have a photo?

TarantulaObsession

Arachnosquire
Its still a baby but here it is snacking on a piece of a superworm. (I know the piece is too big, I just didn't notice it before I tossed it in) uploadfromtaptalk1432827956948.jpg

I can ask the guy for a photo of the mama if needed.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
IME, P imperator typically do better in colonies. They're easy enough to breed. (I can't seem to stop mine lol) As more are bred in captivity, the prices are liable to come down, though probably not to previous lows. With the restrictions on export and import, they are no longer a "throw away" species.

---------- Post added 05-28-2015 at 12:09 PM ----------

Gravid females will drive off or kill persistent males. A colony has to have a big enough enclosure that the adult males can set up housekeeping separate from the females.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well my buddy just sold an emperor scorpion female for $250... looks like prices aren't going down any time soon!

truecreature

Arachnoknight
Well my buddy just sold an emperor scorpion female for $250... looks like prices aren't going down any time soon!
Haha man, it's amazing how high those prices jump when import is cut off. I remember getting one of these for around $15-$20 as a teen

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The availability of emperors are scarce, while the demand is still high! I've also heard they might never be imported ever again....

Four years ago, I use to be able to find subadult emperors for $25.

The Centipede

Arachnosquire
Ken the bug guy sells Emporers for 105.00 for good sized and 85.00 for small ones plus 30.00 shipping

---------- Post added 05-28-2015 at 01:18 PM ----------

Emperors* typo sorry

TarantulaObsession

Arachnosquire
I have absolutely no interest in breeding. The scorp. is a present for my father and I have my doubts on him wanting to breed. However, if I get another one, they will be sibling, if they turn out to be a male and a female, would they mate? If so, would this be a problem?

Jarvis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
it's hard to tell but could you get a better pic of the scorp, I think it might be a Heterometrus sp. from that pic, anything with the patella. If it is a emp. they should be fine to keep in a communal tank. If they are male and female you should get a brood from them easily.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sounds like someone got ripped a new one.

---------- Post added 05-29-2015 at 01:28 PM ----------

The availability of emperors are scarce, while the demand is still high! I've also heard they might never be imported ever again....

Four years ago, I use to be able to find subadult emperors for $25.
A few years ago, pet stores were selling them for $10.

Jarvis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You have a great looking scorp, but I definitely doubt it is a emperor, looks more like a Heterometrus sp. which one I'm not that certain, they are kept generally the same way though

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, there was a line trying to fight for the female (I thought that too, but she sold in a week). There's not many people who have them and I never see them for sale... it's only going to get worse...

My local pet stores had them for approximately $25.

TarantulaObsession

Arachnosquire
Here's my true Emperors and their mom with the babies. I hope this helps and i don't think you have an Emperor.
No offence but I fail to see how your comment could have helped in any way. My original question was not about the sp. of my scorp. but the ability to keep it by it's self and the possibility of sibling mating if I were to get a second.
You do have beautiful scorps though c: I look forward to mine maturing into a beautiful adult. ^~^

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
No offence but I fail to see how your comment could have helped in any way. My original question was not about the sp. of my scorp. but the ability to keep it by it's self and the possibility of sibling mating if I were to get a second.
You do have beautiful scorps though c: I look forward to mine maturing into a beautiful adult. ^~^
It was a helpful answer actually. P. Imperator is more easy kept communally than H. spinifer. It's good to know what species you have in order to care for them.